Building A Hydrobath

Beagly

G'day

Currently hunting for a used Hydrobath, but the cost is out of my budget :)

I was wondering if anyone had made one themselves? :o

Any thoughts, suggestions or plans would be greatly appreciated. :thanks:

NB. I know the pump used is a Davey which I hope to get second hand.

Thanks in advance :o

G'day

Currently hunting for a used Hydrobath, but the cost is out of my budget :rofl:

I was wondering if anyone had made one themselves? :scold:

Any thoughts, suggestions or plans would be greatly appreciated. :laugh:

NB. I know the pump used is a Davey which I hope to get second hand.

Thanks in advance :rofl:

Friends of mine had a simple and effective homemade hydro.

They had an old bath tub they mounted on a frame (or now days you can buy a booster bath), a pump. Some hoses and a couple of big plastic tubs. One for wash water and one for rinse. If they wanted to recylce the wash water they put the tub under the drain, if not they moved it to the side. When it was time to rinse they would swap the hose into the other container that was always away from the drain so there was fresh rinse water.

It was not an expensive setup but it did the job and still does over 10 years down the track.

Colin has a simple plan on his website,shoot him an email if you need any further info http://clipperbladesharpening.webs.com/dogspanailcutting.htm

G'day

Thankyou for your replies :laugh: , what I am after is something that ends up more like an actual hydrobath and that will not end up with me having a bath as well as my hound.

Any thoughts / plans / ideas :rofl: on what I can build the sides of a DIY Hydrobath out of?

Colin has a simple plan on his website,shoot him an email if you need any further info http://clipperbladesharpening.webs.com/dogspanailcutting.htm

G'day

Thankyou for your replies :laugh: , what I am after is something that ends up more like an actual hydrobath and that will not end up with me having a bath as well as my hound.

Any thoughts / plans / ideas :rofl: on what I can build the sides of a DIY Hydrobath out of?

Another friend when she was starting out and couldn't afford a hydro purchased some great big plastic tub - not sure where from. It was easily big enough for her BC to be bathed in and the sides deep like on a normal hydro. She took it to somewhere that could cut plastic and had them cut a section out of 1 end so the dog could be placed in without having to lift over the top and also had a hole cut in for a drain. In her case she was just running hoses from an attachment in the laundry rather than a pump.

I have no idea where she got the tub from but I think it was an industrial plastics type place.

G'day

Thankyou for your replies :rofl: , what I am after is something that ends up more like an actual hydrobath and that will not end up with me having a bath as well as my hound.

Another friend when she was starting out and couldn't afford a hydro purchased some great big plastic tub - not sure where from. It was easily big enough for her BC to be bathed in and the sides deep like on a normal hydro. She took it to somewhere that could cut plastic and had them cut a section out of 1 end so the dog could be placed in without having to lift over the top and also had a hole cut in for a drain. In her case she was just running hoses from an attachment in the laundry rather than a pump.

I have no idea where she got the tub from but I think it was an industrial plastics type place.

G'day

This is the sort of thing I am hunting for :rofl: Anyone know where I could locate something like this? :laugh:

NB. I intend on hooking up a pump to my system.

Thanks for all of the replies :scold:

:rofl:

G'day

This is the sort of thing I am hunting for :rofl: Anyone know where I could locate something like this? :laugh:

NB. I intend on hooking up a pump to my system.

Thanks for all of the replies :scold:

:rofl:

Something like this is what she had: http://www.spacepac.com.au/Brochures/Troll...Tubs_1pg_np.pdf

And I see no reason why it couldn't be rigged up on a stand so that water containers and pump could be underneath it similar to what I said the other friends had done.

