Ollie's Weightloss Progress

HugUrPup

Ollie has been on a diet for a couple of weeks and is looking awesome :laugh: his breathing is much better now too.. but I am still afraid of walking him further than to the end of the street.

I am getting a secondhand stroller off ebay so when I take him for walks, I can pop him in if he starts wheezing.

I took a few pics tonight :laugh: tell me what you think. Compared to the sig I reckon he's done great.

olliedietjpg.jpg

olliediet1jpg.jpg

olliediet2jpg.jpg

olliediet4jpg.jpg

Wow,

Great job Ollie!!!

My pit got over weight (almost 2 years ago). I had broken my shoulder and fractured my neck and couldn't walk her for ages.

The kids were feeding the dogs so of course everything was overdone and lots of treats...LOL

I thought it would be so hard to get her back into shape. She has a heart condtion so the weight wasn't good and she also could not walk too far in one go (with muzzle on) or in the heat.

For some reason it seems to be so much easier for the dogs than it is for us...

Make sure you keep us posted..it is so good to see the 'winner' stories!!!

OMG I can't even begin to imagine what you went through with those injuries :laugh:

Yep, Ollie got fat because of the treats my kids were giving him. I don't buy the dog biscuits or chocolates anymore so that problem is solved :rofl:

I've been dieting a couple more weeks longer than Ollie and my weight hasn't budged at all :laugh: I wish I had his metabolism.

Ollie looks great! :)

Cooked mashed pumpkin is a great filler and makes you dog feel full but won't put the weight on them.

Keep up the good work with Ollie, his health will thank you for it!

Sadly I see too many extremely overweight pugs, they are meant to be cobby but not fat.

Puggerup keep up what you are doing it is working! :)

He still looks to be carrying too much weight to me. [hides from Fliss]

Can you feel his ribs with the flat of your hand? If you can't, he needs to loose more. He should also have an obvious waist when viewed from above.

Keep dieting him. :)

Edited by poodlefan

I am mainly giving him vegies except for when I am feeling lazy or it's a really hot night (like tonight), then I give him weight control kibble.. there are a few brands that have it. :)

Make sure he gets protein. His diet should consist mainly of meat. If you change him to a diet of mostly veges he may become ill. Lean raw meat and meaty bones should make up the majority of his diet with some veges added.

I am getting conflicting advice :thumbsup: I've been told to cut down on his meat and increase the vegies to fill him up.

He can't eat raw meat because it makes him vomit.. this includes chicken necks and raw mince of any kind.

I give him sardines and add small amount of pasta or rice or kibble, but the bulk of his diet are vegies at the moment.

I don't want to make him sick :thumbsup:

I am getting conflicting advice :thumbsup: I've been told to cut down on his meat and increase the vegies to fill him up.

He can't eat raw meat because it makes him vomit.. this includes chicken necks and raw mince of any kind.

I give him sardines and add small amount of pasta or rice or kibble, but the bulk of his diet are vegies at the moment.

I don't want to make him sick :thumbsup:

I would suggest you try a light (diet) kibble for at least some meals. Lose the pasta and rice - it has little nutritional value for dogs - its just carbs.

Even if overweight, he still needs correct nutrition. The veggies usually just serve to fill them up.

Yep the kibble is for weight control, so I will just use that instead of any pasta or rice, but I mix it just to get him to eat the vegies which I puree.

When I don't give him any kibble then how much cooked meat do you recommend giving him with the vegies?

Yep the kibble is for weight control, so I will just use that instead of any pasta or rice, but I mix it just to get him to eat the vegies which I puree.

When I don't give him any kibble then how much cooked meat do you recommend giving him with the vegies?

I wouldn't feed cooked meat..

Any reason he can't have just kibble?