Good Book For Novice Dog Owner......

My niece has just got her very own dog..... the first she has owned outright. She is a sensible girl & has an affinity with animals. She took over the training, care & feeding of her boyfriend's dog whose appearance & behaviour have improved out of sight :laugh:

However as this was not "her" dog she wanted her own. She has adoted an eighteen month old lurcher from a shelter, & as she is in UK, it is a bit difficult for me to give her guidance.

There are a lot of dog training books out there, some of which I have read, but I am interested in getting other opinions as to a good book to give as a gift to someone who is really just setting out in the dog world.

"The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia O'Connell.

It's a good/easy read - which in itself makes it a good book for the novice and/or young person. I like that the book encourages people to see it from the dog's point of view, the dog being a dog (as opposed to being a baby human, which many people treat them as).

Also, Cesar Milan's "Be a Pack Leader" (or something like that). Whether you like some of CM's actual methods or not, I found this book good from the point of view that it talks about being assertive, being calm, being consistent ..... and gives the reader an idea of how they can do that fairly naturally.

Edited by Erny