Training An Adopted Adult Dog - Advice?

Hi everyone,

A great friend recommended this forum, so here I am. My husband and I recently adopted a wonderful dog, he's a 2-year-old cocker spaniel, absolutely sweet and adorable. We named him Charlie.

However, my impression is that aside from "sit" for treats, his previous owners, whoever they were, did not teach him anything. He will sit for treats only, and 9/10 of the time ignores the command otherwise. (nevermind "come" or anything else.) He constantly pulls on the leash and gets over-excited when walking outside, though he is making progress with the command "heel" at home in the yard. He also doesn't know the "fetch" game, poor pup! I don't know who his owners were but he doesn't really know any dog games at all. Perhaps he was just stuck out in someone's yard all day and no one played with him??

Anyhow, we're determined to teach this sweet dog how to be a good canine citizen - we will organise official obedience classes for him very soon, however, we've been trying to start training him here in our backyard, as all good training starts at home!

I know it all takes a lot of patience and time, of course. I am just wondering if anyone has any advice to offer on his particular behaviours.

Walking on leash:

His idea is "get excited, wag tail, pull pull pull!" He has been learning in the yard, he's been making good progress walking on loose leash, but it's his familiar territory now, and as soon as we get toward the front gate, the pulling and excitedness begins. We have been trying the "stop and be a tree" method, to show him that he will not get anywhere interesting until he stops pulling and walks at our pace. It's been a slow process, though, and because this dog doesn't know any doggie games at all, we haven't had much luck exercising him in the yard, so most of the time we eventually give up and go for a run around the block, because otherwise we're going to have a very excited dog with no energy outlet! Of course, he takes US for a run, not the other way around... I feel like it's not teaching him any lessons because EVENTUALLY he gets to go for his run whether he pulls or not, just so that we have a calm dog in the evenings. But he's got to get SOME exercise! What do we do? Keep "being a tree"? He just stands at the end of the leash and keeps tension.

How do we teach him to play dog games? He doesn't know "fetch", shows no interest in thrown objects unless they have treats inside, and then of course, if there's a treat inside, there's no way he's giving it back to the human. Dog logic :laugh:

He doesn't really play chasing games, half-heartedly runs after me for a couple of laps up and down the yard, and then runs up to the verandah and I'm left running around like a silly person with a dog looking at me.

Barking - he tries to play "guard dog" as much as a spaniel possibly can (lol), barking at passers-by, and the only way we can get him to stop has been to bring him to the verandah with us and temporarily put him on a leash until he calms down. Of course he is a dog, some barking is to be expected - but I would like to find a way to recall him when he barks. Obviously my calls for him to come back fall on deaf ears when all his attention is on all the interesting people/bicyclists/dogs outside the fence. How do I get his attention? I can give him a treat when he comes back to me, but I don't want him to mistake that I am rewarding him for barking, I want to reward him for stopping and coming to me. How do I make that distinction clear to him?

If anyone has any advice, the dog and I would appreciate it very much. :hug:

Edited by alexandrite

Hi :laugh: Looking forward to seeing photos of your boy :hug:

you might want to start by reading/trying some of the stuff on DOL - and elsewhere :hug:

like...

LINK

and

Link

THIS may be helpful!

and,later on.... LINK

Playing chasey games is not necessary- why do you want the dog to chase you? If you want him to run.. then run him onlead, or later on, in a safe enclosed area , perhaps...

Playing fetch- start off with baby steps.. offer him a toy- (have him on a short lead)..then tell hime 'give' and gently but deteminedly take it from him--IIMMEDIATELY replacing it with a treat and praise...

work on this until he will give you things- then start the throwing bit.

None of my dogs play fetch..or chasey... they will take things and give to other people- or pick up things/toys and bring to me when asked - but I can't be bothered throwing balls & such ..and I don't think they are missing out on much :hug:

I've never had a dog who played fetch either. Not a priority and besides most of my dogs have been dalmatians who just seem to think the whole idea of racing after something you threw just to bring it back to you so you can throw it again is a complete waste of their time. :laugh:

I have a similar situation to yours alexandrite. But I taught the new boy to "come" while walking him on lead by carrying treats in a top pocket, letting him get to the end of the lead and then calling his name and "come" - with the treat in my hand! WHen he comes to me I say "sit", he does, and then I give him the treat. I did this several times randomly during the walk. Once or twice I didn't have a treat in my hand and called "come" and gave him a pat instead.

THis is only a start tho and when he was off-lead in a fenced area and I called "come" he completely ignored me LOL IT will take time.

spotty chick aint that the truth re dallys and fetching. :):confused:

leo did not know anything either. he now plays with us chasey. will fetch a little but will let every other one of our dogs fetch the item.

he's doing tricks too, but the consitancy is not there yet. time and practice.

i will often do a 5min session 3 times a day. less is more. now days when i come home he runs threw all his trick to see what grab my attention, far better than leaping on me.

