I Think I Found A Tick

beenie

Hi,

just giving Willow a thorough brushing and felt a little lump - investigated and pulled off what I think is a tick. It wasn't embedded, just crawling on her back. It is about 3mm long, brownish red, shaped like a fat sesame seed with very fine legs. I think it's a brown dog tick, and from what I could see it hadn't 'eaten' anything....

Do I need to do anything? Obviously I've checked for more, but haven't found any. Do I need to treat her with anything? She's on Advocate monthly, but nothing else for ticks. We live in Melbourne if that's relevant.

Help!!! ;)

You can buy a flea rinse (I use Fido's Free-itch Rinse in the hydrobath but there is a herbal version suitable for use with monthly treatments) and give her a bath (no need to rinse off) or maybe spray with a flea spray ... maybe check with vet if something like Frontline spray is suitable with Advocate.

I hate ticks. I use Permoxin ($60 per litre) on my boys and they are drenched in the stuff every week.

Edited by Tilly

Thanks for the advice.

I've given her two more thorough check overs since finding the tick, and no more evidence of any. I'll keep checking her regularly and will talk to my vet about preventative measures once we're home from our holiday. Looking at the pics, I'm sure it was NOT a paralysis tick, but better to be safe than sorry!!

Does anyone know if there is something I can do to get rid of ticks in the backyard? Or at least discourage them? I'm thinking a pyrethrim spray on the bushy parts for a start!

Beenie