Brush For Papillon

I've always used a slicker brush on my Paps but read on a website the other day that they ruin their fur and you should use a pin and bristle brush instead.

Does anyone else have a Papillon or breed with similar coat type, and what do you use?

I find the pin brush catches a lot of knots but isn't as effective as the slicker brush at removing them.

Is the bristle supposed to make their fur glossy or something? I always thought of it as something you just used on short coated breeds, or when teaching children how to brush their pet (we used to brush our rabbits and cats with bristle brushes when we were younger). Does it actually do any good on a long coat?

Not sure about a Pap coat but I have always used a Mason Person bristle and nylon on my Border Collies. Each tuft of bristle has one nylon pin in it to penetrate the coat. The bristles then polish the hair and reduce any static. Oh, and the dogs looooove being brushed with it. I still use the original brush I bought in 1984 so while they are expensive you really get your money's worth out of them.

Mason Pearsons are VERY expensive!!!!!! Don't get a shock when you find out Jeanne! :( Some alternatives are Plush Puppy Porcupine brush, Metro Anti-Static brush or a discovery I made last year, a Lady Jayne nylon and bristle brush (very similar to the Mason Pearson) from the supermarket. About $70 less on the pricetag too! :hug:

A very soft slicker (Doggyman for example) would be quite ok for a Papillon but only if used carefully. I use these on the American Cockers.

I can highly recommend Plush Puppy Pin Brushes for a budget-friendly, excellent quality pin brush. You can get them in short or long pins. I like these so much I ended up purchasing some for my own hair.

many coated breeds use a slicker brush the main difference is the one you buy.As Ellz said Doggyman is a good one.

personally i have never really found the mason/pearson to really do anything different for the price tag & yes they make them pap size.

There are plenty of options around & a good combo comb will be the firt on the list .

Quality of brushes can make adifference but they way there used is the biggest factor

I've always used a slicker brush on my Paps but read on a website the other day that they ruin their fur and you should use a pin and bristle brush instead.

Does anyone else have a Papillon or breed with similar coat type, and what do you use?

I find the pin brush catches a lot of knots but isn't as effective as the slicker brush at removing them.

Is the bristle supposed to make their fur glossy or something? I always thought of it as something you just used on short coated breeds, or when teaching children how to brush their pet (we used to brush our rabbits and cats with bristle brushes when we were younger). Does it actually do any good on a long coat?

Hi Jeanne

I only ever would use a slicker (a very small one) to get out a mat and then very gently. I would suggest a bristle brush it best for the fine silk coat, Maison & Pearson are great but any bristle is sufficient, it is much more gentle than a slicker. I would use a slicker on a double coated breed not a silk coated breed, you will pull out a lot of coat and it would not very comfortable for the dog either. If you are getting a lot of tangles it could be because the slicker is breaking the hair off and it is knotting.

Hope this helps.

Carabelle

Hi Jeanne,

I use a fine tooth comb for tangles, always starting at the ends and gently working up towards the skin. I have a Mason Pearson (20 yrs old) Natural Bristle for general brushing and their enjoyment! It is much cheaper to get the human-type natural bristle brush. I use a slicker only if they have got full of "farmer's friends" sticky burrs - only the slicker works in that situation.

Thanks for all of the tips, so much to try to remember!! The one I have is a "PetLife" one that I picked up from Big W, I think it was the most expensive there, pin on one side, bristle on the other. Would this kind of bristle be sufficient? My biggest problem is that the bristles only run across the top of the fur, they don't actually get right into the fur and brush it properly... Though I guess that is what the pin side is for?

It seems to do the job fine, maybe one of those expensive ones would make a good chrissy present for them :)

Thanks for all of the tips, so much to try to remember!! The one I have is a "PetLife" one that I picked up from Big W, I think it was the most expensive there, pin on one side, bristle on the other. Would this kind of bristle be sufficient? My biggest problem is that the bristles only run across the top of the fur, they don't actually get right into the fur and brush it properly... Though I guess that is what the pin side is for?

It seems to do the job fine, maybe one of those expensive ones would make a good chrissy present for them :)

Pet Life by name, pet life by nature. I'm not a big believer in those types of brush. They aren't ergonomically sound for the groomer for a start.

You'd be far better off with either the anti-static or porcupine brushes from Plush Puppy IMO if you MUST use a brush with bristles. I personally find that my basic American Cocker grooming kit largely consists of a good quality whippet comb, a pin brush and a Doggyman slicker. This is what I recommend to all of my puppy people as the basis for their kit, and you can then add and subract tools as you require them or decide you don't need them.

The bristles are far too dense on that type of brush, that's why it is only skimming across the top of the coat. The type of brush I use looks more like a pin brush but with 6, or so, bristles in place of each pin. They are gentler on the finer skin of the Papillon than the pin brush, but work the same way.

Cool cool, I had my doubts when I bought it but I'd already been to the only pet shop in town and they had nothing remotely suitable there... I should have shopped online! Oh well I guess as with everything in life you waste a lot of money before you find what you're actually looking for!

Cool cool, I had my doubts when I bought it but I'd already been to the only pet shop in town and they had nothing remotely suitable there... I should have shopped online! Oh well I guess as with everything in life you waste a lot of money before you find what you're actually looking for!

The brushes from the average pet shop or chain store are pretty useless. Plush puppy make some nice brushes at a reasonable price but no matter what brand you get it is the type of brush that is important. This link is to the Mason Person site and shows the range with the sizes at the bottom of the page.

http://www.masonpearson.com/range.html

These are the type of brush you need, with individual tufts of bristles, with or without the nylon pin in the centre.

Personally I have found that the Mason Person's are worth the extra money because they feel better and last forever. Peter's of Kensington usually has the best price on them and currently have the pocket size bristle and nylon for $69.00. You would need a pocket ot handy size for a Pap.

Do you also spray mist the coat before brushing? This helps stop static and also the hair from breaking. With the shelties, I mist the coat before brushing and then the coat is brushed linebrushed "backwards" ie against the way it grows. This makes sure that you get down to the skin to remove dead hair. Knots that form behind ears are gently combed out.