Advantage V Advantix

Mango

After Frontline became less effective for my dog, I moved to Advantage. Have always been very impressed with Advantage. Now into summer I've moved to Advantix. I thought it was supposed to be effective for fleas as well as ticks? But I'm finding the dog is still scratching a lot, must still have a flea or two.

Should I perhaps be alternating between the two products? I notice Advantix doesn't have the "perkins paste" smell of the Advantage, so perhaps its missing the ingredient that works for us with the fleas... What have been your experiences?

If you need something very effective for ticks then go with the Advantix. :laugh:

If you think there is a flea issue, I'd go to the supermarket and get some Capstar tabs - you can use both together with no problem :rofl:

I use Advantix as we are in a high tick area and I don't have any fleas :eek: Perhaps your dog has picked up a flea or two during the crossover period between applications? :confused:

I thought it was supposed to be effective for fleas as well as ticks? But I'm finding the dog is still scratching a lot, must still have a flea or two.

The dog could just be having the summer itchies. Lots of different reasons for dogs to scratch other than fleas. Diet, environment etc.

I use Advantix and find it really effective, I am in a high flea burden area.

I always used Advantage & found it very effective but when I couldn't get it in my area any more (Vets were only selling Frontline) I used the Frontline & found that just as effective & it had the added bonus of being waterproof.

Just recently I tried Advantix & found that it didn't work near as well as the Frontline or Advantage. Fleas were still on them a couple of weeks later. I then had to use Capstar.

Now that I can get Advantage again I will be alternating it with the Frontline to avoid (can't remember the word - having a senior moment) them getting used to it.

I've heard from a few different people that they haven't been happy with Advantix.

Last week my 3 yo long coat gsd came down with a mild dose of tick poison. She was not her lively self and was exercise intolerant.

Seem like the Advantix I applied 10 days earlier had worked, after an inspection we found a dead tick in her coat.

A few days rest and she is back to her normal self.

From now on Advantix is all I,ll be using.

Thanks all for your comments. I am definitely not getting the results from Advantix, tried it again after two weeks. My new Advantage has arrived in the post today, I will put it on him and see if he gets the usual relief. If not, then I guess there could be some grass or other allergy issue around us in our environment. But in the past Advantage has always solved our issues.

I really want some sort of tick protection too, as I take him out to the farm where my horses are, and we have ticks galore out there. :laugh:

Advantage and Advantix both have the same active ingredient for fleas - Imidicloprid (or however you spell it) so both will work the same.

Like Clyde suggested - I would be investigating other reasons for the itchies.

Exactly. Advantage and Advantix are exactly the same, except for the addition of Permethrin in Advantix for the ticks. There shouldn't be any reason why Advantage would work and Advantix doesn't.

I'd be actually looking to see whether the dog actually has fleas.

QUOTE (Georgie-boy @ 30th Nov 2009 - 01:07 PM) *

Advantage and Advantix both have the same active ingredient for fleas - Imidicloprid (or however you spell it) so both will work the same.

Exactly. Advantage and Advantix are exactly the same, except for the addition of Permethrin in Advantix for the ticks. There shouldn't be any reason why Advantage would work and Advantix doesn't.

Ah - this is good to know - I've never used Advantage so I didn't realise that essentially they have the same ingredient for fleas. :confused:

I'd be actually looking to see whether the dog actually has fleas.

I have to admit I haven't seen a flea on him in ages, but it only takes one to get him going.

I put the Advantage on, on Monday, and I feel we are seeing results. I am really scratching my head over this one (maybe the fleas have jumped across to me now, lol.)