Thank you persephone I will check those links :confused:

At the moment I am asking about games to play with the dog basically to release his energy a bit. He is a young dog, so he's very excitable, and I want to be able to play something with him to tire him out a bit before we try to take him out for a walk. If he's got all this pent-up energy, he's going to use it to pull on the leash when walking and just overall not pay attention. We got him a Kong toy, which he only pays attention to when there's a treat inside, but at least that's something! He will also play "musical chairs" with us (set 3 plastic lawn chairs facing each other, pat the chair to invite the dog on, then move around and pat the chair we want him on.) But none of that really involves much spending of energy, does it. :/ He does have a large yard to play in, but I know how important walks/running is to dogs.

Are hubby and I being bad "pack leaders" if, when he pulls on the leash when we're trying to walk him, after we get sick of "being trees" not working and just to give him some exercise, we run him around the block? I feel terrible if he doesn't get at least a run daily.

He gets "heel" practice in the yard, and most of the time he makes progress and seems to listen, it just doesn't translate to outside. As soon as he sees the leash go on, he tries to go for the front gate - as soon as he gets close to the gate he starts pulling on the leash.

Should we give him that run around the block first to tire him out, and then try walking/heeling? Or is it too late after a run, the pulling dog got what he wanted, and then wouldn't listen?

What is the proper way of getting him to walk with us :)

Edited by alexandrite

You want to tire him out?

IMO playing is not the way to go.

I suggest that he needs schooling- make him work,and concentrate,and walk, and sit... and no letup..for 10-15 minutes.

If he is excitable- praise him QUIETLY, train him QUIETLY.. use a soft voice, so he has to LISTEN.Move slowly..and get him to do so as well.

:)

The more you run around, and excite him- the more hyped up he may become- it's a vicious circle......

How long have you had him?

Hi,

Have you tried throwing his kibble over the lawn instead of feeding in a bowl? My GSP finds this a very exciting way to be fed, and spends up to half an hour searching for every piece of kibble, rather than eating her meal in 30 seconds. During the searching she is using her brain and nose, and afterwards settles down for a nap. You could also try searching games with your dog; start off by one person holding the dog while the other walks around the garden and drops things to be found -- toys if you had a dog interested in them, but as you dont, try biscuits or small treats. At the beginning the dog can watch while this happens; as he learns "find" or "seek" command you can do it out of his sight to make it more of a challenge and exciting. As you play these games with your dog he will realise that you are a great source of fun, and perhaps become more interested in retrieving type games which can use up a lot of energy.

Hi,

Have you tried throwing his kibble over the lawn instead of feeding in a bowl? My GSP finds this a very exciting way to be fed, and spends up to half an hour searching for every piece of kibble, rather than eating her meal in 30 seconds. During the searching she is using her brain and nose, and afterwards settles down for a nap. You could also try searching games with your dog; start off by one person holding the dog while the other walks around the garden and drops things to be found -- toys if you had a dog interested in them, but as you dont, try biscuits or small treats. At the beginning the dog can watch while this happens; as he learns "find" or "seek" command you can do it out of his sight to make it more of a challenge and exciting. As you play these games with your dog he will realise that you are a great source of fun, and perhaps become more interested in retrieving type games which can use up a lot of energy.

He did like the idea of me throwing treats or hiding them for him to find. I'll try that idea, thanks!

(Although when I throw treats for him to find, he keeps turning back to me like "why am I looking for this one little treat when I KNOW you have 5 of them in your pocket?" Smart dog! :laugh: )

Just wanted to also say, he's been making progress with the walking on leash! It's like a lightbulb finally went on a few days ago - he's realised that if he stops jumping around and spinning like a drunk kangaroo, he'll actually get somewhere fun. We've been taking the newly improved Charlie for longer walks and to the dog park a lot more often, now that he is behaving better. :laugh: He still isn't heeling all that much (unless he's gone for a run and is tired), and walks ahead of hubby and me, but no longer pulls to the point of choking himself. He also is learning to stop when we have to cross the street. So proud of him! I think we'll be able to progress to proper heeling next. Yay!

Edited by alexandrite

Just wanted to also say, he's been making progress with the walking on leash! It's like a lightbulb finally went on a few days ago - he's realised that if he stops jumping around and spinning like a drunk kangaroo, he'll actually get somewhere fun. We've been taking the newly improved Charlie for longer walks and to the dog park a lot more often, now that he is behaving better. :rofl: He still isn't heeling all that much (unless he's gone for a run and is tired), and walks ahead of hubby and me, but no longer pulls to the point of choking himself. He also is learning to stop when we have to cross the street. So proud of him! I think we'll be able to progress to proper heeling next. Yay!

"a drunk kangaroo" :laugh:

Glad to hear you're getting somewhere with your lovely little guy. Have you got some pics???? :laugh:

I've got the same issues with my new 8 yr old - I've been trialling the TOT program and also taking treats when we walk to give him when he walks to heel. That seems to be having some effect but if I don't take the treats with me it's all back to straining on the lead. It's okay, this is going to take a while - I have years of non-training to overcome :rofl:

I'll check out those links too!!