Ollie's Weightloss Progress

HugUrPup

Any reason he can't have just kibble?

Only because Pointeeblab said he needs meat :thumbsup: now I am even more confuzzled :thumbsup:

I can't give him raw meat and if he doesn't need cooked meat, I will just keep doing what I am doing minus the rice and pasta and just give him a handful of kibble everyday mixed with vegies to fill him up.

Only because Pointeeblab said he needs meat :thumbsup: now I am even more confuzzled :thumbsup:

I can't give him raw meat and if he doesn't need cooked meat, I will just keep doing what I am doing minus the rice and pasta and just give him a handful of kibble everyday mixed with vegies to fill him up.

There is meat in kibble. He needs protein, calcium, vitamins and minerals etc.

I suggest you research and feed a balanced raw diet (which you say your dog vomits) or the best quality kibble you can afford.

Several of the super premium kibbles do a "light" or "diet" version. Artemis is one.

Then when the weight is off, don't feed too much. If you see him putting it on again you need to reduce the quantity fed.

As dogs mature, like us their metabolisms drop. A mature dog doesn't need as much food as a growing pup. Watch what he gets outside of meals too - treats and snacks can be a big source of weight gain for dogs.

A pug has a small stomach.. probably no more than half cup of anything in an entire day is enough.. the fact that they will gorge doesn't mean they need to eat more.

Edited by poodlefan

ahhh I get you

Thanks Poodlefan :thumbsup: I'll see if he likes that Artemis food too.

Lots of the major pet food manufacturers make a light food. Obesity is a real issue for dogs these days.

It IS possible to have a trim Pug. Check out this agility pug.. While Pugs are loose skinned, they don't need rolls of fat under it.

toutdesuite2-18-06web2.jpg

Edited by poodlefan

He's doing well Pugger. As I said elsewhere, his protein needs are sufficently being met for the time being with the kibble and fish. His diet is only temporary and is designed to make him lose weight. What you have him on is fine for this and you can increase his protein when he reaches the goal weight.

• 2 weeks later...

Aww, you are doing well. I know how hard it is to diet a pug - they are the natural hoovers of the doggy world :) Our first pug was a constant battle to keep him a healthy weight.

Max has come to us very overweight - he is a 10 month old pug who weighs just over 14 kg - ribs, I think he has them in there!

He is on kibble, but until he is one I am hesitant to feed him anything but a puppy formula kibble. He really needs the 'diet' ones but I think his body is still growing so the puppy ones are better for him. I'm just being really strict with table treats and 2 walks a day, with plenty of ball chasing and racing around the yard with the kids thrown in too.

Keep going - you are doing well - and getting him onto a good kibble diet will work wonders too :thanks:

I had California Natural for Pugsley (but that was a few years ago) and he didn't like it - fuss pot though!

I am mainly giving him vegies except for when I am feeling lazy or it's a really hot night (like tonight), then I give him weight control kibble.. there are a few brands that have it. :)

Make sure he gets protein. His diet should consist mainly of meat. If you change him to a diet of mostly veges he may become ill. Lean raw meat and meaty bones should make up the majority of his diet with some veges added.

That's exactly what I am about to say. Dogs are not by nature creatures that thrive on veggies. They are MEAT eaters. I also give my dogs veggies, but not as the staple. They get them as an extra to their meat and bone meals. Everything is served raw, even the veggies. On very rare occasions they may have cooked veggies from the table, but I prepare for them their lot in the kitchen food processor.

Other than when you feed the weight control kibble, which, by the way, I have no faith in, does he get to eat next to the veggies?

Only because Pointeeblab said he needs meat :thanks: now I am even more confuzzled :)

There is meat in kibble. He needs protein, calcium, vitamins and minerals etc.

I suggest you research and feed a balanced raw diet (which you say your dog vomits) or the best quality kibble you can afford.

Several of the super premium kibbles do a "light" or "diet" version. Artemis is one.

Then when the weight is off, don't feed too much. If you see him putting it on again you need to reduce the quantity fed.

As dogs mature, like us their metabolisms drop. A mature dog doesn't need as much food as a growing pup. Watch what he gets outside of meals too - treats and snacks can be a big source of weight gain for dogs.

A pug has a small stomach.. probably no more than half cup of anything in an entire day is enough.. the fact that they will gorge doesn't mean they need to eat more.

Most of the so called 'Meat' in kibble is meat meal, or meat flavours. Again, i repeat myself. A dog needs MEAT, and the best way to feed it is raw as you said.

Ollie has been on a diet for a couple of weeks and is looking awesome :) his breathing is much better now too.. but I am still afraid of walking him further than to the end of the street.

I am getting a secondhand stroller off ebay so when I take him for walks, I can pop him in if he starts wheezing.

I took a few pics tonight :thanks: tell me what you think. Compared to the sig I reckon he's done great.

olliedietjpg.jpg

olliediet1jpg.jpg

olliediet2jpg.jpg

olliediet4jpg.jpg

I don't understand. You say you are trying to reduce his weight, and besides reducing his calorie intake, walking is probably the next best thing, then why are you considering buying a stroller. Not doing your pup any good.

Hi twodoggies2001 :rofl:

I understand your concern. Ollie had some breathing problems when his weight reached it's peak and walking him could have killed him. I decided to try and reduce his weight before putting him through surgery to find out if he had an elongated palette which is common in brachy breads. His breathing is much better now that is weight has dropped, so he is now going for regular short walks on cool days.

In regards to raw meat, he vomits it. I have tried him on raw chicken necks, roo meat and beef. He regurgitates all of them. I have to cook his meat when he eats it, but for now he is on the weight control kibble and vegies to fill him up. He is having less vegies and more kibble now to maintain his weight loss.

Hi twodoggies2001 :rofl:

I understand your concern. Ollie had some breathing problems when his weight reached it's peak and walking him could have killed him. I decided to try and reduce his weight before putting him through surgery to find out if he had an elongated palette which is common in brachy breads. His breathing is much better now that is weight has dropped, so he is now going for regular short walks on cool days.

In regards to raw meat, he vomits it. I have tried him on raw chicken necks, roo meat and beef. He regurgitates all of them. I have to cook his meat when he eats it, but for now he is on the weight control kibble and vegies to fill him up. He is having less vegies and more kibble now to maintain his weight loss.

Have you tried introducing the raw in very small amounts at a time? Even if you just lightly cook just the meat, perhaps oin the microwave oven for a few seconds and if that stays down, gradually introduce fully raw. This might make a difference. If he in fact eats it when it is fully raw means he is not objecting to be fed this way. I'm sorry if I keep going on about meat for dogs, but I am so against feeding commercial processed foods. Imagine yourself eating processed food day in and day out.

I house sat my cousin's mini schnauzer over the holidays and a bag of Eukanuba was brought with him. I had mentioned to my cousin how I feed and he said it was OK to feed Harry the same if I wanted to. After seeing what my boys were fed, he flatly refused to eat until he got the same lol.

The California Natural kibble is 100% natural food with no artifical stuff...however yes it's obviously processed, but I don't eat raw food all of the time either.

Most foods have gone through some type of processing.. for example, cheese, milk, yogurt, bread etc

I do microwave chicken for the dogs but not since the diet started. He was having zapped chicken breast, kibble and treats everyday which is why he got so fat LOL

He will eat anything I offer him, so he would eat raw meat.. but he will eat it 3 times over :rofl: it's so gross.