Gastro? Recovery

Nichole

Hi Everyone...

Quick question as i haven't had a dog with this before. My 9month old puppy had bad runny water poos and was vomiting a few times so we took him to the vet Friday morning. They gave him an injection and some scourban and tablets to fix him up (didnt say Gastro but thats what im suspecting). They also put him on rice and chicken diet. So last few days we have followed everything they told us. He is not eating the rice but loves the chicken so is eating small portions of boiled chicken and isnt drinking as much as normal (but im forcing him to do so in this heat).

Only problem is he hasnt done a poo since early friday morning he is weeing OK... is this normal? He is a bit lathargic (but the heat knocks him around normally) he isnt himself and i can understand that with a tummy issue. But im just not sure when he is supposed pass something.

Any ideas?...

He has to go back to the vets tomorrow afternoon for checkup but im wondering if i should take him earlier than that.

Thanks in advance

I would think that,after all the diarrhoea and vomiting, his system would have been empty.

A few mouthfuls of boiled chicken will not be much in the scheme of things . :rofl:

Are you boiling the chicken and rice together?

doing it this way- in a minimum of water .. and almost no salt.. means that the chicken breaks down and saturates the gluggy rice with flavour :) Cut chicken into small pieces before cooking.....

I cook the chicken and rice together as well - they love it. No salt though !!! I do also use the water to get them drinking more.

The scourban and injection would have been to bind him up - and it does ! Scourban would stop a tap from running I think :(

Try mixing some plain yoghurt into the chicken and rice - this will rebalance the good working bacteria and line his tummy. I also use Charocaps (you can get them from the chemist) - they are charcoal capsules and mintec tabs (can get these from the supermarket or chemist). The charcoal absorbs toxins or whatever caused the upset in the first place (does make the droppings darker though so remember that and don't stress) and the mintec tabs sooth the stomach and gut lining which makes them feel like eating.

You can also get Zeolite - which is pretty amazing in that it cleans out the system of all toxins. Just search it online - you will find a supplier.

Hope he's feeling better soon and running around causing puppy trouble soon :)

Thanks everyone for the replys....! I didnt think id ever be so happy to see a # 2 as i was yesterday afternoon :thumbsup: ... still bit runny but much better. He is getting back to his normal self slowly!.

Taking in all the info about the chicken and rice so thanks for all the tips!

I suspect you were given anti-biotics to cure the problem, if so I HIGHLY reccomend feeding Yoghurt.

Just a normal size tub a day for 3 or 4 days.

Reason is that antibiotics kill all bacteria, but they need some in the gut to break food down and yoghurt will provide it.

Easy to feed as they ( usually ) like it

Dave

I suspect you were given anti-biotics to cure the problem, if so I HIGHLY reccomend feeding Yoghurt.

Just a normal size tub a day for 3 or 4 days.

Reason is that antibiotics kill all bacteria, but they need some in the gut to break food down and yoghurt will provide it.

Easy to feed as they ( usually ) like it

Dave

Thanks Dave.... What type of Yoghurt do i buy? is it just a natural one? Thanks :cry:

Chicken has very little bulk.

Hills I/D cans are basically cooked chicken and rice - great for feeding a dog recovering from a stomach bug.

The yoghurt is a great idea but hold off until your dog has returned to a normal diet - you don't want upset that sore stomach!