Allergies And Prednisolone

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone used the Convenia long acting AB injection? Porp had a really bad week last week, needing daily pred which still barely touched the sides. Naturally he ended up with pustules all down his thighs, flanks and under arms. We had a spare 5ml (just what he needed!!) of the Convenia and thought what the hell, lets do it. I'm not usually a fan of any type of slow release injections, but I'd just had enough so thought bugger it. Pleased to say his skin skin/coat is looking better than ever - more so than what the oral AB's generally do!! YAY!!

I have used it a bit with good results. Mostly I end up using it on patients that are too difficult to medicate (cats that are devil spawn, and dogs that are like rabid land sharks) but the results have been quite good. I have mixed feeling about slow release injections too, but I'm also well aware of how poor compliance at giving twice daily meds can be.

Does his skin start with true urticaria, the soft slightly inflamed welty lumps and then progress to staph, or are you just starting with folliculitis that gets worse? (I've seen both, so it's just a general question). Do you usually cephalexin or amoxyclav for skin? Using the high doses?

Has anyone used the Convenia long acting AB injection? Porp had a really bad week last week, needing daily pred which still barely touched the sides. Naturally he ended up with pustules all down his thighs, flanks and under arms. We had a spare 5ml (just what he needed!!) of the Convenia and thought what the hell, lets do it. I'm not usually a fan of any type of slow release injections, but I'd just had enough so thought bugger it. Pleased to say his skin skin/coat is looking better than ever - more so than what the oral AB's generally do!! YAY!!

I have used it a bit with good results. Mostly I end up using it on patients that are too difficult to medicate (cats that are devil spawn, and dogs that are like rabid land sharks) but the results have been quite good. I have mixed feeling about slow release injections too, but I'm also well aware of how poor compliance at giving twice daily meds can be.

Does his skin start with true urticaria, the soft slightly inflamed welty lumps and then progress to staph, or are you just starting with folliculitis that gets worse? (I've seen both, so it's just a general question). Do you usually cephalexin or amoxyclav for skin? Using the high doses?

We get both, Rappie. Occasionally he gets bad bouts of urticaria but thankfully I haven't dealt with a bad bout of that for a while. He got it bad when he was on a fish diet and had his worst when he hit the 1ml stage of his desensitising injections. Mostly though, it is folliculitis which if I don't get under control, degenerates.

We use cephalexin, mostly at the 30mg/kg rate.

This pic is from the 1ml desens. inj. Not the best pic, but you get the idea. He was like this all down his back.

post-16998-1265436967_thumb.jpg

This pic is from the 1ml desens. inj. Not the best pic, but you get the idea. He was like this all down his back.

How long does it take for the hives to recede (with the use of drugs and without the use of drugs, if you happen to know)?

How long does it take for the hives to recede (with the use of drugs and without the use of drugs, if you happen to know)?

In our case we give antihistamines to ease the itching and have to wait them out. Steriods don't help Zayda's hives. As to how long they last it depends on how bad they are and what's causing them (like is it a bad atopy week - then you might have them all week cos the allergen is there). The huge bouts we've had normally settle after a couple of hours into littler lumps which may take a few days to clear.

Orbit's hives from the fish took a week or two to clear after ceasing the diet. I'm pretty sure the hives following the injection were gone after a few days. He's been on constant cortisone throughout these though, so I'm not sure whether they would have stuck around longer without it.

I recently discovered that pred makes humans go a bit loopy, as in really happy good mood.

We asked a vet does it have the same effect on dogs and he said yeh but like humans, some dogs will feel it others will have no symptoms...

Was wondering any of you guys with dogs on pred notice that they are super happy and chilled out all the time lol - of course if your dog is on it sice it was a pup or young you wont notice but for those have a dose for other reasons.

CHeers

Kirsten

Nope, I don't see that either. I think the most common side effect in terms of behaviour, is more of being agitated and restless rather than being happy and chilled out. Orbit pants a bit more on pred days and tends to have more ants in his pants. I wouldn't say he's 'happy'

I would say that Jedi is happier on pred but that's because he's not itching 99% of his awake time!! :rasberry:

He is much more active and playful, but again I think that's due to not being itchy than the medication itself. Aside from drooling and an increased appetite (though he actually lost weight on it - we had to double his food intake to stabilise his weight!) he has no other side effects from prednisolone. We've been really lucky.

Mandela's update : Hives all but gone. Weight/appetite improved, but not stable at the moment. Stools nice and firm (:rasberry: .... it's such a joy to not have to scrape them out of the grass). Coat improving (in terms of hair re-growth and shine). Naturopath saw him today and was really happy (surprised?) with how much he has improved.

Using natural/homeopathic treatments (via Jacqueline/Naturopath and Barry/Hair Analysis guy) we are targetting :

Liver function

Detoxification

Sore/irritated stomach

Adrenal support

Digestion

Edited by Erny

Mandela's update : Hives all but gone. Weight/appetite improved, but not stable at the moment. Stools nice and firm ( :) .... it's such a joy to not have to scrape them out of the grass). Coat improving (in terms of hair re-growth and shine). Naturopath saw him today and was really happy (surprised?) with how much he has improved.

Using natural/homeopathic treatments (via Jacqueline/Naturopath and Barry/Hair Analysis guy) we are targetting :

Liver function

Detoxification

Sore/irritated stomach

Adrenal support

Digestion

Awesome, I'm truely overjoyed that you are having some success!

How early have people seen a difference on an immunotherapy program? The vet said it could take up to 2 months, but I wonder how early it can start taking effect. Jedi is day 19 and his itchiness scores seem to be dropping?

Edited by TerraNik

How early have people seen a difference on an immunotherapy program? The vet said it could take up to 2 months, but I wonder how early it can start taking effect. Jedi is day 19 and his itchiness scores seem to be dropping?

My Vet said usually it takes about 6 months.

We did it for over a year, unfortunately didnt work for us but I don't think 2 months is long enough to tell.