Learning To Groom My Own Dogs

Zug Zug

Your poodle face is lovely, Zig Zug. :) Very cute dogs! You're lucky, in a way, that you have those types of dogs because if you ever decide to professionally groom you have your test subjects. This is the excuse i am making so i can get a poodle/beddie/poodle x. HAHA.

What number blades are you using?

It's the safety stuff and how to get into the nooks and crannies without risking cutting the skin. I have really never watched anyone do it. Youtube is helpful but you can't ask questions.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement. I think we're making some progress.

Oh and wouldn't this haircut be the ultimate? Got this off the internet. Still relatively short for most of the body, so practical and groovy at the same time. They look like flares!

post-29106-1263807084_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zug Zug

Doing a very nice job Zug-Zug. My biggest tip is "strive for a lighthand" with the clipper.

We always do flares over winter - and by the end of the season they are very flared - especially at the back - as I like a bit of pizzaz

DSCF0003_1.jpg

Edited by frufru

Oh and thanks Koemi - I think they're kinda cute too. Sadly I can never be a real groomer though - I'm hopelessly allergic to most types of dog hair but can tolerate poodle/bichon coat (although still have a mildish reaction while clipping). Professional groomers need to be made of tougher stuff.

And I think that's a marvellous reason/excuse - as if you really need an excuse! :)

I am pining for a puppy too at the moment - having to resist the urge. Trying to stay on side with husband to bring him around to the idea. Using his hair clippers (not sure what number - possibly no. 10?) probably wasn't a good start. I fessed up. We're still married. Just.

Yay - frufru - go the flares, I love it!

Edited by Zug Zug

Done 1 of mine similar to that. Slight variation on leg/hip. Used a number 30 on the body. Easy to look after.

Bit wind blown as he has been tearing around the garden like a lunatic with the others. Why do people think toys are couch potatoes ?

post-8073-1263807793_thumb.jpg

post-8073-1263807836_thumb.jpg

Not keen on toe blades. As you only use one corner of the blade to do in between the toes it makes no difference really but depends what you are used to.

Totally agree with this,we use to use them but really didnt like the finish,they way they cut & the fact that untrained dogs & this balde dont seem to mix.

We never had an issue but could see issues.

We do the exact same just use the corner easy peasy

It seems to make their legs look longer. Not sure why that is, but I really like that look.

Is it hard to keep the prickles away?

If your brushing correctly & regulary pickles .knots & the likes wont be there.

The key to remember is the longer you leave the coat then the more time you need to allow for brushing through from the skin upwards.

Also the trim you like is most likely maintained weekly /fortnightly & hand scissored

Not keen on toe blades. As you only use one corner of the blade to do in between the toes it makes no difference really but depends what you are used to.

Totally agree with this,we use to use them but really didnt like the finish,they way they cut & the fact that untrained dogs & this balde dont seem to mix.

We never had an issue but could see issues.

We do the exact same just use the corner easy peasy

I have only been clipping my dogs since last September and find it a bit easier to use than a full blade. I am also steering clear of anything shorter than a #10 blade as I just dont have the talent/touch to use it correctly. In the end I am happy, the dogs are comfy and it saves me $140 every 8 weeks :thumbsup:

If anyone knows someone in Canberra who is happy to give me a demo and pointers I would be happy to pay :laugh:

Shells I bought a little cordless Arco Moser to do face, feet and tail and it is really good for us beginners.

It is quieter, lighter, doesn't seem to heat up as much and without the cord more manouverable than a full clipper.

You couldn't do a full body clip with it but for touch ups and f,f & t I love it.

It only has one blade (not interchangable with other clippers) but you can choose to cut with either a #9, #10, #15, #30 or #40. Originally I was told the blades couldn't be resharpened but did find a place who was happy to give it a go and they were brilliant.