A Canine Nether Regions Question

Sorry in advance for the content of this thread.

I noticed Osca licking himself on his penis tonight.

When I looked it was red and there was a yellowy brownish discharge stuck on the end. It did not have an offensive odour. I read on another thread this discharge could be smegma. .

Can someone tell me if a desexed dog still produces smegma? Osca has never had this issue before.

Thanks

PP

Thankyou very much for your replies.

I had to remove the dried discharge it myself as it was stuck. I think he was licking it trying to remove it and this may be why his penis is red but I am guessing.

I have never had to do this before. Would there be a reason it had become stuck there this time? He was groomed only weeks ago so all is as normal in that area.

Yellow/brownish sounds the wrong colour. Take him for a vet check if it comes back again.

I don't clip all the hair off the penis, don't think its a good idea, just trim any long dangly hair, but some groomers do.

Maybe he was clipped a bit close ?

Sounds like balantitis to me. Very common, nothing too sinister. Basically just a mild inflammation of the end of the penis. All male dogs are susceptible to it and many have it and their owners don't even notice.

Try flushing with warm saline.

Sometimes, too, if the long hairs at the end of the sheath are trimmed short , you may get discharge/urine gathering at the end of the sheath...drying and irritating

Those long hairs are there for a reason.. to channel liquid away from the opening.

I would also suggest flushing with warm saline a couple times a day .. and see how it goes .