Really Reliable Recall

corvus

I'm always banging on about Leslie Nelson's Really Reliable Recall, so I thought I'd just add another RRR related brag.

My mum told me this afternoon that she's been using the method to teach her extremely prey-driven and independent Vallhund to come when called. This is something he has been routinely ignoring for most of his life, and he's about 7. The other day he was in the yard with a frog in his mouth - a state that would normally involve running around trying to catch him because he won't come for anything when he has an animal. But for the first time in his life, upon hearing his recall he dropped the frog and recalled! This is the dog that busts out of the yard to take himself for kangaroo hunts, has a 7 year history of ignoring recalls when he doesn't feel like coming, and will stand in the hated rain for three days trying to catch a rat in the wood pile in the yard. I for one am impressed. I never thought I'd see the day when he would not only come when he was in hunting mode, but leave the prey behind. The first thing I said was "So what have you been doing with him? Or was it a fluke?" Such a skeptical daughter I am. :laugh:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not heard of this system before, and until a few days ago I have always been extremely confident in Bindi's recall.

Until...she was playing in the paddock with the neighbour's dog, I was right there to supervise. She is very clear on not crossing the boundary fence line and has never done so. They were running full pelt and she bolted straight into the neighbour's paddock and her horse started chasing Bindi. I had no recall at all :rofl: .

This really frightened me and I feel I need a much stronger and/or emergency recall.

Does anyone know if I can get this DVD in Australia or does it have to come from OS? What is the best place to buy it?

Levi, I bought it from Dogwise, which is a US based online store. It was pretty cheap. I'd offer to post you mine to borrow, but I needs it! *hugs the RRR* There is a booklet that is even cheaper, but I was told to get the dvd and I'm glad I did. It's very clear and instructional.

Is there anywhere in Australia you can locate the DVD or even the printed guide??

i couldnt find one and ended up biting the bullet and ordering from the us shop listed above - was actually quite cheap, approx $40, including postage. now just hanging out for it to arrive lol

I'm planning to convert the dvd using dvdshrink and some burning software so that i can then play in the loungeroom - although now that ps3 has been mentioned i will first be testing it through the 360 :D

RRR is great isn't it :nahnah: , I did the RRR & emergency recall through Scholars in Collars & can stop Pebbles chasing rabbits now. Guess your not a skeptic any more, seeings believing :o.

We are enrolled in this course Jan next year with Alexis, hope we have as much success as you :laugh:

RRR is great isn't it :rolleyes: , I did the RRR & emergency recall through Scholars in Collars & can stop Pebbles chasing rabbits now. Guess your not a skeptic any more, seeings believing :o.

We are enrolled in this course Jan next year with Alexis, hope we have as much success as you :rofl:

Do you know if this course is definitely based on the Leslie Nelson DVD?

If so, I want to enrol! :)

Any feedback on Scholars in Collars too? as I am moving up to the Hills early next year, and would like to get our pups' obedience skills back up to date :eek: you can pm me if you prefer

RRR is great isn't it :rolleyes: , I did the RRR & emergency recall through Scholars in Collars & can stop Pebbles chasing rabbits now. Guess your not a skeptic any more, seeings believing :o.

We are enrolled in this course Jan next year with Alexis, hope we have as much success as you :rofl:

Do you know if this course is definitely based on the Leslie Nelson DVD?

If so, I want to enrol! :)

Any feedback on Scholars in Collars too? as I am moving up to the Hills early next year, and would like to get our pups' obedience skills back up to date :eek: you can pm me if you prefer

Thanks ;)

I think Alexis is really good she's helped me a lot, also get a private lesson occasionally. NewAmstaffOwner are you doing the course in the hills or Murray Bridge, I'm taking Delta to the Basics & Beyond Basics courses & would love to do the CGC with Pebbles if Alexis does one next year :).

Don't think the course is based on the Leslie Nelson DVD, Alexis is a Delta Society accredited instructor, USA & Australia, but I've never seen Leslie's DVD so it might be similar, sorry I can't be more help there Sighthounder.

If you need to remove the thing that stops your DVD player from playing other regions just contact the store where you bought it or the maker. I had an US zone movie, I contacted Samsung and they gave me some numbers as follows:- (with no disk in the player), press subtitle, key in 768849 then press subtitle again, and bingo it would play any region.

Every brand has its own formula for lifting the restriction,

luvsablue,

Victoria

I can't recommend Alexis highly enough. We have thus far done the Basic Training Course and are currently doing the Calm, Controlled and Centred one (which we are seeing great improvements daily). Dova, We are doing it in the Hills, I am located in strath and the CCC course is located at Balhannah. We are far from ready to do the CGC, but goodluck if you do it. How are you finding the Beyond Basics? Sighthounder, I am unsure as to what the Reliable Recall is based on, but if you are looking for a great trainer up this way she is who I would definitely reccomend.

I can't recommend Alexis highly enough. We have thus far done the Basic Training Course and are currently doing the Calm, Controlled and Centred one (which we are seeing great improvements daily). Dova, We are doing it in the Hills, I am located in strath and the CCC course is located at Balhannah. We are far from ready to do the CGC, but goodluck if you do it. How are you finding the Beyond Basics? Sighthounder, I am unsure as to what the Reliable Recall is based on, but if you are looking for a great trainer up this way she is who I would definitely reccomend.

Thanks for the info NewAmstaffOwner :) I emailed Alexis, and it turns out the course is definitely based on the DVD by Leslie Nelson....so I am going to enrol for next year! :love:

See if I can whip the Saluki into shape for recall! :)