Dol Pointscore

Bullbreedlover

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You cant please all of the people all the time... :mad

no matter what or how it is run, you will never suit everybody in every state unfortunately.

I dont know why its just not left as is, its worked well so far, if it aint broke dont fix it.

we have a short show season here, and I dont go to everyshow around here either, and we dont have shows with entries

over 750, even Bathurst Royal doesnt get those numbers anymore, :p

and I maybe show in Sydney 3 times a year?? if that even,

so I think it should just be treated as a bit of fun, a group of us here were talking about having a little bit of fun and trying to out do each other just on our local show circuit, :mad and the winner gets lunch at the pub !!! :cry:

Edited by Libertybrook

I disagree with the post re runnerup BOB.

Its a case of always the bridesmaid never the bride.

In our breed with 1 dog constantly wining the only chance soemone else has is RUBOB.

This result is constanlty a different dog. So many other dogs can come second which is still a good result as often they may have won their class in group and class in show or been knocked out by BIS/RUBIS.

EFT.

My point is...Why call it a BEST OF BREED Competition if a dog who only ever gets RUBOB can win the competition simply by doing more shows than a consistent BOB winner but only ever getting RUBOB.

That is not right.

Another idea would be to base the BOB pointscore on Challenge points.

That way you know that the dogs were actually beaten and not absent. Assuming that it wouldnt be any harder to calculate as you have the points on the certificate and they can also be verified with the secretary if needed.

The only downside is this would take out the RUBOB being allowed points for the comp.

I do like the idea of capping the number of shows, especially for the rising star comp.

Edited by Aspyre

My point is...Why call it a BEST OF BREED Competition if a dog who only ever gets RUBOB can win the competition simply by doing more shows than a consistent BOB winner but only ever getting RUBOB.

yes and no :) if a dog consistently wins RUBOB then he/she could quite easily be the most consistent winner in the

breed and therefore deserve to win.

example ... a dog gets RUBOB at 3 shows to 3 different dogs ... the RUBOB winner is the most consistent winner.

a "cap" on the number of shows in my opinion is the only change that is needed.

What if Dog A gets BOB every single time it is shown

but Dog B who can never beat Dog A for BOB but often gets RUBOB

does just a few more shows throughout the year and ends up winning the BOB pointscore?

How does that make it an honest BEST OF BREED Competition???

Its not called..."The Most Consistent Competition" OR "The Most Shows Attended Comp". although in reality thats what it is.

Its a Best Of Breed Competition.

Edited for replacing uppercase with lower case letters as I can see some of you have taken my comments the wrong way :cry:

I know its not serious but many people think that it is :eek:

Edited by Keesha

I compete against myself. My dogs compete against each other. I completely disregard the other dogs in the competition and compare my guys.

It's nice to look within the NT at the moment and have dogs at the top of Rising Star etc but realistically we are two shows in and by the end of the 12 months I won't even care about that and will see that x dog of mine tallied up y points and I'm very proud of the work I have done with their owners etc.

Some people take this Pointscore a little too seriously at times and forget that we do this hobby because we enjoy it, I love to win as much as the next person but it's not the be all end all for me enjoying my hobby. I am happy that there is even a Pointscore set up for us to compete in.

Get a bit of perspective of what you want out of this hobby and perhaps re-evaluate why you enter in the first place.

I compete against myself. My dogs compete against each other. I completely disregard the other dogs in the competition and compare my guys.

It's nice to look within the NT at the moment and have dogs at the top of Rising Star etc but realistically we are two shows in and by the end of the 12 months I won't even care about that and will see that x dog of mine tallied up y points and I'm very proud of the work I have done with their owners etc.

Some people take this Pointscore a little too seriously at times and forget that we do this hobby because we enjoy it, I love to win as much as the next person but it's not the be all end all for me enjoying my hobby. I am happy that there is even a Pointscore set up for us to compete in.

Get a bit of perspective of what you want out of this hobby and perhaps re-evaluate why you enter in the first place.

I agree with Megz - if you're entering the pointscore to win (and at all costs) then you've taken a fun hobby to a totally different level.

:eek: to what Aziah and Megz have said.

If you dont like it, dont enter it... I entered last year for fun, and faired quite well.. yes the competitive streak did come out towards the end, but at the end of the day, I am taking the best dog in my eyes home :cry:

Edited by CruiseNRoxy

My mum and I have talked about this before with other Showie friends. Pointscores can bring the worst out of people. This win or die mentality takes over without them realising.

I understand many are suggesting improvements to make it fairer for as many as possible etc, but there is only so many times that Troy needs to here the suggestions. This topic has been done to death and Troy has said that there may be changes coming along in line with comments made. Let's let sleeping dogs lie for a while and wait for the changes to come into effect and give them a year or two to play out.

After stating early in this thread that I would never enter this again (and haven't for a few years) I have just listed my results and will see how it pans out due to lots of pressure and teasing from 'mates'. I will not change my showing patterns at all and will continue to mainly compete every 2nd weekend or when I am interested. I have only done 2 weekends of showing since the 1st of January (ADI & Bega) and despite others attending everything that is going, I'm in very good shape points wise - the BIS helped! :thumbsup: Will be very interesting to see where I end up at the end of the year.

Cheers

Gaela