Apple Cidar Vinegar And Flea Control

Daisy

My dogs rarely get fleas, at the moment they do have one or two and are scratching. I would like to try and avoid using spot ons, I don't like putting chemicals on my dogs unless absolutely necessary. Is anyone using apple cidar vinegar? Do you use it in the dogs water? Or spray it on them? If you spray it on their coat, do you dilute it? How much water do you add?

I would like to try it. If this doesn't help then I will have to got to a commercial flea treatment.

I've just been wondering about this myself.

My 4 yo has been raw fed since she was about 1 yo and she gets 2 spoons (next one up from a tsp) of ACV in her dinner every night. Not had a flea on her since she was a youngster, and I'd know because she scratches like crazy. She has regular contact with my parents dog who often has a flea problem (sandy soil and dogs on either side who aren't treated :eek: ).

My youngster has the occasional flea on her, have only had her on a small dose of ACV but have just put her on a full raw diet with the same amount of ACV as my older dog. I'm hoping it will fix the issue as I don't want to use anything chemical if I can avoid it.

I'd like to put it in their water but they have access to their clam pool all through summer. At least if it's in their dinner I know they're getting it and I know how much they are getting. :D

Edited by Jess.

Oh, thirded. T has fleas for the first time ever and the idea of putting spot-on on him worries me, as he always gets really mopey and raw on his neck. :rofl:

Jess, how do you get them to eat it with their dinner? My dogs turn up their nose at it, so if there's a way of spraying it on and killing the fleas, that would be amazing.

It gets mixed in with a good cupful of vegie/fruit mush, a dollop of natural yoghurt and a spoon of linseed oil plus whatever protein (fish/egg/roo mince or offal) they are getting that night - if any.

Doesn't seem to worry them, they lick their bowls clean every night. Neither are what I would call "fussy" about food though either. :rofl:

ACV is great for fleas, just have to make sure your dog doesn't have any scratches etc on them or it stings. I put it on as a rinse after a bath. gives them a great shine, they almost shimmer.

Get a brand with "the mother" it is said to be better

Some suggestions:

Use apple cider vinegar as a pet bath to treat fleas and skin irritation. Wash your pet first with a mild shampoo and then wash again with equal parts apple cider vinegar and water. Rinse off when finished with cool water and repeat this bath as needed to fleas and skin allergies.

Mix equal parts apple cider and vinegar with fresh water and put in a plastic spray bottle. Spray your furry friend daily to treat fleas, heal hot spots, stop itching, and increase the health and luster of your pet's coat.

Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to your dog's water or food bowl daily to treat a variety of ailments and benefit the overall health of your dog. Do the same for your cat, but reduce the dosage to a teaspoon. It is believed that apple cider vinegar maintains healthy urinary and digestive health, treats allergies, and as an added benefit, even keeps dog urine from killing your lawn.

Use apple cider vinegar as a spot treatment for tear stains, skin rashes, calluses, and dry flaking skin on your pet. Apple cider vinegar may even ease joint pain in arthritic dogs, and counteract common toxins and poisons that your pets may be inadvertently exposed to like pesticides and cleaning products.

Mine get ACV in their drinking water. Couldnt tell you if it helps fleas or not as they get commercial flea formula as well. I have to as we live in a tick area, and im afraid i am not taking that much of a risk . I use it mainly for everything else. Mine use to have trouble with their skin due to being wet all the time from jumping in the dam, but not one problem since using ACV