When Choosing Between Two Breeds....

Henrietta

When we were deciding on breeds the main focus was laid back/relaxed/not needing heaps of exercise and it came down to newfoundlands, ridgebacks or bullmastiffs. We dropped the newfies as OH thought they were too big and too hairy. We wanted a relaxed laid back breed. And we both preferred the look of the bullmastiff over the ridgies so thats what we have now and I would never go back, we definitely made the right choice with this breed.

I now am looking for a small breed(showing/future breeding) to add to the clan. Pug and Boston Terrier are in the front as all the other breeds I like require grooming and I dont have the time for that at the moment such as Papillons, Griffons, Toy poodle, Chinese Crested PP. It wont be happening for a little while yet though, so plenty of time to decide.

Can I just say Kaffy that I don't have time to groom really working a 40 hour week and having an 18 month old, doing volunteer work for the dog club and everything else that goes on in my hectic life, but Paps are really quite simple to groom, I'll go 3 weeks without brushing them sometimes without too much of a problem (occasionally an ear mat which I have to work out). They do require a little more brushing in spring to work out that winter coat, maybe once a week for 5 minutes in an ad break, if that, will do it. Might be a little fragile for a Bullmastiff though!

I've always adored Frenchi's :eek:

Thanks guys for your stories. :eek: I guess fate/circumstance does tend to play a part a lot of the time.

I would be happy to wait for a pup (of either breed) if I felt a particularly breeder and dogs were exactly what I wanted.

I always imagined researching, making a decision, researching and then move towards getting to know some breeders. Do you think it comes across as indecisive if you tell potential breeders that you are still considering two breeds?

In my case the breeds are Miniature Poodle and Brittany.

I have two Mini Poodles. I have a friend with two Brittanys. I find the breeds quite dissimilar.

Mini P's tend to be very people focussed. Brittanys are what they were bred to be - hunting dogs. I don't find them particularly soft natured. The Brittanys are much bigger than a Mini, more inclined to distracted by birds. Poodles don't shed. Believe me Brittanys do!

What is your aim for this dog? Will it be a family pet or a sports dog. Do you have children and if so, how old are they?

My guess is getting to know both breeds better will make the choice between them a lot easier.

Edited by poodlefan

I was tossing between a Mini Poodle and a Cocker Spaniel.

The Cocker won out as he was 8wks old when I went to visit, and the poodles were a few days old. Cory had the saddest, funniest looking expressions so won both my son and myself over straight away .... little did I know those sad looking eyes were a front for a demon dog :eek::cry:

Good luck with your decision. I love both your choices!

Again, two VERY different breeds.

As a noob they both seemed to fit my loose criteria of size, good with kids, good with other dogs (so could be taken to beach/parks etc). Still not sure what the main differences are, but don't regret the decision at all. Sometimes I do wonder whether a poodle would've been a little less crazy, but then again that's part of puppyhood I guess! He is coming along nicely all things considered :eek:

Are you leaning a certain direction Emm?

Again, two VERY different breeds.

As a noob they both seemed to fit my loose criteria of size, good with kids, good with other dogs (so could be taken to beach/parks etc). Still not sure what the main differences are, but don't regret the decision at all. Sometimes I do wonder whether a poodle would've been a little less crazy, but then again that's part of puppyhood I guess! He is coming along nicely all things considered :cry:

Are you leaning a certain direction Emm?

My friend's Cockers are twice the weight of my poodles. Their heads are much larger. Their feet are about 4 times the size of the poodle paws. I find the Cockers are more highly strung and vocal than the poodles. Cockers "fuss" a lot. Their flews get water everywhere when they drink. Not my cup of tea at all. But no doubt many feel the same way about the poodles :eek:

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks guys, this has sure given me some food for thought.

The dog will be companion/ sports dogs. No children.

I do think I have two different breeds here for sure.

I've read that the Brits are affectionate and trainable, but at the same time can be a challenge. The Brits are the ones I have never met (yet). Would you describe them as willfull? Harder to focus? The thing that drew me to the breed was it's build (for agility - seems fairly light), size, temperament. I had my heart set on a gundog at first, GSP was on my list originally...

I won't lie, the grooming thing worried me at first with the mini poodle, but between finding a good groomer and me learning myself (it may not be pretty, at least not at first!) I have figured that I can handle the grooming side of things. It would certainly not put me off the breed.

Activity levels for each are not a concern, I'm active etc, but I'm also an inexperienced trainer...

Another miniature poodle question also. Do they generally like water? They were originally a water dog weren't they?

Thanks guys, this has sure given me some food for thought.

The dog will be companion/ sports dogs. No children.

I do think I have two different breeds here for sure.

I've read that the Brits are affectionate and trainable, but at the same time can be a challenge. The Brits are the ones I have never met (yet). Would you describe them as willfull? Harder to focus? The thing that drew me to the breed was it's build (for agility - seems fairly light), size, temperament. I had my heart set on a gundog at first, GSP was on my list originally...