I just remembered something I saw at a pet expo... Fidos do what is basically a hydrobath "shell" It is at the bottome of this page and you could easily hook own pump up to it. http://www.mavlab.com.au/fidos_hybath.html It was a couple of years ago so no idea now what the price was.

eta: just found this place with them http://www.itsadogshop.com/prod1666.htm

Edited by piper

Something like this is what she had: http://www.spacepac.com.au/Brochures/Troll...Tubs_1pg_np.pdf

I just remembered something I saw at a pet expo... Fidos do what is basically a hydrobath "shell" It is at the bottome of this page and you could easily hook own pump up to it. http://www.mavlab.com.au/fidos_hybath.html It was a couple of years ago so no idea now what the price was.

The Fido's dog baths are something like $365 plus postage :scold:

I will visit Spacepac and check out the suitability of the product and their prices, they may also have seconds :rofl:

Any other ideas?

:laugh:

I will visit Spacepac and check out the suitability of the product and their prices, they may also have seconds :rofl:

Any other ideas?

Nope - I am sure there are other places with tubs like that. I just did a quick google of large plastic tubs and that was what I found.

Good luck, it can be done. Finding the tub will probably be the hardest part.

Any other ideas?

If you mean the FIDO dog tub, they're not $365. They are $275 New from the manufacturer. You can pick them up from time to time on ebay

second hand for around $100 odd. I have one that i put on ebay, but it didn't sell.

If you mean the FIDO dog tub, they're not $365. They are $275 New from the manufacturer. You can pick them up from time to time on ebay

second hand for around $100 odd. I have one that i put on ebay, but it didn't sell.

I am just wondering why you would be selling yours? Is it uncomfortable to use?

From my point of view if there is no problem with using this type of tub I would just add a pump/drain/water tubs etc and then this would become my version of a hydrobath.

PS. I saw one in Victoria on Ebay, it went for only $41, but when I enquired about getting a courier to collect it, the cost was ridiculous.

just found this one on ebay,maybe keep an eye on it as it looks like it needs a bit of work so if you're handy might be ok http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Dog-Bath_W0QQitemZ1...=item2c52b538a2

Just noticed you're in Wollongong :D I have a twin tank hydrobath here if you need to have a look at any workings

Thankyou very much, I may just take you up on your very kind offer.

:eek:

From my point of view if there is no problem with using this type of tub I would just add a pump/drain/water tubs etc and then this would become my version of a hydrobath.

PS. I saw one in Victoria on Ebay, it went for only $41, but when I enquired about getting a courier to collect it, the cost was ridiculous.

I just don't use it. Really, the tub does nothing that washing the dogs standing on the grass can't do.

I've been looking at buying a hydrobath for months now, just haven't yet. I was ready to buy from the Barf shop, but got annoyed with

the B/S they told me over the phone.

I just don't use it. Really, the tub does nothing that washing the dogs standing on the grass can't do.

I've been looking at buying a hydrobath for months now, just haven't yet. I was ready to buy from the Barf shop, but got annoyed with

Sister was thinking of getting a hydrobath for her two rotties, but she thought the cost was ridiculous, and would have had to wheel it around. In the end, she got the plumber to put a hot/cold water tap on the outside of her house (outside the laundry in her case), and attached a short length of hose with a trigger shower head. It's fabulous b/c you get clean water all the time. She just ties the dogs to the house or the table outside, wets them down, shampoos them up, then rinses off.

In the end, she got the plumber to put a hot/cold water tap on the outside of her house (outside the laundry in her case), and attached a short length of hose with a trigger shower head. It's fabulous b/c you get clean water all the time. She just ties the dogs to the house or the table outside, wets them down, shampoos them up, then rinses off.

Great idea... I'm going to get a plumber out for a quote I'm getting too old to continue lifting my BC in and out of the bath :mad

I couldn't lean over the bath to wash our dogs any more - problems with my back and too much leaning over.

We built an outside 'kitchen' kind of set-up. Got a big laundry tub from Ikea (would fit a beagle sized dog but not much bigger than that) and it's all plumbed to hot and cold water etc. Just a bunch of ikea kitchen cupboards, a bit wooden bench on top with a really big laundry tub built into it (the biggest one I could track down - probably around 1m wide).

