Pug In A Pet Shop.

slk

I just came back from the shops. Needed to pick up some fish food so popped into the pet shop. First glassed pen is a pure bred (so the sign said) pug puppy ;)

Why would a 'breeder' pass a purebred onto pets paradise to sell?

I asked how much - $2000. No papers come with him (other than vaccinations records).

They had a 'purebred' cav as well - he was nudging $2000 as well.

If you have $2000 to spend on a puppy - why would you get it from a pet shop - surely you would find a reputable breeder and go that way. Surely.

These dogs often come from puppy farms. The farmers buy purebred dogs and breed them till they drop. They keep puppies for themselves to breed as well. Otherwise, it may have come from a BYB. And why would they do it? $$$$$

Probably a puppy mill pup :D

I was in a local pet shop one day buying guinea pig food and saw a couple show up, calling themselves "breeders". They had two litters of Cocker Spaniel pups for the pet shop :D

If you have $2000 to spend on a puppy - why would you get it from a pet shop - surely you would find a reputable breeder and go that way. Surely.

Conveinience maybe? Some people don't know where else to go but the local pet shop. Also impulse and not wanting to wait. People decide they want a puppy and they want it now and pet shops offer that.

Very sad. :D

Who would spend $2000 at a pet shop?

a) The Stupid (exactly what are you buying health wise, temperament wise, breed wise...is it purebred?)

b) The Ignorant (who don't understand what they are supporting by buying in a pet shop)

c) The Impulse shopper (who will later return it to a pound)

d) The Emotional shopper

e) AND THE PERSON THAT IS ALL OF THE ABOVE (they normally buy a couple!)

a) The Stupid (exactly what are you buying health wise, temperament wise, breed wise...is it purebred?)

b) The Ignorant (who don't understand what they are supporting by buying in a pet shop)

d) The Emotional shopper

Personally I would change b) to read:

b) the uninformed (rather than ignorant)

there are well meaning people out there who just assume you want a pet- you go to pet store. when i was 15 and was allowed a cat we purchased her from a pet store- that was just the place you went.

i dont think ignorant is the right word- just uninformed :D just my opinion, of course

No BertandSally is right we have to add another category but Kirty you raise another good category the "I don't care" so here is the revised list.

d) The Emotional shopper

e) The Uninformed (they don't know about researching how to buy a well bred dog)

f) The Cruel (they know how the pups end up there & they don't care - they want it now)

g) AND THE PERSON THAT IS ALL OF THE ABOVE (they normally buy a couple!)

Edited by acb123

If it's the same Pets Hell then there were at least four pug puppies there a few weeks ago.

Yes for $2,000 I could purchase a pug boy that was a purebred and came from a breeder but they were not allowed to tell me who. He also would be fantastic for breeding, when he was older, I was told by staff members who owned their own pugs and pug x's.

Please do not purchase anything from these shops that insist on selling puppies and kittens. Just by walking into the store and making a purchase of food, toys etc you are supporting them.

If it's the same Pets Hell then there were at least four pug puppies there a few weeks ago.

Yes for $2,000 I could purchase a pug boy that was a purebred and came from a breeder but they were not allowed to tell me who. He also would be fantastic for breeding, when he was older, I was told by staff members who owned their own pugs and pug x's.

Please do not purchase anything from these shops that insist on selling puppies and kittens. Just by walking into the store and making a purchase of food, toys etc you are supporting them.

completely agree :D

kirty- i didnt mean all buyers were uninformed, i meant there was a gapping hole in the categories of people that buy from pet shops. yes, a lot know what goes on but dont care and want the puppy now, some have no idea about puppy farms, and some simpply dont know where else to buy a pet from

life takes all sorts :D

i wish i could stand out the front of places like this with my bert and say to people looking at the pugs in the pet shop:

'look, isnt he lovely? he's a healthy boy, i have a full pedigree papers for him, he has been health tested and was reared in a loving family environment, and i got him for almost half the price of the dogs in here'

i then would hand them a paper with places to find purebred dogs :D

d) The Emotional shopper

Just because a person spends big bucks on a dog from a pet shop does not mean they are all (or any of) the above things.

I believe alot people are just uniformed or uneducated about where these poor little mutts come from.

I was from the uninformed group. Until last year (I'm 48) I had no idea whats so ever what went on behind the doors of pet shops. I honestly thought people had bred their dogs and handed them over making it easier for anyone to get a breed they wanted. I also thought it was lovely to see the puppies in the window and ooh and ahh over them, wishing I could afford to buy one myself....

But now I am informed and I do know whats happening in these stores and what they do. I would never buy a puppy from them, or anything else. I'd rather buy online or go to Kmarts for my pet supplies.

So yes there are a lot of those that are still uninformed....

I was from the uninformed group. Until last year (I'm 48) I had no idea whats so ever what went on behind the doors of pet shops. I honestly thought people had bred their dogs and handed them over making it easier for anyone to get a breed they wanted. I also thought it was lovely to see the puppies in the window and ooh and ahh over them, wishing I could afford to buy one myself....

But now I am informed and I do know whats happening in these stores and what they do. I would never buy a puppy from them, or anything else. I'd rather buy online or go to Kmarts for my pet supplies.

So yes there are a lot of those that are still uninformed....

I totally agree with you. I too was uninformed, fell in love with a pup in the window and pay the price in heart ache as well as dollars. I love Mokha so dearly and I am doing everything I can to give him a good life. While I had wanted a pup for a long time you could say he was bought on impulse that day, I had not gone to the shops to buy a dog. I object when people say that because I bought a dog on impulse that I will dump him at the pound. Nothing could be further from the truth.I will never buy another pup from a store but I have had to learn the hard way. Education is the key.

sorry slightly OT but when I walk past PP and they have a puppy out of the fish tank and a prospective owner is cooing over it, I am very tempted to say something. Not something derogatory but just something like why dont you buy a dog from a registered breeder, do you really think this is a good environment to raise a puppy in?

Do other people say something in these situations??

Edited by ncarter

I have. One lady was interested in a Cav pup for $1500. It didn't even look like a Cav to be honest! Anyway, when the store assistant walked off to check something, I moseyed on over and told her where the puppy came from, why she should choose a reg'd breeder and where to find one - oh and also that you could probably buy a pedigree puppy for less than that. I am pleased to report that the woman left the store empty handed. :thumbsup:

I have. One lady was interested in a Cav pup for $1500. It didn't even look like a Cav to be honest! Anyway, when the store assistant walked off to check something, I moseyed on over and told her where the puppy came from, why she should choose a reg'd breeder and where to find one - oh and also that you could probably buy a pedigree puppy for less than that. I am pleased to report that the woman left the store empty handed. :rofl:
:thumbsup: but would you say that in front of the store assistant?

My intention is not to sledge the "uninformed" group as you can't act on something you don't know.

With the Sales Asst thing I would say quite comfortably in front of them "wow my friend bought one from a breeder much cheaper!" with that really wide eyed shocked look of no ill intent (but with intent :thumbsup:)