My Chihuahua Has A Big Firm Lump On It's Neck!

Jacinta

My pure bred chihuahua puppy was adopted 4 weeks ago for christmas for me, we had it taken to the vet for it's second injection last Friday. She was in alot of pain for days, they said it would wear off, but it didn't. It continued for a few more days and then we realized that a big, firm lump had developed. :laugh: it's about the size of a five cent coin in circumference. that is alot on a tiny chihuahua puppy. :o it has been a week now so do you think it could still be swelling that develpoed later on? I am very worried for my little baby because I heard that the injections could cause cancer. Is this true? :rofl: Please explain what it may be before I take her to the vet this week, as I dont know when I will be able to book an appointment. They are taking a break off for christmas. Thankyou.

No idea what it is but please - can you find another vet before your regular one comes back? An emergency vet or something? Maybe really needs to get looked at asap? Maybe your breeder knows of one you could go to?

I could be over- reacting of course, i really have no experiance other than my own puppy!!

Best wishes for your pup.......

Edited by jacquilee81

No idea what it is but please - can you find another vet before your regular one comes back? An emergency vet or something? Maybe really needs to get looked at asap? Maybe your breeder knows of one you could go to?

I could be over- reacting of course, i really have no experiance other than my own puppy!!

Best wishes for your pup.......

I agree, I'd be taking her to another vet. Is it hot to the touch? There is a story about a cat that was vaccinated in the back of the neck as is usual, & developed a bad reaction to one of the components to the vaccine which caused a cancer like lump. The cat died & the owners wrote the story to make other cat owners aware of the risk of vaccinating on the neck. It should be done on the thigh. I can't remember if this is only to do with one of the cat only vacs. But from my experience some vets won't change.

I can remember with my 1st border collie many years ago, that she had a small lump develop over the vaccination site, the 1st one she'd had at the breeder's vet. My vet said it was because it was life vaccine. It was only very small.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2143&aid=961

Sounds like a sterile abscess to me - they can occur with any injection not just vaccinations. My Millie usually develops one after any injection. They can take up to a week to come up and go away but will usually resolve on their own.

If you are concerned then please see a vet.

I would get it checked by a vet, but just as an FYI, we had a 70kg German shepherd cross and he developed a lump half the size of a tennis ball after a vaccination and it was there for two weeks. It happened every year after his vaccs.

Best wishes for you puppy.

Edited by benny123

HI my puppy at 16 weeks, went for her final injection and was microchipped at the same time. She had a lump the size of 20cents coin, which the vet said was reaction to the vacc. The lump went away after a week.

Feel the lump everyday, feel for changes in size. I panicked at first but after a few days I felt the lump subsiding, and finally disappeared altogether.

It's probably just an injection site lump, but if you are worried I would say go see the vet just for piece of mind.

With regards to the cancer (vaccine/injection site sarcoma), this is something that's only seen in cats, so not something you have to worry about.

With regards to the cancer (vaccine/injection site sarcoma), this is something that's only seen in cats, so not something you have to worry about.

In fact, I believe it has been occasionally seen in dogs, but is not as frequently reported..

I wonder if the OP has also had a 12 month heartworm injection at the same time? I've seen quite large lumps from that and discontinued it in my own dogs..

Edited by lils mum