Wyndham Owners Face Fines For Aggressive Dogs In Back Yards

shel

Wyndham owners face fines for aggressive dogs in back yards

PROPOSED new laws to control pet dogs behind their owners’ fences have been unleashed by Wyndham Council.

It wants to make it an offence for dogs on their owners’ property to act aggressively towards people or animals walking past, including striking, biting or jumping at boundary fences, or continually barking along them.

The council, in Melbourne’s outer-west, also wants to ban dogs from being unsupervised in front yards, as part of a review of its local laws. Refusal could result in fines.

It is required to give residents until the end of the month to comment on the proposed changes. There are more than 18,400 registered dogs in Wyndham.

Council acting chief executive Bernie Cronin said the proposed laws were in response to 68 complaints from residents about aggressive dogs running at fences last year, and another six this year.

A council report states while the public is generally not at risk from dogs acting aggressively behind fences, “it feels unsafe to many people”.

The council could not say if the proposed laws were a first in Victoria.

Before prosecution, it plans to issue owners of offending dogs with an Animal Management Plan, including requiring them to keep the dog in a certain part of a property.

As well as the plan, the dogs will be declared menacing, and their owners made to put up signs at property entrances warning people of a menacing dog.

Lost Dogs’ Home managing director Dr Graeme Smith said the proposed laws were “madness” and “over the top”.

“There’re a lot more important things the council could be doing such as introducing compulsory desexing or enforcing their cat curfew,” he said.

Werribee Obedience Dog Club president Frank Valastro said dogs naturally protected their territory, including responding to noises near it.

He agreed with the council that dogs should not be left unsupervised in front yards, for reasons including that it could be difficult for visitors and people checking meters.

http://wyndham-leader.whereilive.com.au/ne...n-barking-dogs/

18,400 registered dogs in the shire

68 complaints about dogs behind fences

What's the problem?

I thought your property was your own? I thought dogs were deterrents to the criminal?

What's happened to common sense?

18,400 registered dogs in the shire

68 complaints about dogs behind fences

What's the problem?

I thought your property was your own? I thought dogs were deterrents to the criminal?

What's happened to common sense?

It flew out the window with sense and sensibility :eek:

I posted this in general never thought to post it in here nice how the article states we only have so long to object but on the council website there is nothing about it :eek:

Wyndham owners face fines for aggressive dogs in back yards

PROPOSED new laws to

A council report states while the public is generally not at risk from dogs acting aggressively behind fences, "it feels unsafe to many people". . . .

Before prosecution, it plans to issue owners of offending dogs with an Animal Management Plan, including requiring them to keep the dog in a certain part of a property.

Misleading headline. Should be clear that it is a proposed law and up for comment. Good on the council for advertising and leaving room for comment. If you don't like it and you live there, by all means, comment.

In my 60+ years, I have walked by a few front yards and felt like a scene from Jurassic Park when the velociraptors hit the fence and you get a gut feeling that the containment system might fail. I don't think that's a good vibe for a neighbourhood, and see why a council might want such dogs constrained to the back yard. Hell. Many councils don't allow a decent dog fence along the street and thus by default require back yard confinement. This system at least leaves it open for people with friendly or unscary dogs to use the front yard as exercise area.

Edited by sandgrubber