Drop Command (lay Down)

PuggaWuggles

Hi all,

I have read all the threads on this,but still cant get my little Pug to to lay down.I use the word Drop,as Down is used for off the couch,and to get something from him he should not have is Tar.Supprisingly for a pug he is not excited about any treats,if i try to make him drop with a treat,he runs away and thinks its a game,i have tried a few different treats,but none really get him drooling.

Any advise would be most welcome and appreciated.

Is there anything he really likes that he would work for?

A good method a DOL member recently showed me was to have your hand just in front of the back legs on their belly and with some food in your hand, pass it just over their nose and back towards their tail. To get it, they need to fall back into a down. Just have to make sure they don't step backwards.

How about using his dinner or something?

I have a similar (well...not really) problem with my short legged basset X....

She's so close to the ground even if I lure her with a yummy treat she will just follow it with her head and thus far I have NEVER managed to get her to drop.

• 2 weeks later...

get your dog to follow a reward (food or toy) beneath something that they would need to crawl under (with smaler dogs you can get the to go underneath your legs when you are sat on the floor) as soon as the dog hits the decks, then you reward.

I have a similar (well...not really) problem with my short legged basset X....

She's so close to the ground even if I lure her with a yummy treat she will just follow it with her head and thus far I have NEVER managed to get her to drop.

Sometimes in class we have a dog that won't follow the treat to the ground and the handler keeps trying over and over without success. Instead of immediately trying again I get the handler to take the treat to the ground and then wait with the treat in hand on the ground (held so the dog can't get it out until you release it of course!). Most dogs will eventually drop down if the treat doesn't keep coming back up, you just have to outwait them. At first don't give the command until after they have dropped then do it immediately release the treat and praise. When they get the idea that they are not getting the treat until they do it then start giving the command as you initiate the drop.

Edited by Paulp

• 5 weeks later...

I posted this on another forum.

I use a food lure in my hand when teaching a new command. No words & the luring hand becomes the hand signal which the dog learns 1st. I add the cue word after a few repetitions.

Some dogs take longer than others to learn lay down,or drop than others. They usually stand up. I try different methods ie start with the lure at dogs nose, then straight to the ground & out away from their legs. If that doesn't work same lure but this time take your hand between dogs legs towards the tummy. Being a doxie & low to the ground this may not work. It's usually hard to tell if they are dropped or still sitting. Have them sit with their rear end up against a wall to try & prevent them moving backwards.

If all of those fail you can sit on the floor with your legs out in front with 1 knee slightly bent. Lure the dog under you leg with the food. You leave just enough clearance for the dog to have to crawl under your legs. Do this a few times then add the cue.

If all else fails, each time you see Molly lying down on the floor tell her what she's doing so she starts to associate the word with what she's doing.

• 6 months later...
Once they are lying down, how do you get them to stay?!!!

does your dog have a release word? Do they understand (really understand) it?

If not, teach them the release word first (with something easy like sit), and then they'll soon learn to stay down until you release them.

Yes, we have a release word.

She stays when we ask her to sit.... but for some reason, she is not so keen on 'staying' while lying down - at least not when we have asked her to do so!

I will keep working on it. I read somewhere that drop/down, is like push ups for dogs and that they should do 50 per day! Not that I get her to do anywhere near that, but maybe I should up the anti!