Any Alternatives To The Elizabethan Collar

Miz J

I don't know if this would work with a boxer, but my grey hated the collar, so I added a piece of plastic to the front of her plastic cat muzzle so she couldn't put her tongue forward thru the muzzle to lick her wound (she had a toe off). It only needed a small piece, cut out of the lid of an icecream container, then zip clipped onto the muzzle. The rest of it was very open so she could still drink. The plastic also has holes in it. It could have even been smaller b/c she never worked out how to lick around it!

It doesn't stop them using the muzzle to scratch tho. Bianca never tried that, so the muzzle was a success. Here's a pic of it.

antilickmuzzle001.jpg

I've had many dogs desexed over the years and not one has ever touched their stitches.

Miz J Bomber wasn't interested in his stithes either! We actually have a collar at home that we brought just incase which we never used. If you would like it please let me know. :laugh:

The primary alternative to the Elizabethan collar is constant supervision.

If you are there to prevent the dog from worrying the surgical wound (and many don't) then you don't need to fit one.

What's the issue with ECs? They certainly don't work well with a dog door. :laugh:

My pup recently got desexed and had the collar for 10 days. It was hard on the both of us. He figured to get it off a few times and tried to lick the stiches. But its up to the vet whether you need to collar or not.

My pup recently got desexed and had the collar for 10 days. It was hard on the both of us. He figured to get it off a few times and tried to lick the stiches. But its up to the vet whether you need to collar or not.

Actually, its up to you.

No I meant that in the vet when he is there for they will watch him and decided weather he may need it. If he is then in your care and does it she should then go get one.

I've had many dogs desexed over the years and not one has ever touched their stitches.

Miz J Bomber wasn't interested in his stithes either! We actually have a collar at home that we brought just incase which we never used. If you would like it please let me know. :eek:

Thanks for that and I may take you up on it, better to be prepared I think rather than more suturing. Murphys law

I am more worried about night when we cant see him. We have arranged his surgery where we will both have nearly a week off. I am hoping that he wont really care too much and hes easily distracted by toys so shouldnt be to difficult to redirect his attentio ( his very short attention span!!!!)

For what is it worth my RR. My RR was "under supervsion" and got them out, left him for 5 minutes. Collar stayed on once he was stichted up again. I went out, told OH not to take the collar off him but he felt sorry for him, stitches gone again. Very embarrassed at the Vets the second time. :eek:

Also even if they are not interested in them for the first couple of days the wound can get itchy after a while and it atracts their attention, it is extremly easy for them to get them out, believe me.

For what is it worth my RR. My RR was "under supervsion" and got them out, left him for 5 minutes. Collar stayed on once he was stichted up again. I went out, told OH not to take the collar off him but he felt sorry for him, stitches gone again. Very embarrassed at the Vets the second time. :eek:

Also even if they are not interested in them for the first couple of days the wound can get itchy after a while and it atracts their attention, it is extremly easy for them to get them out, believe me.

thanks for the heads up !! Henrys a little sod !!!

Miz J Bomber wasn't interested in his stithes either! We actually have a collar at home that we brought just incase which we never used. If you would like it please let me know. :eek:

Have sent an email to you, hoping it works !!!

It did and i sent one back. I hope that works! :eek:

Miz J Bomber wasn't interested in his stithes either! We actually have a collar at home that we brought just incase which we never used. If you would like it please let me know. :laugh:

Sorry Melbomb email not through, text me your info and will get in touch