Tips Needed On Blocking Off Grass Area From The Dogs

RubyStar

I remember, Golden Rules (now that I've figured out who you are, LOL!) How's the garden looking? Should be quite lush by now. If mine's anything to go by your cannas should be showing their true colours and the justicias should hopefully have shown why I rave about them. 'Bout time I called you to arrange a visit I reckon! :(

:)

My garden bed got so far and then just stopped ;)

No, the cannas are not in flower at all (I have had 2 flowers about 6 or 8 weeks ago, that's all) and the rest isn't doing much at all. What are the justicias? Are they the things that are supposed to have red flowers? If so, they are about 80cm tall but no sign of flowers.

Most of the agapanthus have settled in well, some of THEM look lush and a couple have flower heads on them but I don't think much else is happy to grow, even though it gets watered often. Maybe it's the tree they are under. I'm tempted to just fill the beds with agapanthus as they seem happy enough :laugh:

Rubystar, my dogs were never interested in eating the berries from the Cocos Palms :(

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:offtopic:

My garden bed got so far and then just stopped :(

No, the cannas are not in flower at all (I have had 2 flowers about 6 or 8 weeks ago, that's all) and the rest isn't doing much at all. What are the justicias? Are they the things that are supposed to have red flowers? If so, they are about 80cm tall but no sign of flowers.

Most of the agapanthus have settled in well, some of THEM look lush and a couple have flower heads on them but I don't think much else is happy to grow, even though it gets watered often. Maybe it's the tree they are under. I'm tempted to just fill the beds with agapanthus as they seem happy enough :laugh:

Rubystar, my dogs were never interested in eating the berries from the Cocos Palms :thumbsup:

:offtopic: (sorry Rubystar, I'll keep it short)

I'll come by soon when it's not too hot and we'll figure out how to get it looking fab. The justicias flower in winter btw, which is why you don't have any flowers at the moment. ;) Good to hear they've grown though. The cannas might just be settling in. So long as the leaves look healthy I wouldn't worry about flowering at this stage but fertiliser will help bring on flowers.

I remember, Golden Rules (now that I've figured out who you are, LOL!) How's the garden looking? Should be quite lush by now. If mine's anything to go by your cannas should be showing their true colours and the justicias should hopefully have shown why I rave about them. 'Bout time I called you to arrange a visit I reckon! :offtopic:

Rubystar, I second what Tiggy and Golden Rules say - I'd keep the apricot too. The palm...well...you won't find a taker for a cocos that big unless you are willing to call all the big landscaping companies and maybe a developer or two, and even then they probably won't want it as cocos went out of favour when everyone realised what a pain in the butt they are. I have one down the back of my place too and it has a MOUND of berries under it from years of them building up before I moved in...then of course there's the thousands of cocos babies springing up...eurk.

Regarding recommendations for plants, no worries, but I need more info regarding sun/shade, aspect, your preferences and yep, you can book me for a consultation if you like, mates rates of course, but in the meantime, take the little bit of advice I gave you earlier and get yourself down to Bunnings for some Seasol and wetting agent. It's only about $16 (I think) for a double pack of Seasol and the wetting agent shouldn't cost you more than about $15 either. (possibly a bit cheaper, my memory fails me as I bought them wholesale in a keg a few years ago so haven't bought retail for a few years) Then after applying them, make sure you give the lawn some water regularly. You are allowed to hand water outside of your watering days by the way.

About 8 weeks ago a wetting agent was put on, is that too soon to do again? The top soil that was put on on the weekend apparently has a wetting agent and fertilizer in it, too. Even though you said the top soil wasn't the best idea (my parents have been insisting for ages to top dress it!), what shall I do now that it is already on? Wait a few weeks then do the Seasol/wetting agent again? Do I let it keep growing or mow often while I'm trying to "resucsitate" it?

The part of the garden needing plants by the patio gets no sun, it's all shade! It's between the patio and the fence with other trees over it (such as next door's lemon tree that hangs over). I just need plants that do well in shade, don't grow too tall, don't flower (I don't like attracting bees/wasps if possible! Fear them dreadfully!) and obviously safe for dogs. But I can just troll Bunnings or somewhere I suppose for some plants! Cos no matter what I get, I'm certain to kill it! :thumbsup:

Getting my first tree cutting quote tomorrow :offtopic:

:thumbsup: (sorry Rubystar, I'll keep it short)

I'll come by soon when it's not too hot and we'll figure out how to get it looking fab. The justicias flower in winter btw, which is why you don't have any flowers at the moment. :offtopic: Good to hear they've grown though. The cannas might just be settling in. So long as the leaves look healthy I wouldn't worry about flowering at this stage but fertiliser will help bring on flowers.

Don't worry! It's all related! Talk to your hearts content about gardens in here :offtopic:

It is a Cape Lilac (Melia Azedarach), also known as White Cedar ...

Oh :thumbsup: .... what a shame these trees carry the disadvantages you mention. Good to know though. I'm looking for a tree to plant in my back yard that will 'fit the bill' and wandering through our neighbouring Botanic Park, caught the beautiful perfume of what I'm sure are also White Cedars. I really liked those trees when they are in bloom and toyed with the idea of planting one at home. Quickly dismissed the idea when I googled and found out how large they grow. Just as well, it seems?

Crepe Myrtles (Lagerstroemia indica) are nice if you want two smaller trees.

Crepe Myrtles are in my "Top 5" favourites as far as trees goes. I planted one in my naturestrip. It was only smallish at the time and has taken a while to get a wriggle on (not helped by previous nasty neighbours who broke off one of the main centre pieces that would have formed the main of the trunk) but with time and helped I think by the break in Melbourne's drought, seems to be on the move now. Each year its flower display is improving and becoming more prolific.

I realise my post is OT and I hope the OP doesn't mind too much, but whilst I'm on the subject of Crepe Myrtles, I planted a miniature Crepe Myrtle a good number of years ago. Its size now is around the 1 - 1.5 metre height and spread and it puts on the most magnificant flower display (purple) that lasts throughout the hot summer months and beyond.

I've included a picture here for anyone interested - I love it. This piccy was taken 3 years ago and it does not do it justice. It is bigger and more full now, and covered more by flowers than what is shown here. I know I have a more current photo of it, but I can't find it.

One of my other faves is the Jacaranda Tree. This one is still young and was planted as a fairly small tree. The flowers were a bit thicker than this, but some hard rains and wind took some of them away.

post-5887-1263816733_thumb.jpg

Doesn't help the OP one iota as far as the fencing ideas are concerned, but someone reading might enjoy the snippet :offtopic:.

The part of the garden needing plants by the patio gets no sun, it's all shade! It's between the patio and the fence with other trees over it (such as next door's lemon tree that hangs over). I just need plants that do well in shade, don't grow too tall, don't flower (I don't like attracting bees/wasps if possible! Fear them dreadfully!) and obviously safe for dogs. But I can just troll Bunnings or somewhere I suppose for some plants! Cos no matter what I get, I'm certain to kill it! :thumbsup:

I reckon just keep watering your lawn and do a weekly Seasol thing. I feed it to my potted plants when I remember and they seem to be surviving this heat.

As for the lemon tree hanging over, that's brilliant!!! Do you drink Gin and Tonic? :offtopic: Otheriwse, make lots of lemon meringue pies!

At my old house, I planted Peace Lilys (sorry, don't know the botannical name) and they grew quickly, easily and very lush with the odd white lily flower, very pretty! They do need a bit of water though and only shade, no sun.

I just need plants that do well in shade, don't grow too tall, don't flower (I don't like attracting bees/wasps if possible! Fear them dreadfully!) and obviously safe for dogs. But I can just troll Bunnings or somewhere I suppose for some plants! Cos no matter what I get, I'm certain to kill it! :thumbsup:

I agree. Make use of the lemon tree! I have a huge one (grows and fruits really well) and I keep the neighbours, my family and friends supplied in lemons :offtopic:.

For plants that quite like a bit of shade/not much sun, and don't require much in the way of water, perhaps think about putting in some Clivia's. They enjoy shade (can be planted under trees) and once they are established are fairly drought tolerant and hardy plants. They don't like frosts and are prone to their leaves burning if open to harsh sun.

Clivia can be seen here in this picture (which unfortunately is NOT of my own garden) - they are the ones that kind of look like agapanthus but have the orange flowers. They come in other colours too, but read up on these.

post-5887-1263821854_thumb.jpg

Don't worry about the thread deviating from the original question, I think this has turned into more of a garden FAQ which I really need!! Clearly! :offtopic:

The Clivia looks pretty! But do they attract bees? :offtopic: I don't fancy not being able to sit out on my patio because I have bees buzzing nearby, scaring the crap outta me!! :laugh:

The Jacaranda tree is sooooo pretty, but makes an awful mess and attracts a gazillion bees! So not my cup of tea :thumbsup:

My mum currently makes use of the lemon tree :( I'll have to find me some lemon recipes!

I reckon just keep watering your lawn and do a weekly Seasol thing. I feed it to my potted plants when I remember and they seem to be surviving this heat.

So you can use Season that often?

Should I do this while the top dressing is still present?

Stupid gardens! Too much work! :thumbsup: The flowers out the front need watering every day or the flowers die off! Talk about temperamental!! Couldn't tell you the name of the plant, though :offtopic: Except the flowers are small and I have some in purple and some in white! Doesn't grow very high but spreads sideways :offtopic:

About 8 weeks ago a wetting agent was put on, is that too soon to do again? The top soil that was put on on the weekend apparently has a wetting agent and fertilizer in it, too. Even though you said the top soil wasn't the best idea (my parents have been insisting for ages to top dress it!), what shall I do now that it is already on? Wait a few weeks then do the Seasol/wetting agent again? Do I let it keep growing or mow often while I'm trying to "resucsitate" it?

Getting my first tree cutting quote tomorrow :offtopic:

No it's not too soon for the wetting agent, although wetting agent is not an excuse not to give enough water, it will help retain the water that you do add. For a really water repellent area, I recommend three applications of wetting agent fortnightly, and then one or two applications at the beginning of spring, summer and autumn. Seasol is a wonder product and virtually can't be overused.

I didn't say the topsoil was a bad idea, just that it won't fix the problem. It won't hurt either, and it's good that it has fertiliser and wetting agent in it.

Mow it high. Don't scalp, but gentle mowing will encourage it to thicken up.

Non flowering patio/shade plants:

Spathiphyllum (GR's Peace Lily) - added bonus of leaves wilting when it's past time to water and bouncing back as soon as you water, so is a great 'indicator plant' for the whole area. Big lush green leaves. (also look for the giant form..very gorgeous, I'll try to remember to get a pic of mine in the next couple of days if my camera batteries are charged)

Philodendron 'Xanadu'

Aspidistra

Syngonium (groundcover)

Ctenanthe (silver and green leaves with purple undersides)

Cordyline 'Kiwi Pride' (green and cream leaves with a hot pink edge)

BTW, how tall is 'too tall'? The ones above are all under a metre tall except for the Cordyline, which might make it to 1.5m if it likes you.

Oops! Previous post wouldn't allow the two attachments. This one is the miniature Crepe Myrtle :

I did wonder. ;)

Stupid gardens! Too much work! :offtopic: The flowers out the front need watering every day or the flowers die off! Talk about temperamental!! Couldn't tell you the name of the plant, though :( Except the flowers are small and I have some in purple and some in white! Doesn't grow very high but spreads sideways :laugh:

Post a piccie and I'll probably be able to tell you what they are if you're interested. Try wetting agent out the front too.

Thanks for the info! :eek:

I had one tree quote today, getting another tomorrow. Hoping to make a decision very soon and getting them cut down ASAP! I wanted to move in on the weekend! Will keep the dogs inside then until the tree is gone.

Stupid gardens! Too much work! :eek: The flowers out the front need watering every day or the flowers die off! Talk about temperamental!! Couldn't tell you the name of the plant, though :( Except the flowers are small and I have some in purple and some in white! Doesn't grow very high but spreads sideways :mad

It's not this is it? Yesterday Today Tomorrow plant: http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/factsheet...ay-Tomorrow/915 I think it's sometimes called morning aftrernoon and night too.

brunfelsia_pauciflora.jpg

If so it can be pretty dangerous for dogs. From the link: "The brown berries have been known to poison dogs. Symptoms include fever, vomiting, muscle tremors, staggering and seizures. If you have a dog, remove the berries every year."

Good luck with your gardening :o It's something that I am terrible at!

For those following the "dramas", the toxic tree and the cocus palm are being cut down on Sat morning :) I don't muck around :) So they'll be gone in time for the dogs to occupy their new garden :)

As for the original question, I'm attempting to block off just half the grass area. That way I can give half a chance to grow back, and giving the dogs the other half to be dogs on. Will this work, well, probably not, but I will be content in the knowledge that I'm trying!

Edited by RubyStar

Toxic PLANT, not plants :) The palm is just for safety's sake, and cos I sick of the mess it makes!

My yard is going to look bare :) I'm bummed the tree has to go, it was going to provide the girls some nice shade while I'm at work and not maky my yard look so stark. Sigh, the things we do for our furbabies!!