I won't lie, the grooming thing worried me at first with the mini poodle, but between finding a good groomer and me learning myself (it may not be pretty, at least not at first!) I have figured that I can handle the grooming side of things. It would certainly not put me off the breed.

Activity levels for each are not a concern, I'm active etc, but I'm also an inexperienced trainer...

Another miniature poodle question also. Do they generally like water? They were originally a water dog weren't they?

If you've got your heart set on a sports dog, either (from the right breeder) would be a good bet. But they ARE different.

I find the Brittanys are more easily distracted, less people focussed but once you've got it very trainable. As larger dogs, they are faster for agility.

The poodle grooming is a bit of a drag but you get used to it. Not having your car/lounge/clothes covered in dog hair is the advantage.

Will this be an inside dog? How much daily exercise were you planning on giving it. If it rains here for 3 days, the poodles can cope without a run. I'd imagine most Brittanys would be climbing the walls.

When my friend walks her Brittanys with my dogs in the forest, my dogs are rarely out of sight. Her dogs are rarely seen. :eek: They range a lot further. That could also be owner related though.

I rate the poodle as the "easier" of the two from a training perspective but choose your breeder carefully. If you're not a tough nut who's prepared to be pretty firm with a dog, go the poodle.

ETA: My poodles enjoy the water but they aren't "into" it in the way my friend's gundogs are.. or my Whippet is for that matter.

I'd not write off a GSP or a Vizsla until you to to some shows and see the dogs. Visit some agility trials too!

Edited by poodlefan

Ok, this is all great info.

Poodle - more people focussed

Brittany - harder to gain focus, but great trainability once there

I would imagine given their natures in general, many gundogs would tendency towards being scatterbrains during adolescence... although I'm sure that's not a gundog exclusive thing. :eek:

Dog will be an inside dog. As a general rule exercise around 1 hour - 2 hour a day, mixture of walking and offlead exercise. Being able to miss a day or two without going bonkers is a plus though.

I think my first port of call is a dog show/ agility trials . I need to meet some of these dogs and talk to their owners.

Thanks again!

Ok, this is all great info.

Poodle - more people focussed

Brittany - harder to gain focus, but great trainability once there

I would imagine given their natures in general, many gundogs would tendency towards being scatterbrains during adolescence... although I'm sure that's not a gundog exclusive thing. :eek:

Dog will be an inside dog. As a general rule exercise around 1 hour - 2 hour a day, mixture of walking and offlead exercise. Being able to miss a day or two without going bonkers is a plus though.

I think my first port of call is a dog show/ agility trials . I need to meet some of these dogs and talk to their owners.

Thanks again!

Where are you?

Wide Bay area, QLD.

My best bet would be some trips down to Brisbane I think...

Durack is the place for shows.

It would be worth ringing show/trial secretaries a few days before your trip to check the breeds you want to see are entered. Plenty of GSPs up you way!

Edited by poodlefan

it was one breed for me all the way, but my decision for my third dog was between two breeds...

first breed was the irish water spaniel... i have always loved them...

Second was the weimaraner - always had them, very devoted and energetic (something i was looking for)

I went with the weimaraner for a number of reasons...

I wanted a break from grooming for the showring after grooming a setter for the ring for the last 4 years... the IWS had a coat that needed special attention and a whole new set of skills for the showring that i had to learn... weims essentially wash and wear.

I wanted something into retrieving... both good for this.

I wanted a dog with a strong recall (because setters are useless :eek:) and knew weims are great for this - wasn't sure about IWS.

Was interested in other disciplines (obedience, agility) - both good for this

Ultimately, what made my decision was that i had more experience and knowledge with weimaraners... hence my decision.

Good luck with your choice!!

Thanks guys for your stories. :rofl: I guess fate/circumstance does tend to play a part a lot of the time.

I would be happy to wait for a pup (of either breed) if I felt a particularly breeder and dogs were exactly what I wanted.

I always imagined researching, making a decision, researching and then move towards getting to know some breeders. Do you think it comes across as indecisive if you tell potential breeders that you are still considering two breeds?

In my case the breeds are Miniature Poodle and Brittany.

I have met a handful of Minis, but quite a while ago and not whilst considering potential dog breeds. My cousin used to own one also and I remember her intelligence and active nature stood out to me at the time.

I have not met a Brittany, but I plan to be visiting some shows around the place soon, to see both breeds. I have a rather long time frame for my next dog, so it will be a while before I actually bring a dog into the family.

Monah, Spinone = :)

Edited to change a word.

I had a miniature poodle then Brittanys, have done training with both. A Miniature Poodle matures a lot younger than a Brittany and will normally achieve more at a young age, both intelligent dogs capable of dog sports - Brittanys do so much better if they think they are controlling the situation to some degree so learn clicker training as it works so well.

Both love their owners of course, Brittanys I find are much more social and outgoing to people that are not their owners