Ear Infection- Mites/bacteria/fungus

Cazwah

Hi everyone,

My 9 week 5 day old miniature dachshund puppy had his first visit with us to the vet on saturday. It was pretty scary for all of us I think. We took him to get his ears checked out. He had been scratching them a lot, as well as his ribs and shoulders. The vet showed us the black wax that was in his ear canal and put Chestnut on ear drops that should cover mites, bacteria and fungus. He also gave Chestnut a shot of dexmethasone (not sure of the dose) to help with the inflammation. I am wondering if ear infections like this are common in a puppy, if I should tell the breeders in case any of their other pups have shown similar symptoms, and if the shot of dex is common practise. He said the infection was not inner ear, but outide of the ear drum, if that makes a difference.

Also I need to ask:

-- is it okay to go to the vet up to a week early for Chestnut's 12 week old vaccinations or should it be closer to the day it's due?

-- We bought sentinal for small dogs 4-11kg. Chestnut is about 2.5kg, is it still safe? And is it true you can no longer buy the tablet form/

-- Lastly, and I'm a little embarassed to ask because I'm sure this must be a silly question, is it normal for puppies to hic cup a lot? Chestnut gets the hic cups most times after he wakes up. It only lasts a little while, but the first time I saw it I freaked out!

I'm a first time puppy owner so I'm pretty anxious about Chesty-nut's health. Also being a nurse of the human variety I'm very aware of how much I do not know about health of the doggy variety!!

post-31333-1263170381_thumb.jpg

post-31333-1263170414_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

My 9 week 5 day old miniature dachshund puppy had his first visit with us to the vet on saturday. It was pretty scary for all of us I think. We took him to get his ears checked out. He had been scratching them a lot, as well as his ribs and shoulders. The vet showed us the black wax that was in his ear canal and put Chestnut on ear drops that should cover mites, bacteria and fungus. He also gave Chestnut a shot of dexmethasone (not sure of the dose) to help with the inflammation. I am wondering if ear infections like this are common in a puppy, if I should tell the breeders in case any of their other pups have shown similar symptoms, and if the shot of dex is common practise. He said the infection was not inner ear, but outide of the ear drum, if that makes a difference.

Also I need to ask:

-- is it okay to go to the vet up to a week early for Chestnut's 12 week old vaccinations or should it be closer to the day it's due?

-- We bought sentinal for small dogs 4-11kg. Chestnut is about 2.5kg, is it still safe? And is it true you can no longer buy the tablet form/

-- Lastly, and I'm a little embarassed to ask because I'm sure this must be a silly question, is it normal for puppies to hic cup a lot? Chestnut gets the hic cups most times after he wakes up. It only lasts a little while, but the first time I saw it I freaked out!

I'm a first time puppy owner so I'm pretty anxious about Chesty-nut's health. Also being a nurse of the human variety I'm very aware of how much I do not know about health of the doggy variety!!

Firstly pups do hiccough a lot!

Dogs with ears that hang and cover their ear openings are very prone to ear infections, my lab pup is 9 months old, he had an ear infection about 6 weeks ago and its flaring up again, its very hard to get rid of.

Did the vet have a look at a sample of the wax under a microscope? It is not uncommon for puppies to have ear mites and then develop a secondary yeast infection due to all the irritation and inflammation.

With regard to the timing of the vaccinations it would depend on the interval between the vaccinations. If it is a 4 week interval (8 weeks, then 12 weeks) then going at 3 weeks would be ok but I wouldn't go any sooner than that.

Hiccups are quite normal :thumbsup:

Edited by Rappie

Thanks for the replies Mason's mum and Rappie! I'm glad hic cups are normal, I was pretty sure they must be, but then got paranoid about his diet or the way I pick him up etc etc :thumbsup:

Rappie- the vet didn't look at the ear gunk under a microscope, he just said regardless of the cause, the "Auracol" drops would fix it, and to come back after the 7 day course is finished. Also, re the vaccinations, we have scheduled it for 12 weeks on the dot, he wanted me to come earlier but I just said I couldn't make it.

Thanks again for the replies!! :thumbsup:

Hi Cazwah,we were told to leave our pups vaccinations for as close to the due date as possible.

As for the Hiccups,Wuggles used to,and still does get them,sometimes he gets doubles,and sometimes he gets tripple hiccups,which is pretty funny to watch,so it is very common in pups,he doesnt get them as much now,he burps like a pig instead.

With the ears mites and infections,because Wugs is a pug,with overhanging ears,our vet gets a sample under the microscope every visit we get.Thats why the vet gave us Advocate,as it helps prevent ear mites.

Edited by PuggaWuggles

Thanks Puggawuggles, I have made the appointment for Chestnut's vaccinations on his 12 week birthday, I really didn't want to go any earlier. With the advocate you use, is that a mites/fleas/ticks treatment of does it cover worms as well? We've been told to use sentinal but it doesn't cover ticks, I don't think it covers ear mites either...

If it is just a fungal infection in the ears then I can tell you in Qld this summer I have found ear problems are much more common especially with dogs with drop ears.

Luckily it is easy enough to fix although time consuming!

If it is just a fungal infection in the ears then I can tell you in Qld this summer I have found ear problems are much more common especially with dogs with drop ears.

Luckily it is easy enough to fix although time consuming!

Ooh thanks Stitch, I am in QLD. I'll be sure to keep up the treatment and keep on handling his ears in case it ever comes back. Is there any kind of preventative measure I can take? I asked the vet if I should be wiping his ears or something, he said no. Is there anything else I could be doing preventatively? As he has lovely droopy ears I know he will always be prone to ear infections.

post-31333-1263351725_thumb.jpg