Camera Experts

Law

Just wondering what people think of this for someone starting out

http://www.cameracentral.com.au/shop/produ...71420d08566ec77

I am not looking at making a career or anything just want to be able to take some nice pics and get into photography a bit more if I feel like it.

Do you think this would be a good camera for a beginner?

Looks good Law.

Canon have similar offering on that site.

Try both in your hands :champagne:

But really - with current Nikon or Canon dSLRs, you can't really go wrong.

+1, Canon & Nikon have very good options. Choose the one that suits your budget and feels the best to you. Both have a wide range of lenses and lots of users out there who are more than happy to offer support!

Have fun!!

Yay! Thanks guys :cheers: will have to save up first :champagne: but I really want to get back into it, although its been ages and I used to use an old Nikon and develop my photos myself at school :birthday:

When you are budgeting don't forget:

- extra memory cards

- extra battery

- card reader

- software

- bag

- second lens (you'll want one within six months no doubt)

- external flash (again, I give it six months...)

There are free options for software (picasa, gimp) but "standard" editing software is Adobe Lightroom and/or Adobe Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. You can download 30 day free trials of Lightroom and Photoshop at www.adobe.com

Actually, Lightroom 3 is available for a free download and is valid until the end of April, I think.

have fun shopping!

IMHO you might be better off saving up for the D90 over the D5000....

Lack of Focus Motor, Not as well built and a few other small annoyances would be worth the extra $ for a better body :laugh:

As to what others are saying, try them in your hands first, then shop around for the best price :cry:

Nikons are great. I went camera shopping intending to get myself a Nikon but when I went to the shop and held the cameras and played with the menus I walked out with a Canon, but reviews see to be a bit better for the Nikons - here is a good site that reviews cameras for you to look at http://www.dpreview.com

Olympus models are usually cheaper too.

There's a reason for this, several, in fact :laugh:

Olympus do make some very nice cameras and the cameras do work.

I personally think that for about the same entry amount of cash, right now, Canon and Nikon have a few advantages that would tip the scales in their favor. Even a few dollars more for the extra bang would be worth it to me.

If you do decide to head to Sony or Olympus (or even Fuji), it's not like the camera won't be good - it will be and you'll have oodles of fun (same as if you end up with Canon or Nikon!)

I have an Olympus e-420 (several models old) and I LOVE it. The body is very small and light and if I could afford the pancake lens it would be a handbag sized camera.Olympus models are usually cheaper too.

I completely agree. I have the E-420 & E-30 & I recommend both :)

The E-420, as you say, is just so light & easy to use. Great for travelling, whilst still taking SLR quality shots. In fact I've found the E-420 to be extremely easy to use in the pound environment, where I take most of my photos, although I have found that the "professional" E-30 takes better shots, as it is their high end model afterall, yet it is rather heavy to deal with when conditions aren't ideal (ie the pound). Having said that the E-30 is just as easy to use (programming wise) as its level entry sibling.

And both models are much cheaper than the Canon or Nikon equivalent, yet fundamentally the quality of the photos are pretty much the same for the "average" (or even better) photograph IMHO.

Having said all that about Olympus - Law - go with whatever you feel the most comfortable with. That's important when it comes to SLR. If you're not confident & comfortable with the camera, you'll take crappy photos :confused:

Edited by DMA