Obedience Troubleshooting

Left and rights have never been my forte :rofl: Kudos to those who manage to put directional commands on their agility dogs and use them accurately. :)

Something I forgot to ask my "judge" last night and didn't realise beforehand.

I assumed change of positions was sit at heel and walk into a stand like you do a stand for exam, but it's not.

What's the done thing in a the trial ring - do you have space to step into position and give the command stand? Or do you let your dog sit at heel until ready to go and then give the stand command so they kick back into a stand without you moving anywhere?

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judge says next exercise is CoP. Then asks you to stand your dog between markers. Asks are you ready. Leave your dog.

The judging starts at the Leave your dog bit.

It is usually between the figure 8 markers so they have a guide to see how much forward movement the dog makes.

COP for novice the judge usually just says take up your position - so you can get your dog in a stand however which way you want. Lots heel them up and give them a stand signal. You could give the dog a stand signal from a sit. Exercise only commences when the dog is in a stand and the judge tells you to leave your dog.

• 1 month later...

I'm having trouble with the drop. I taught it with an exaggerated hand signal back when I was training at a club and now if I don't do that same signal both dogs will sit not drop. I realise that it was my fault not fading that signal early :o . What I'm trying to do is get them dropping just on a verbal then add the hand signal I want to use. I've been repeating drop/good drop when they're in a drop and putting the food on the ground between their legs. I'm hoping I'm doing the right thing :thanks: . Any tips :cry: .

Thats the theory :vomit: . I managed to break my open COP tonight by thinking I had her sitting up problem resolved so thought I would go ahead and reintroduce a stand ala UDX change of positions. Er nope then I was getting drop to stand rather than drop to sit - bloody athletic midget BCs :eek: . I wasn't even doing drop to stand only doing sit to stand :eek: .

Urggghhh - first UD trial for the year in just over 3 weeks and most of it is looking pretty pearshaped :thumbsup: . Not sure we have a hope in hell of it all coming together before then.

Wanted - one trained UD dog in exchange for a very broken one :champagne: .

For sale - 3 slightly used tollers, lovely to live with, but each with their own issues.

Alternatively - wanted to buy: A Sity Stay, a lockin on the dirtected glove, and a stand without leaping forward and upward

All required in the next week - as the Western Classic is only 2 weeks away ;)

:o:vomit::rofl:

I got some lovely heelwork tonight, too :laugh:

If we're advertising for things to buy, I'll love to buy a working SFE please. First trial of the year is this weekend then 2 weeks after that is the Classic, and I still don't have a working SFE! :laugh:

If I can get some heelwork in the trials like I did in training tonight and we still fail SFE, I'll still be a happy camper :)

I got some lovely heelwork tonight, too :)

If we're advertising for things to buy, I'll love to buy a working SFE please. First trial of the year is this weekend then 2 weeks after that is the Classic, and I still don't have a working SFE! :laugh:

If I can get some heelwork in the trials like I did in training tonight and we still fail SFE, I'll still be a happy camper :sleep:

Your kids worked really well tonight Rubystar you should be tickled pink with them :laugh:

Yes I am, they worked their little booties off :) Even when I utilised the distraction, I got some very lovely heelwork from Ruby. When we got too close, she did turn her head to look at them, but didn't run off! And you know that's what she would have done 6 months ago!!

After a perfect change of positions last week, it seems Ruby lost her sit last night. Repeated this morning for her brekky and was standing closer, and she still looked at me like :laugh: Funny how they know something one minute, act like they've never been taught it the next :D

Oh and I know this isn't the brags thread, but for the first time I did scent with the girls away from the house/backyard, and they did it! Though it still needs a yuuuuuuuuge tidy up, the present is an absolute shocker :( But the main thing was, they picked the scent out in a new place with distractions, so I was happy :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a question for those who are experienced obedience triallers...

As some would know, motivation in the obedience ring is something we've really struggled with, and I'm working on heaps of reward reward and more reward for any good work Darcy gives me.

At both of our trials on the weekend the judges gave me some good feedback. Really appreciated it, don't get me wrong, but my agility training is screaming at me - reward your poor bloody dog!!! She's just spent 5 mins in the ring working her butt off for you and now you've just spent another several minutes letting her switch off and boring her to tears. :dancingelephant:

I had a very quick play with her when she finished her COP but I can't play with my dog in the ring and pay attention to the judge. Any suggestions as to what is acceptable from an obedience perspective?

Ptolomy's words before I walked into the ring at my first UD trial was just go in and have fun, focus on the dog, play and make the ring the best place to be and don't necessarily pay to much attention to the judge :thumbsup: . As an example at our UD trial the other night while they were waiting to set up the articles or while they were picking up articles I got Ness to do leg weaves to keep her focused but also to perk her up a bit. If you have a trick that the dog really loves and have paired it with plenty of rewards you can use that in the ring to keep the dog enthusiastic. I guess a bit of play after each exercise if the dog finds it rewarding is fine :thumbsup: .

Our novice recall for example is always done from the far side of the ring. You are allowed to play games on the way down to get the dog motivated etc.