Puppy Freaked Me Out At Pre-school

JudyG

Not sure if this should be in Puppy Problems - might post in both

I took my almost 10 week old westie, Meg to her first pre-school class last night. She started out really well, ineracted well with other dogs etc then during grooming topic we were wiping their ears and she growled and turned to nip me. The trained was quite concerned by her reaction and got the school owner to chat with me afterwards. When she picked her up ( can't remember whether she tried to touch her ears or anything) Meg went nuts, tried ti turn on her and peed on her too. She held her until she calmed down ( she growled and tried to snap for quite a while) then eventually quietened down so she let her down. She told me I need to correct her firmly, with a gruff 'uh' and a tug on her collar, staring her in the eye calmly and not let her go until she is quiet

So I was quite concerned by Meg's behaviour as she has been a happy outgoing puppy so far, only issues are she has complained a but sometimes when picked up and wants down and has been mouthing and yapping a bit both of which I assume are fairly common until they are trained not to.

We went home, she went to sleep in her pen only to wake up yelping fearfully, I let her out and she just stood with her head down and tail between her legs. i tried to crate her for bed as normal ( she has been crated successfully since we brought her home) and she carried on like that for hours, either yelping or just standing looking out dolefully and panting. She would drift off to sleep only to wake up yelping again.Eventuallly slept around 4am for a couple if hours. She was obviously seriously spooked by something. She seems ok today - a bit quieter than normal but she will be tired and it is very hot here today.

I can't help but think the two events must be connected - I rang the trainer who thinks not as she says puppies put things behind them very quickly but was concerned about the agression and suggested we take her twice weekly instead of weekly to the classes (at no extra charge)

I don't know what to think - I am keen to nip any problem in the bud but am confused as before we took her to preschool she had been fine

Any ideas/ advice much appreciated

Get her vet checked, there might be something that is causing her pain which might explain her reactions.

I would also recommend a behaviourist over a trainer, as to me that sounds like your puppy might be scared rather than agressive in which case correcting her is more likely to make the problem worse.

Note that without a qualified person seeing her you can't determine what's causing this, this is just my thoughts based on the information you have given. It's impossible to diagnose something like this over the internet.

If you tell us where you are located someone might be able to suggest a good behaviourist for you.

It sounds as if she was either injured before the trainer picked her up... or she was injured during that fearful episode :)

Either that or she is severely traumatised. :)

May I suggest you not go back there, until you get a trainer or someone to see her at home, and help you work on the mouthing, picking up routine, etc. Remember, YOU have her most of the time- it is your responsibility to train her in manners :bottom:

She may have issues that you have not picked up on....

Get her vet checked, there might be something that is causing her pain which might explain her reactions.

I would also recommend a behaviourist over a trainer, as to me that sounds like your puppy might be scared rather than agressive in which case correcting her is more likely to make the problem worse.

Note that without a qualified person seeing her you can't determine what's causing this, this is just my thoughts based on the information you have given. It's impossible to diagnose something like this over the internet.

If you tell us where you are located someone might be able to suggest a good behaviourist for you.

I am in Fig Tree Pocket, Brisbane (western suburbs)

your dog is not aggressive it is in pain. And no puppy just flips like that.

Get a thorough vet check, even visit a chiropractor. Stressfull situations will not cause that amount of anguish for hours on end, physical pain will. One of the other pups could have hurt her, you touched it, then the trainer pinned her while she was sore and stressed hence the urination. Aggressive dogs do not piss on themselves, sore or scared dogs do.

Do not take up the lessons, I would get a good thorough vet check then find a behaviorist (Many people recommend Jane Harper up there I think) but your pup should get over it no worries.

Yep get her checked out by a vet... a holistic vet or chiro might be good in case she's put something out. And yes Jane Harper is the person that I would recommend here in QLD... I really need to ask her for commissions!!! :laugh:

Judy:

staring her in the eye calmly and not let her go until she is quiet

Find another puppy preschool - that is outdated and potentially quite dangerous advice.

Agree with the others, first eliminate potential medical reasons for the behaviour THEN focus on other potential triggers.

You could just have an intolerant pup with a low bite threshold that the instructor scared the shit out of. There are far more effective and non-confrontational ways of teaching tolerance for handling.

I had a westie pup growl and nip during initial touch work last night at PPS but soon settled happily.

Your pup sounds as though there is something much more sinister going on.

Get to a vet and get another trainer!

Edited by Kelpie-i