Greeting People At The Door...

bridgie_cat

Hiya!

Has anyone got a good thing they have their dog do when visitors or anyone comes through the door? And how to teach it :)

I am wanting to teach them something to give positive direction to stop the barking and running game that is the go now. Trying to stop the barking alone has been unsuccessful thus far... They tend to bark and get excited by car noise in the drive and by people coming in doors etc...

Thanks!

Bridget

This is pretty basic.

It depends how quick you want to open the door and how much warning you get and how persistant you're going to be.

I put my dog on lead and make her sit and ideally "stay" and I make the person at the door, "stay" too. They can't come in until Frosty has greeted them outside - this is to prevent accidents when Frosty gets too excited. Certain people just make her burst with excitment so to speak and I don't want that on the front carpet.

So I yell through the door "Just a minute" so they know I know they're here. And then I sort the dog out. And if the dog gets up before I invite her, I shut the door again. And I repeat that until she calms down a bit. And then I take her outside to greet the guest. Except when it's the gas man. In which case I tell him "I've got her", then I shut the front door and the back door. We don't like the gas meter reader for some reason. Doesn't help that he seems scared of dogs, and Frosty knows it, and he eyed off the neighbour's beer on her back porch and she told me.

It may help to have treats but I've never bothered with treats. Getting to greet and sniff a new person is enough reward. The more the dog isn't doing what you want, the more you make it wait. If it's totally out of hand, I have been known to take the dog out the back and shut her out there and then deal with the door but this isn't great - well it's ok if it's an ancient and frail relly but not so good if it's the gas meter man or the lawn mowing man.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

• 2 weeks later...

Teach your dogs to go to a given spot or mat and lay down and stay there until released, gradually add in someone comming to the door and the dog going to its mat. Reward correct behaviour the insentive for going to the mat has to be greater than the insentive to bark at the newcommer. A MannersMinder ( training tool which can dispense treats remotely using a hand control) is great for teaching this and can be positioned next to the dogs mat, full of treats ready to be dispensed when someone comes to the door if the remote is kept near the door or hanging on the doorknob. alternatively keep the dogs mat somewhere where you can toss the dog a treat for being on the matt without the dog rising to chase a wayward treat.

Allow the dog to give an initial bark and then direct it to the mat, once on the mat the dog will stop barking to get the treat and then tell it quiet and dispense another treat. If it's anything like my dog it will be too busy staring at the MM willing it to give up more treats to bother any more about the visitor. Innitially continue to give intermitant treats while the dog stays on the mat, once guests are seated if the dog is more settled then relaese it. Remember that you won't get perfect results straight away, consistancy is the key.

I cheated and taught them to go get their teddy bears when someone comes to the front door. :rasberry: They can't bark or jump up while they have a teddy in their mouth and I reckon we can cope with getting bashed in the knees with a soft toy :provoke: Its now a conditioned response and they instantly go hunting for their teddy's if someone drives up or comes to the door.

Hiya!

Has anyone got a good thing they have their dog do when visitors or anyone comes through the door? And how to teach it ;)

I am wanting to teach them something to give positive direction to stop the barking and running game that is the go now. Trying to stop the barking alone has been unsuccessful thus far... They tend to bark and get excited by car noise in the drive and by people coming in doors etc...

Thanks!

Bridget

I have always named toys and behaviours I like so they already understand what Teddy means. They also understand 'go find' which is early foundation training for obedience so it was just natuaral to say "Where's your Teddy? "Go find Teddy" everytime someone came. It became self rewarding and I will alway praise in a really genuine way...'good boy...you got your Teddy.....what a lucky boy etc etc'

How did you actually teach that bedazzledx2?

• 4 weeks later...