Scratching At Collar

The mutt has a problem with his collar and it's gotten worse since I spent a fortune on a new one :laugh: He doesn't have fleas, he doesn't appear to have any allergies or rashes. When I take his collar off he stops scratching.

When it's back on the scratching is back, he's at it a few times an hour and stops when I tell him off. I've had him for 4 1/2 years and he's always done it, despite wearing a collar all the time. I would think he's used to it by now.

It's happened across 3 different collars too, varying tightnesses and he doesn't have enough coat for them to be catching fur or anything. He's not scratching anywhere else, just at the collar.

I'm beginning to say "Oi!" every time I see him and he stops immediately, could it be that it's become a bad habit over the years and he just needs the distraction to break the behaviour? I'll start coupling that with praise if I see him start to raise his foot to scratch and he stops when I tell him to see if that helps, but I really don't know why he started it in the first place.

Does that sound about right?

Is there anything else happening when he starts scratching? Is it happening randomly day and night or during training? Can you watch him through a window and see if he does it when you're not around? Does he have any neck issues that you might not be aware of that perhaps the collar irritates somehow? These are just the first things that popped into my head on reading your post. Maybe he has sensitive skin or pehaps it's just become a conditioned response to the collar over time. Just out of curiosity I wonder whether he would do the same with a lightweight cloth like a bandana loosely tied around his neck (just as an experiment to see his response).

Is there anything else happening when he starts scratching? Is it happening randomly day and night or during training? Can you watch him through a window and see if he does it when you're not around? Does he have any neck issues that you might not be aware of that perhaps the collar irritates somehow? These are just the first things that popped into my head on reading your post. Maybe he has sensitive skin or pehaps it's just become a conditioned response to the collar over time. Just out of curiosity I wonder whether he would do the same with a lightweight cloth like a bandana loosely tied around his neck (just as an experiment to see his response).

Nah, nothing seems to trigger it and it's random. He doesn't do it when he's occupied with other things, so while training I don't think he's ever done it. Same with on walks.

No skin or neck issues that I can see, his fur looks fine and this is the 3rd collar he's had with no change in behaviour. He does it with anything he can feel on his neck, the bandana he wears at obedience also makes him scratch.

I think you're right about the conditioned response part maybe, I wonder if he just doesn't like collars and the scratching is just a bad habit or something? The fact that I can stop him verbally says to me that it can be broken.

I dunno, good to know that others have the same problem! I keep having to explain to visitors that he doesn't have fleas, he just seems to hate his collar.

Both of mine do it - with all different sorts of collars

Older whippet is worse than younger one

Don't know why

Hmm well he IS half sighthound, maybe that's what causes it :eat:

Nah, nothing seems to trigger it and it's random. He doesn't do it when he's occupied with other things, so while training I don't think he's ever done it. Same with on walks.

My boy is the same. Was from the outset. Still is. I did the usual collar conditioning. I tend to find it is worse the closer the collar is to sitting up behind his ears. I really don't know, but I wondered on it being a nerve area sensitivity (as opposed to any general skin sensitivity). As with your boy, mine doesn't worry about it once we get going (walking/training). But once we stop he'll pay it a bit of attention. It makes no difference what style/material of collar he is wearing. It is not constant though. Just as though that every now and again he finds it annoying.

A friend's lab was the same and from time to time I come across other dogs who are similar.

Edited by Erny

Good to know there's other dogs that have a similar thing! I guess as a human equivalent I dislike wearing round neck t-shirts/jumpers as they just irritate me and I tug and stretch at the neck while I'm wearing it. I'm just aware of a constant pressure on my throat and it irritates. :laugh:

I had the same problem with collars, my thoughts and they are only my thoughts is that the collars don't breath. I have a flat chain collar on Smooch and have never had this problem with him. But the other dogs had leather or nylon collars and they were always scratching at them. Have now replaced them with the flat chain collars and they now seem to be fine. Unfortunately I could not source these collars anymore in Australia and had to get them out of the UK

Good to know there's other dogs that have a similar thing! I guess as a human equivalent I dislike wearing round neck t-shirts/jumpers as they just irritate me and I tug and stretch at the neck while I'm wearing it. I'm just aware of a constant pressure on my throat and it irritates. :)

Yeah that sounds like it could be why :rofl: I think it's developed into a bad habit for him as well though, he'll do it more if he's excited or anxious. Less if he's relaxed and not at all when he's occupied with playing, walking or training.

If indeed it's moved to an attention getter, then even the correction gives the dog the moment of attention it wants. (positive reward for a negative action)

He seems to be on the improve, the last few days I've given him a quick "Oi!" if I see him scratching and he stops straight away. Coupled with praise if he doesn't do it when he looks like he was about to. He's always worked well that way, he's still getting attention with the correction, but he likes the positive stuff a whole lot more.