Great Dane

Guest Kate_Summer

Guest Kate_Summer

I would like to know how much exercises they require(I'm assuming not a lot, due to being a large giant breed). Are they hard to train? I'm not wanting 1 yet, but maybe in 10 years time(I know its probably silly but I would like to know as much as possible about this beautiful breed).

Cheers :confused:

Edited by Kate_Summer

Exercise....??? What is exercise...??? Is this a trick question....???

ps....pop into the Dane thread....... My Dane x believes that sleep 23 hours a day is essential and that walking to her bowl of food is her daily exercise...

Danes can be quite active - mainly in short bursts called zoomies!

For the first 18 months you need to be careful about the amount of exercise due to the dane still going through critical growth. In this time, it should be free/ unforced exercise such as running around the park and not forced exercise like long walks on pavement/ road and certainly no jogging/ running with them.

I don't walk my dane every day and he is not concerned by it. A good hour of play in the park or at the beach with a playmate does him for a couple of days.

It is more critical that you have a nice comfy bed or couch for them!

The dane thread in the Breed Subforums is great for information and there is also a dane thread in Breeds 101 which most of us contributed to. Have a read of the first post in the dane thread as there is really good information there.

Guest Kate_Summer

Thanks Danois, very helpful information there is to read :confused:

Just a question on the side being a gentle yet a giant, would the breed be recommended in a household where there are 10 y-o kids or is it better till they are tiny bit older?

Hi Kate!

Re the children thing, personally, I think that so long as the dog is taught respect for the children (and vice versa), they are generally fine, but due to their size and being so uncoordinated, there will always be the possibility of a little one accidently being pushed over or maybe trodden on. My 2 1/2 year old comes to work with me everywhere and my bosses 4yo is a real natural with animals (a vet in the making :rofl: ) and is constantly taking him for walks around the yard by his collar, or making him sit etc. He thinks its great and has the same respect for her that he does for us!

I can't comment a lot re kids as I don't have any but with my last dane, despite not being around kids much, when he was approached by them he was so gentle and careful.

With Boo - I had my 6 year old niece and 8 year old nephew here for a few days recently. He was really good with them - a couple of times he bumped into them but that was usually because they had got into the space he was needing (them not used to being around dogs). My niece bonded with him especially.

EnyBoo2-1.jpg

Hi there,

my kids were 6 & 7 when we got our Dane pup and my seven year old has a disability.

It took a couple of months to really establish the rules regarding the kids with him. Aftrer that he was perfect with them.

Miss six could take him through his paces (sit, drop, stay, give, stand, twist/turn, shake, high five, wave, find etc.) without a problem. And with master seven Mr Darcy just seemed to insinctively know always what to do and what was needed. He developed a very different relationship with both of them. In fact Mr Darcy improved the quality of life for my child with the disability, immeasurably. Mr Darcy kept him calm, and if he did melt down, Mr Darcy fixed that with face licks - the only time he ever licked faces :)

In fact he always new what to do to make both of them feel loved. With miss 6 it was all about playing and cuddling on the bed and being happy to be dressed up and have his nails painted. With master seven it was more about being close, touching noses and 'tickling' by nudging his sides with his muzzle.

He also played an excellent game of hide and seek with both kids :rofl: And would wake them up in the morning for school (then go back to bed himself ;) ) before seeing them on to the bus.

There were times when he accidentally knocked one of them over, or hit them with a wagging tail, or trod on their feet. But they really paled into insignificance compared to everything else.

and so, in conclusion: I think 10 year old kids would be fine :) As always you need to teach respect from both the dog and the kids and establish rules for both :rofl: