Tips Needed On Blocking Off Grass Area From The Dogs

RubyStar

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're looking for new tree ideas my favourite is this one. Hopefully someone can help with the name cause I'm not sure. It get's yellow flowers. It does drop leaves and flowers once or twice a year but I love it, it's so pretty and real shady for the dogs. This isn't the best photo but the first one I could find before work this morning.

001-25.jpg

Looks nice! But no help to me without a name :) The leaves look similar to another tree I have in the yard, but it's probably nothing like it ;)

Not sure I will bother planting another tree in it's place. Just gonna put some more grass down and hope for the best. I've got a couple of trees between the grass and the patio area, so they will do ;) Plus side of removing the tree, at least I have more training area now! The tree would have gotten in the way of doing some backyard heeling and jump work :)

I have two Crepe Myrtles! I really like them, I have a violet coloured one ad a pinky / coral coloured one. One has some blackish stuff on the leaves at the moment though :D

Hey glad you are getting the Cocos removed RS, those berries are bad! Ptolomy's Lexi had to have surgery to remove some once :D Ow.

I know how annoyin lawn is, ours has been down since October and was looking so good ad is starting to get yellow now.

Amypie Lex nearly needed another one removed in the last week so think that confirmed RS's decision to remove them. And yep more training room is always good :thumbsup: .

Edited by ness

I have two Crepe Myrtles! I really like them, I have a violet coloured one ad a pinky / coral coloured one. One has some blackish stuff on the leaves at the moment though :thumbsup:

That sounds like sooty mould which is usually caused by honey type secreting insects (eg. scale). The soot isn't the problem as such but it can stop the leaves from breathing/taking in the light (which prevents photosynthesis - an absolute necessity for plants) and a wash over with a mild soap solution. You might do well to look into a pesticide - Confidor (which is systemic) or a pest oil. I'm no horticolturist - Hortfurball and/or Horus would be our two reigning DOL members in that respect and it would be better to confirm the above with them. I'd hate to hint towards doing something that would damage your tree.

If you're looking for new tree ideas my favourite is this one. Hopefully someone can help with the name cause I'm not sure. It get's yellow flowers. It does drop leaves and flowers once or twice a year but I love it, it's so pretty and real shady for the dogs. This isn't the best photo but the first one I could find before work this morning.

001-25.jpg

I'm pretty sure I know what tree that is, but the name is not coming to me. I'd take a stab and suggest it starts with "A", but the name is so vague in my memory banks that I'm likely to be far wrong. Unless someone (Hortfurbull or Horus or others) come in to enlighten us, I'll try to find out the name and let you know.

Does this tree have longish seed pods?

The only other thing I thought of was that it is a variety of Wattle tree ??? I like Wattle Trees.

Edited by Erny

It does have the longish seed pods. It's not a Wattle, I think it's a NZ tree?

If it is not a Wattle, then it may be what I am thinking of. Do the leaves have a golden tinge to them at any stage? I've seen some that are green, such as yours, and others that are a golden green. Not sure if each is just a variety of itself, or if this is a growth stage phenomena. And if it is the one I am thinking of, I have a seed pod from one that I picked some time ago (and never got around to planting). I have been thinking about planting one of those (not from the seed - I need it faster than that) in my back yard as well, for the lovely shade it provides.

Yes - I apologise too, RubyStar. But I need to ask - do those seed pods turn brown and hard at any stage? The tree still looks similar to what I am thinking, but I'm not so sure now. Need Horus or Hortfurball. Lovely tree.

Edited by Erny

It does have the longish seed pods. It's not a Wattle, I think it's a NZ tree?

If it is not a Wattle, then it may be what I am thinking of. Do the leaves have a golden tinge to them at any stage? I've seen some that are green, such as yours, and others that are a golden green. Not sure if each is just a variety of itself, or if this is a growth stage phenomena. And if it is the one I am thinking of, I have a seed pod from one that I picked some time ago (and never got around to planting). I have been thinking about planting one of those (not from the seed - I need it faster than that) in my back yard as well, for the lovely shade it provides.

It is a Robinia. It is probably Robinia psuedoacacia (pseudoacacia means 'false acacia') and if so, there is another cultivar, R. psuedoacacia 'Frisia' which is the same tree but with golden leaves. 'Frisia' is smaller and less vigorous, so a better choice for smaller gardens. Some Robinias are grafted as they can have thorns along the trunk and branches. It originally comes from the US.

Well done Erny :thumbsup:

:rofl:

On the grass area, it would be easy to just put a few star pickets around where you want it sectioned off, and use a roll of chicken wire or dog wire around it, then just clip it on the pickets with cable ties.

That's all I did when I put down my grass seed and waited for it to get established. No dog got onto it.

Horus :rofl: .

"Acacia" is the name I was thinking of :(. Appreciate you enlightening us ..... I will go to bed easier now, all for the lack of wracking my brain trying to think of that. I think they are reasonably fast growing, too? Appreciate also the tip about grafting -vs- having thorns growing up the trunk. I'll be sure to speak to the nursery about that :). :thumbsup: