Dog Bed Recommendation

I'm looking for a firm, rectangular shaped indoor bed for my boy who has recently been diagnosed with hip dysplasia. He seems to prefer to sleep stretched out on his tummy like a frog - so we are after a bed that he can do this on. His current bed is oval shaped for 'curling up in' - which doesn't seem comfortable for him anymore. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking to buy something online as they are a bit more reasonable in price compared with the average pet supplies shop. I thought maybe a Snooza 'D1000' - i saw it on a website and it looks like it would be nice and firm, but of course it's hard to tell without feeling it!

BTW, he already has a trampoline bed with a soft cover that he seems to like for outside.

I have a dog with HD too and he likes his foam filled hessian sack mat bed that I buy very cheaply from Pet stock ,so I replace it regularly when it starts to get yuck or flat. I have been looking at the memory foam beds they sell at my dog indoor swim centre and I am thinking of getting those. I think he prefers the mat style bed as he can stretch right out and does not have to step up onto it.

ETA I think the hessian mat will be too thin this winter, it is only about an inch thick whereas the memory foam bed looks to be about 3 inches thick.

Edited by mokhahouse

Sorry to hear about your boy's HD.

I recently bought a new bed for Orbit online, for a really good price. I bought it cause it uses memory foam which I really like. His other bed is a mattress that I bought from Clark Rubber with a cover on it that I made. This new one that I bought him is firmer than the other one - I can lay on it and can't feel the floor underneath where as I can with his mattress one. Only the top layer is memory foam, but its still so comfortable!!

LINKY - this is the same one as I bought, but I managed to score a 100x70cm one. Not a bad price either!!

eta: I know of people who can't stand the D1000 and say they are really noisey?

Edited by stormie

I got some enduro foam specially cut to make indoor dog bedding, 3ft by 3ft and 4 inches thick. I had covers made in heavy duty suede with velcro on one end. My older dog stretches out on her bed to sleep and after nearly 18 months the foam shows no sign of compacting. The foam was $40 and cover $20. In winter I put rugs on top for extra warmth. She prefers this bed to her outside trampoline bed.

Sorry to hear about your boy's HD.

I recently bought a new bed for Orbit online, for a really good price. I bought it cause it uses memory foam which I really like. His other bed is a mattress that I bought from Clark Rubber with a cover on it that I made. This new one that I bought him is firmer than the other one - I can lay on it and can't feel the floor underneath where as I can with his mattress one. Only the top layer is memory foam, but its still so comfortable!!

LINKY - this is the same one as I bought, but I managed to score a 100x70cm one. Not a bad price either!!

eta: I know of people who can't stand the D1000 and say they are really noisey?

The 100 x 70cm bed is going to be restocked, I have another one on order. I bought one for my greyhound, and she and my whippets love it, although in the colder weather the whippies will want a more snuggly bed, but for the warmer weather this one is fine. The cover is nice on this one too.

Trish

edited to say I got the quote thingys wrong....... :hug:

Edited by Trishm

Hi,

I bought a "Smooth Soft Canine Cooler Bed"...it is made in USA...yep something that is NOT made in China!

I have had it for 4 months now, it took Penny and Mac a while to lie on it, (I had to put a towel on it at first), it is foam or something similar and you fill with water so it is like a waterbed, it felt strange to them I think, that's why they would only go on it when the towel was on it but the towel gradually got crinkled to one end and they are fine lying on it now.

They love lying on it and it is quite a lot cooler than the floor or their hammock beds, and better for Penny's little elbows.

I have just tried to buy another one as they both won't fit on it these hot days but the price is a bit steep. I originally bought it (I think) from CrazySales.com.au I think I paid around $45, they don't have any more, but they have this one which I bought yesterday... 'Medium Sized Pets Cooler/Warmer Bed Pad for Dogs/Cats' O blast, I went to check to give you the item number and they are obviously out of stock, I googled it tho' and someone on ebay has 2 of them for $23.95, it is a large size so that's not too badly priced. It appears that one side is for summer and you turn it over for winter.

hope this helps. :love:

Wow dog water beds - what will they think of next! Thanks for the advice everyone. I think if I asked him, my dog would request a queen size inner spring matteress with a lovely duck down doona, seeing as he's decided my bed is better than anything else!