We also have our washing machine built in under the cupboard, and power connected to the end to run an iron, hairdryer, whatever.

It's not a cheap option, but multi-purpose as it provides a nice big bench area for grooming and bathing and fluffing etc. one day, then wipe it down and the next day you're using it to serve up a BBQ, then wipe it down and the next day you're using it to fold laundry. We love it. Works for me because our dogs are not heavy. I can lift them, just couldn't handle all the bending and reaching I was doing over our bath before we did this. Now I wash them at a comfortable height. Do a much better job now too because I can take my time and no pain.

I love the idea about the hot and cold taps on the outside of the house for a larger dog, too. You could easily build a low, non-slip platform just up off the ground to get your dog up to a comfortable working height for you, and direct the water to your garden beds (and away from the house). No lifting, plenty of room, and cheaper than a hydrobath. Genius!

When I have my girls shed/grooming room (A bit away yet, but I have the plans in my head!) I am going to have a bath, lifted up on a frame and hot/cold water with a hose and a shower head attatched.

That way the height is correct, I have hot and cold running water, the used water can be directed to the trees and it costs a lot less than a hydro, not to mention my back won't kill me anymore.

Until then I will was them in the bath and my back will hurt! :dummy:

I love the idea about the hot and cold taps on the outside of the house for a larger dog, too. You could easily build a low, non-slip platform just up off the ground to get your dog up to a comfortable working height for you, and direct the water to your garden beds (and away from the house). No lifting, plenty of room, and cheaper than a hydrobath. Genius!

If it were mine, I'd probably have a couple of pallets covered with something allowing drainage for the dog to stand on b/c my back isn't the best. Sister's back is perfectly fine, so she doesn't have any problems, and the setup is so good that it only takes her a few minutes to wash the dogs anyway. Hers is out on her decked back verandah - the water goes thru the deck, and, b/c the house is built on a bit of a slope, probably ends up on the lawn anyway. She has an old table outside the laundry door that she puts the shampoo/towels etc on. That table also gets used at BBQ time for salads etc.

Nice to have plenty of room for that stuff. My dog gets washed in the shower (we have a hand held with a mixer tap), but the shower is a little small, so she has to bend in the middle a bit :) . She's OK tho - suprised the heck out of me last time; she just walked straight in as if to say, "Oh hell, let's get it over with."

Sister was thinking of getting a hydrobath for her two rotties, but she thought the cost was ridiculous, and would have had to wheel it around. In the end, she got the plumber to put a hot/cold water tap on the outside of her house (outside the laundry in her case), and attached a short length of hose with a trigger shower head. It's fabulous b/c you get clean water all the time. She just ties the dogs to the house or the table outside, wets them down, shampoos them up, then rinses off.

I've done similar here but the plumber advised it is not technically legal so I would have to remove that small section of plumbing if putting the house on the market in the future. You also have to have real taps as flick mixers are not permitted to be fitted to external fixtures. Works a treat though and the run off waters that section of the lawn.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day

Project update

I have a Davey Pump on the way (Purchased on Ebay)

I have obtained a Large Commercial Tub - Thanks piper for finding a company that supplied these :drink:

Specs are

#RT450 Rectangle Tub 450L

Length - 1320(rim) / 1180(base)

Width - 720(rim) /  580(base)

Height - 625

It was a second that is a lot more affordable than the $279+ that I was first quoted. :)

If anyone wants one please send me a pm and I will pass on the actual manufacturers details. :laugh:

The next component that I am after is the showerhead for the bath.

Wandering around Bunnings has not proven all that useful in locating an appropriate device, So....

Does anyone know which one is used in real Hydrobaths? Brand - model?

Or a similar item that I can purchase and where from?

After this I have the showerhead I will start sourcing the appropriate pipes and fittings.

Thanks again for everyone's assistance :rofl:

Edited by Beagly