Keeping Working Breeds Or Big Dogs In Small Spaces

dee lee

Deelee, totally off topic, but have you read Dean Koontz's book A Big Little Life? It's the story of his GR Trixie and how she came into their lives (she was an ex-service dog) and how she completely changed the way they lived. If you haven't, I think you would absolutely love it. He is a HUGE fan of GR's and does a lot towards the GR Service dog charities in the US and the way he writes about Trixie coming into his life is just wonderful.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lived in Europe in 2 bedroom apartment no balcony. 4 persons and 2 GSDs. Both Sch trained. Had visitors daily from kids to grownups. Never had an issue. Moved in Oz. Living in 4 bedroom house on 1200 sqm yard. My back fence is Parkland. 2 grownups with child. 1 Gsd. Still no enough time in a day to spend with the dog ( as much as i think she needs) . I think when I was overseas the dogs were happier had more interaction with humans then now.

i think the space of the backyard is not important it is the time that you can spend actively with the dog.

Deelee, totally off topic, but have you read Dean Koontz's book A Big Little Life? It's the story of his GR Trixie and how she came into their lives (she was an ex-service dog) and how she completely changed the way they lived. If you haven't, I think you would absolutely love it. He is a HUGE fan of GR's and does a lot towards the GR Service dog charities in the US and the way he writes about Trixie coming into his life is just wonderful.

:D You have to be a GR owner to fully appreciate this book. I've just finished it and although I also own two GSD's it's totally for the GR lovers out there.

I think, rather than the amount of space the dog needs, the things to be considered, whereever you live are

activity level of the breed

stimulation necessary to the dog for happiness

busy-ness level

noise level

So, if you have a small garden, a dog with a high activity level is not the right dog, although a big dog may be. If the dog needs stimulation, and you can provide it, it doesn't matter how big the yard is.

Busy-ness level - this would rule out a working dog, as most of them need to be doing things.

Noise level - consider the original function of the dog - is he from a guarding breed, or a terrier? A guarding breed, even a small one such as a Tibetan Spaniel will bark a lot, it's what he was bred to do.

A terrier will be extra alert, and will probably bark at any strange noises, more than other breeds.

If I was considering a new breed, or a breed for a specific space, I would list the desirable qualities, and check out the information on some of the breeds I liked. It is amazing how finding out exactly what the breed is like - ie, barks a lot; lazy; active - will change your opinion.

I think the type of dog to fit the available space is important, and if the correct choice is made, a lifetime of harmony should follow.

No one shoot me - but I often think people choose labradors because there is a lot of information about them, and they have nice friendly faces. If people knew more about other breeds which would have the same attributes as a lab, but perhaps in another package, or with more of something and less of another, they would be happy with that instead. Not bagging labs at all. Nice dogs.

GayleK - haven't read that Koontz book yet, but am longing to. Had to choose between that and his latest thriller, so went for the thriller.

His style of writing has changed a bit, most of the books except his really early ones, feature dogs, mostly GR, and some of them are very dog, and rescue dog, orientated. But you probably know that already. The change in his style happened about the time Trixie moved in.

He has another GR now.

Edited by Jed

:D You have to be a GR owner to fully appreciate this book. I've just finished it and although I also own two GSD's it's totally for the GR lovers out there.

That's it! I'm not going to bother finishing my current book and go straight to A Big Little Life. A friend recommended it the other day so I immediately bought it on my Kindle :(

My mother constantly pounds me with the fact I have a working dog and she should be in the country, it really annoys me! My girl is very active even on her own in the mornings, she runs around the backyard chasing flies and bees, even after a walk, but I'm home most of the day, I do a LOT of training on and off through the day (obedience and tricks), she has off leash running and swimming but not everyday and she has walks. But she does stop and rest in the afternoons, ready to go again in the evenings! I think it is a matter of being aware of what stimulation your dog needs.

Don't you just love those people who like to tell you that working breeds shouldn't be in the city! I've had a few comments made about how cruel I am for having BC's in the suburbs by random people. I just nod and smile :thumbsup:

Working dogs seem to do fine in Centennial Park dog area, herding my Papillon :thumbsup:

I have 2 kelpies and they have 5 acres to play on, but will only use it if im out there with them. We worked in the yard all day saturday and they ran all day as well chasing butterflies, swimming in the dam and had a great day, but wouldnt do it unless i was out there. If we are inside, they are asleep on the lounge:-)... but in saying that, they would go crazy if they didnt have their daily walks and runs, as i take them every morning for a cross country run, and they love it, so what keeps them on track with happiness is the activities they do with me out of the yard

:o You have to be a GR owner to fully appreciate this book. I've just finished it and although I also own two GSD's it's totally for the GR lovers out there.

