Breeders. Reg & Non Reg ? Have I Got This Right ?

Christina

After wading through rights & wrongs, new laws in & proposed laws, seminar & welfare group stuff that is causing controversy

it is all getting confusing so in a nutshell am I understanding this right ? As follows

Registered breeders have a CC with rules & other people want to make rules too.

Registered breeders must health test, where a specific test is possible, & are penalised for breaking the rules.

Registered breeders may only let a bitch have the specified number of litters.

Registered breeders must or will be required soon to pass an exam for registration, in all states.

Registered breeders will not be allowed to inbreed at any level.

Registered breeders must only breed their breed to the same breed.

That's just for starters. Much more I know.

If you are not registered there is no governing body & no rules.

Non registered are not required to health test & if there is a problem & they say they didn't know, that is ok.

Non registered breeders may breed a bitch when they feel like it as often as they like.

Non registered breeders have no registration, therefore no exam.

Non registered breeders can inbreed as they may not know exactly who both parents are or who is related to who, as no pedigree is kept.

Non registered breeders can breed any 2 dogs of any breed, call it a breed name they have made up & if its a bit wrong it doesn't matter.

Just add on to this that if they register as a business & have council approval its a puppy farm & is perfectly legal.

Have I got all this lot right ?

If the answer is yes Why do we bother registering apart from to attend dog shows ?

Feeling very cynical & disillusioned lately with all that is occurring. Guessing I am not alone here.

I have asked myself that question more than once. Especially with the recent incident regarding Judy & her Tibbies and the VCA's lack of interest/support in the matter I keep wondering why I'm spending so much money doing the 'right thing' when I will get zero support from it?? I can get zero support for free :thumbsup:

After wading through rights & wrongs, new laws in & proposed laws, seminar & welfare group stuff that is causing controversy

it is all getting confusing so in a nutshell am I understanding this right ? As follows

Registered breeders have a CC with rules & other people want to make rules too.

Yes

Registered breeders must health test, where a specific test is possible, & are penalised for breaking the rules.

Some breed clubs have petitioned the CC's to not register puppies in their breeds if certain health tests have not been carried out on the sire & dam

Registered breeders may only let a bitch have the specified number of litters.

A specified number of litters in a specified time period and after a specified age for the bitch

Registered breeders must or will be required soon to pass an exam for registration, in all states.

The exam is to obtain a breeder's prefix, which is required to register puppies

Registered breeders will not be allowed to inbreed at any level.

No, if you breed within the same breed then you are inbreeding to a degree. There are to be restrictions on close inbreeding, eg, siblings & parent-offspring, but these are rare anyway, and the average coefficient of inbreeding for CC studbooks that have been examined is less than 6% overall

Registered breeders must only breed their breed to the same breed.

They can get approval for a specified outcross for a specified reason, eg, Dalmatian to Pointer for a genetic disorder, then after four breeding back to pure can be fully registered

That's just for starters. Much more I know.

If you are not registered there is no governing body & no rules.

Non registered are not required to health test & if there is a problem & they say they didn't know, that is ok.

Non registered breeders may breed a bitch when they feel like it as often as they like.

Non registered breeders have no registration, therefore no exam.

Non registered breeders can inbreed as they may not know exactly who both parents are or who is related to who, as no pedigree is kept.

Non registered breeders can breed any 2 dogs of any breed, call it a breed name they have made up & if its a bit wrong it doesn't matter.

Just add on to this that if they register as a business & have council approval its a puppy farm & is perfectly legal.

Yes to all the above

Have I got all this lot right ?

If the answer is yes Why do we bother registering apart from to attend dog shows ?

So that we know the relatives of our dogs and can enquire into the health, performance, etc, of near relatives when making breeding or puppy buying decisions

Feeling very cynical & disillusioned lately with all that is occurring. Guessing I am not alone here.

Yes

TOTALLY off topic, but Pandii, I LOVE your signiture!!!!

Back to the topic, I was TRYING my hardest to tell someone the downfalls/horrible situations of BYB, Pet shop puppies etc and how their breeding stock are kept, and you know what they said to me.... 'Well how can you talk, you have a purebred'. Argh, what a waste of breath!!!! :eek: :D :laugh:

I am feeling very much the same as you at the moment Christina!!

You also forgot..

Registered Breeders in some councils MUST have a Breeders Permit to breed. To obtain, must prove membership/prefix holder with CCC

Registered Breeders MUST also register all dogs with their council and pay yearly registration/breeder permit registration

UNREGISTERED BREEDERS:

CANNOT get Breeders Permit from their council because they are not members of a CCC so breed "hidden" in their back yard

Registration for Whole animals in some councils are quite expensive, so therefore may not be registered with council.

Not having any controlling body (Namely CCC) or abiding by council rules, many are also not compulsary microchipped or vaccinated and are sold at 6 weeks (before standard vacc schedule) and now minimum microchip age with vet's stat dec saying it is not detrimental to the pup

Are not able to be traced/tracked or kept an eye on as registered breeders through their memberships with CCC or council, and therefore fly under legislative radars.