Gameras Last Day With Me.

cannibalgoldfish

I have been fostering a turtle for the last couple of years. He was brought into Tas illegally (they are not native here) and was seized by quarentine and I have been looking after the garbage guts ever since. Sadly there have been new laws brought in and they are removing all turtles from Tas, even the ones on permits. Kirty from Dol was going to take him but there was so much mucking around and dealing with people who were no help at all and time ran out. A reptile association here is gathering them up and will be flying them free of charge to Vic where they will be placed with other herpers. So yesterday I dropped Gamera off at the house of the guy who is organising the flight. Here are a couple of photos of my little guy.

022-6.jpg

He has his name written on him in the hope they can keep track of him for me so I can find out how he is doing.

026-5.jpg

018-5.jpg

Little dude was a bit shy upon meeting his fellow detainees. Thats his butt sticking out of the rocks :(

028-3.jpg

029-4.jpg

Other detainees

033-5.jpg

I am very privileged to have been looking after him for the last few years. I hope things work out for him in his new life :( I will miss my little man.

persephone, There are none native here and over the years people have smuggled them in. Sadly, over time some have escaped and have recently been found to be breeding. They are carnivores and can carry disease, so to protect the native fish and invertebrates they are getting them all out and will try to cull any found wild as well. As much as I loved having him as a pet it is the right thing to do.

So many people dont realise that and bring them in in ignorance. One of the things that has annoyed me about the whole thing has been the lack of publicity over the new laws (or even the old ones) and people will still be un aware that they cant bring them into Tas. Since now if you do its instant euth for the turtle and big fines I do feel a bit sorry for those moving here and taking their pet with them. Which is how a few get here. No sympathy for those who know its illegal and try their luck anyway. Thats just not fair on the animals if they are caught :rainbowbridge: