Dilema

anniek

Kirislin had a similar dilema a little while ago - should she get new carpet or a new camera.

Now I have a similar one so thoughts and help needed please?

When my mum died several years ago, I packed up her stuff and some older bits from both of my grandmothers. Mum lived in the UK so it was all a bit of a rush. I had to take my watch in for a new battery last week, and thought I would also take in one of the old watches (grandmothers). None of my family had any money..lol I just liked a particular watch.

When I called into my jeweller (my little watch man) - he said "Oh wow this is nice - it's gold and it's a rotary". Mmm so I left it there for a service and clean to see if he could get it working. He just rang me said it is all fine and dandy. I asked him what it would be worth and he said about $2,000 and asked where i got it from. I explained and he has asked to bring in the "other stuff" so he can have a quick look.

I'm thinking 7D - NOW, but also feeling guilty.

dont know what to suggest, only that you should get several valuations on the watches and stuff. How often do you see on Antiques roadshow how jewellery is undervalued by so called experts. Even if you do decide to sell it dont just take this blokes word for it.

Oh, and I still haven't got a new camera and I still need new curtains, carpet, bathroom, kitchen, etc etc.

Edited by Kirislin

dont know what to suggest, only that you should get several valuations on the watches and stuff. How often do you see on Antiques roadshow how jewellery is undervalued by so called experts. Even if you do decide to sell it dont just take this blokes word for it.

Oh, and I still haven't got a new camera and I still need new curtains, carpet, bathroom, kitchen, etc etc.

+1 from me on this too.... take it to several valuation places first, would never trust the first person to look at it, and getting other people involved shouldn't hurt.

Then get the 7D :rofl:

defiantly get the watches and other pieces valued by someone else, it could be worth going going to an auction house and getting them to value/sell it. It is always good to remember that when businesses buy goods from customers they are not going to want to pay top dollar for it. I was raised surrounded by antique dealers and some of the stuff they got cheaply off people who didn't know the worth of the item and then sold for a much bigger profit was amazing.

My thoughts are... if it doesn't hold much sentimental value for you you might as well sell it, no point making yourself feel guilty if that's the way you feel.

I have inherited a few things from my grandfather and MIL this year. The things from my grandfather are just things...I don't feel any attachment to them and they don't particularly remind me of him nor would I feel bad to sell them. However the earrings I inherited from my MIL are really special to me and I woudln't want to part with them. There's not really any explanation for why I am attached to some things and not others, I loved them both very much, that's just the way it is. :rofl:

Bear in mind though that cameras are disposable items... 7D may be a good camera now but in a few years time you will want to upgrade... will it upset you to sell it or get rid of it when the time comes, knowing where the money came from? If not then don't worry about it.