That's it! I'm not going to bother finishing my current book and go straight to A Big Little Life. A friend recommended it the other day so I immediately bought it on my Kindle :D

Thanks for the recommendation Gayle K and gsdog2! :rofl:

Sounds like me! :) Honey certainly has turned my life around. I'm going to look for it asap!

Jed, reading your post it struck me how well suited to small yards big dogs are! Generally speaking they are much calmer and less likely to race around.

The only issue I have is physical size- I love giant breeds but would find it hard to live in my house with one, not enough space to negotiate :laugh: .

The only issue I have is physical size- I love giant breeds but would find it hard to live in my house with one, not enough space to negotiate :o .

You teach them the 'move' command, so they get out of the way of where you are going, and the 'wait' command, so they don't attempt to enter a confined area with you. You just get used to giving these commands without thinking too much, and the dog learns to stay out of the way too.

The only issue I have is physical size- I love giant breeds but would find it hard to live in my house with one, not enough space to negotiate :o .

You teach them the 'move' command, so they get out of the way of where you are going, and the 'wait' command, so they don't attempt to enter a confined area with you. You just get used to giving these commands without thinking too much, and the dog learns to stay out of the way too.

We have enough trouble with Honey, I'd hate to think the paws I'd tread on with a greyhound or a mastiff!! There is no where to move to. :rofl:

Ok, I have quite a large yard by today's standards, but my two aren't in it during the day, they're in the house, so it would be somewhat like having dogs in an apartment. I have one working breed x and one large dog, and they do fine.

My large boy has always been a couch potato...he loves getting out and about to take in the sights and smells but he's never been overly active. When he's let out into the yard when I get home, he invariably just finds a nice spot to lie down, and has always done that.

My kelpie x is surprisingly good. She did trash the couch when she was younger, but I doubt anyone's house has made it through puppydom unscathed, so I don't believe breed comes into that. Occasionally the naughty thing will raid the recycling bin if it's getting full, but that's only 'cos she's food driven and wants to lick the tins. She self exercises by doing a couple of mad laps of the yard making sure that no doves have dared enter her garden, and then usually finds somewhere to lie down (until a bird lands and then she's off again), or just wanders (well, more like trots) around having a sniff. Usually she is walked every day but Perth's just come through the most stinking hot summer ever so I haven't been walking her much as she's black and heats up easily. We've been doing brain work instead. I do think that she's not AS active as a pure kelpie or BC would be though, so whatever else is in her is quietening her down a bit. Given that we think it could be dobermann, I'm not quite sure how. :o

Oh...and with large dogs in small spaces, you get adept at squeezing past them or stepping over them after a while.

So long as they don't decide to get up when you're half way over (which they do all too often) it's fine. :thumbsup:

You also get good at teaching 'back up', 'out of the way', 'go to your beds', and 'no you don't fit there'. :cry:

Edited by Diva

Oh...and with large dogs in small spaces, you get adept at squeezing past them or stepping over them after a while.

So long as they don't decide to get up when you're half way over (which they do all too often) it's fine. :thumbsup:

You also get good at teaching 'back up', 'out of the way', 'go to your beds', and 'no you don't fit there'. :cry:

And my favourite which works best is "Beep Beep" :)

I had Buster in a house without a fenced yard for 2 months. He had a LOT more energy to burn from being cooped up more often and being an only dog but with a bit more effort he was fine.

So long as they don't decide to get up when you're half way over (which they do all too often) it's fine. :banghead:

You also get good at teaching 'back up', 'out of the way', 'go to your beds', and 'no you don't fit there'. :laugh:

And my favourite which works best is "Beep Beep" ;)

:rofl: I am definitely teaching that!!!

I have 2 kelpies and they have 5 acres to play on, but will only use it if im out there with them. We worked in the yard all day saturday and they ran all day as well chasing butterflies, swimming in the dam and had a great day, but wouldnt do it unless i was out there. If we are inside, they are asleep on the lounge:-)... but in saying that, they would go crazy if they didnt have their daily walks and runs, as i take them every morning for a cross country run, and they love it, so what keeps them on track with happiness is the activities they do with me out of the yard

My GSD could have 100 acres of free access to the most exciting terrain and physical pleasures that a dog could ever wish for, but by his own choice, he would be laying at someones feet or following one of us around the house all day and be comfortable living in a one bedroom flat. He would enjoy to run the 100 acres, providing one of us was out there with him.