Performance Food Without Chicken,

SilverHaze

Does anybody know of any dry foods that make a performance level food without chicken. I've got a dog who i'm currently working through a process of elimination to determine what may not be agreeing with him. I "think"it may be chicken - which is an issue as the two performance foods i have at the moment are eagle pack power and artemis osopure power, and they both have chicken as their first ingredient.

So now i'm just trying to work out if there any good dry foods at the higher performance level that don't have chicken in them - so far i'm not having much luck.

If it does turn out that chicken is the problem, then i may have to use a dry food with lower protein/fat levels and supplement to get the results i need. But i thought i'd ask if anyone else knew of something available in australia that would be suitable.

The Eagle Pack Anchovy is the only dry food I know of that doesn't have chicken in it. Could you feed this and add a fattier red meat? Tucker Time have a poultry free roll too which you could use with the Eagle Pack?

My dog is allergic to chicken and fish and I've searched far and wide for a dry that contains neither, with no luck.

Yup, I'm leaning towards the eagle pack fishy dry, with lots of extras added to get the fat and protein levels up. Why can't makers of dry food understand that just because you can't tolerate chicken doesn't mean you don't need higher fat and protein levels!!!

This is going to be an interesting journey - time to pick the brains of the sledding people O/S for ideas methinks!

Edited by SilverHaze

This food is not far away. Only fish as an animal protein. There is a full range, including a new grain free product.

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/oc...usion/index.php

Sags

Love the sound of the "Primitive Natural" variety. I was after a "performance" food with no corn. Perfect! :laugh:

When/where will it be available, Sags?

Yep sounds good to me too

Yep, I know, Silverhaze - but no lower (from memory) than EP and being of a different formula will have different benefits.

The new Earthborn Holistic range is either on the docks or in the warehouse now. It is imported by Premium Pets who formerly were Aquatopia. They also have Pro Pac so it should be fairly readily available over the coming weeks.

Sags

Yup - no lower than the eagle pack fish one.

I've gotten some samples of the eagle pack natural formula to try - while it does contain some chicken, it's not one of the main ingredients, so it could be alright. At least this will tell me if i have to avoid all chicken, or just high levels of it.

I've had someone recommend evo, which does do a non chicken with high fat/protein, but i'm not sure about protein levels that high. Plus having to buy it from pets paradise at such an exorbitant price doesn't get me excited either.

Pro Plan Sensitive .. contains only salmon

Perhaps. But for some dogs, it might pay to factor in what one of their representative's told me:

Quote... The Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach is coated in a beef tallow. unquote

Not an issue if chicken is the problem - and maybe the formula has changed again, that was about 2 years ago.

Sags

No - the beef tallow is one of a number of things some companies spray onto the kibble to enhance the flavour. Animal digest is another common one. On its own beef tallow is not an issue - unless you have a dog with beef allergies and the inclusion isn't listed.

Sags