Grooming A Bc With Dags

Got Spots

I am going home at Christmas and from the description my mum has given is that our poor old BC at home needs a good groom

It seems to be my job whenever I go home to tidy up the dog

Basically I can foresee what it is going to be like and after some advice on how to tackle the problem and tools I might need

She will have matted hair down both her back legs and little on her tail and around her ears and just lots of dead under coat

I usually resort to chopping all the matted hair off her back legs b/c they are usually quite dense then brush

Should I use a furminator on her for the rest of the job on her coat to clean her up a bit

- she is medium haired

No it doesnt sound like the furminator will be the best tool for you. I get dogs this time every year come in the same way.

I have found that a wide toothed rake is a good start to pick through the matting, splitting it with scissors can help too. Then as you make progess use a finer rake. It can be a tedious process but I find it works well without hacking at the coat. :laugh:

I'd just cut off all the longer hair, no point leaving it if the parents aren't going to brush it anyway.

I'd use a slicker brush and comb to work through the knots and a rake to work out the rest of the dead coat.

Cut it off, be done with it. But not skin short, leave an inche or so, don't want the sun getting at her.

Plus if she's elderly she won't beable to stand for the period of time you'd need to get through it all.

Good luck..........have fun..lol

My BC is a farm dog, and I have to clip around her backside like crotching a sheep. I don't do it to skin though, just get rid of the long bits so they are about 3cm long. The rest of her coat I use a horse hair product called show sheen. It keeps the hair silky smooth so that it doesn't tangle with burrs or anything. There's other products called showsilk and No knots that are similar, all are available from most saddleries like Horseland.