Mosquito Zappers

chuckie500

Mozzies are real bad here at the moment. Does any one use any of those mozzie killing things that you put in the power point? They say to cover your fish tank, so I take it chemicals are released into your home's atmosphere. Are they bad for dogs? which is the safest? Anyone know?

Thanks

Mozzies are real bad here at the moment. Does any one use any of those mozzie killing things that you put in the power point? They say to cover your fish tank, so I take it chemicals are released into your home's atmosphere. Are they bad for dogs? which is the safest? Anyone know?

Thanks

Hi Chuckie

We have two - both Bunnings specials. One out front and one out back. We have birds sit and wait for the charred bugs - so no apparent danger............we have lots and lots and lots of wildlife around - no less for the mozzie zappers so can only assume it is so you don't drop it in the fish tank and electrocute them.....??

We also have heaps of green tree frogs line up waiting for the nightly BBQ.

I am personally not very happy about electrocuting all these souls each night- but it is an area hubby and I have decided to compromise on. My contribution is to put native bass in the dam to eat the mozzie larvae before they hatch.....

Colliehound

If they are chemical based, I don't think you're being too concerned. I know nothing about them, but I am cautious of anything that sends chemical vapours around the house. If they are merely the electric zappers with no chemical vapour, then I'd imagine they'd be fine, so long as they are out of harm's way.

I don't have a definitive answer for you and our South African products are probably different to yours. I have tried both the Doom and Raid products available over here and have opted to rather deal with the mossies! While I've not noticed any effect on Fudge (DSH) both Mickey (Seal-Point Siamese) and I have adverse reactions to them. I get a very dry mouth, nose and throat followed by a headache. Mickey coughs. Mmm, perhaps a zapper is a better option...I'll have to go and check the prices at the co-op, thanks for that idea CH. :(

When we went camping a few years back we had the dog with us and I plugged a mozzie repeller thing in the powerpoint in our tent.

The actual packet said it was pet friendly. We were only there for a week so I wasn't too worried. I don't think Id like to be using one all the time though.

Wonder what those ones that send out the electrical current are like ?

There is no way I would use one of those things that say they are pet friendly. I know of people who have cavies and have used them. They were getting animals aborting as well as grossly deformed babies and animals dying. These were different studs from different areas. Once they got rid of them they had no more losses, abortions or deformities. So as far as I am concerned it also has to have form affect on dogs and cats also.