Buscopan

Chocolate

If a pup or adult for that matter has an upset tummy there is a reason for it.

Hiding it with buscopan and the like is not going to help.

Is there constipation or diarrhea? Slippery Elm is best thing for upset tummy’s.

Get it from the health food shop, it can be added regularly to food or add water to make a paste and syringe it, add some honey to make it more palatable.

How can you tell if your pups have a stomach ache? What are the symptoms?Drugs like Buscopan are not to be used lightly- and they may take some pain away ,without helping treat the cause of the problem :o

You may want to get information from your vet, who will have seen your pup/s previously, and will advise you on any suitable home treatment. They will also be able to tell you correct dosages for anything they suggest. :eek:

If a pup or adult for that matter has an upset tummy there is a reason for it.

Hiding it with buscopan and the like is not going to help.

Is there constipation or diarrhea? Slippery Elm is best thing for upset tummy’s.

Get it from the health food shop, it can be added regularly to food or add water to make a paste and syringe it, add some honey to make it more palatable.

I don't want to hide anything. I've never used Buscopan but I was reading an old DOL thread that referred to breeders using it on young pups and I wondered what kind of dose you would give. I looked up Buscopan and it seems to be a natural plant extract so I thought I'd ask the breeders who use it or know about it. I don't actually have a pup or adult with constipation or diarrhea. I do keep slippery elm powder in the cupboard if I needed it but wondered if I should also keep Buscopan as well. From what I read about the Buscopan it doesn't hide anything but gives actual relief the way it works.

How can you tell if your pups have a stomach ache? What are the symptoms?Drugs like Buscopan are not to be used lightly- and they may take some pain away ,without helping treat the cause of the problem :o

You may want to get information from your vet, who will have seen your pup/s previously, and will advise you on any suitable home treatment. They will also be able to tell you correct dosages for anything they suggest. :smashpc:

From reading about Buscopan I didn't think it was a drug but a plant extract that helps with muscle spasms. I've never used it and wouldn't unless my research discovers it to be worthwhile for the medicine cabinet.

Puppy stomach ache sypmtoms are persistent crying, unable to get comfortable to sleep and visuals of any type of contracting at the rear end. You can tell like a mum can tell with her baby it's second nature.

I was asking re: symptoms as I though a pup in your care actually HAD a problem :o

Buscopan will reieve cramp/spasm... however, it will not kill virus/bacteria. It will not dissolve gas bubbles. It will not alter the acid balance, and it will not stop food allergies.

That is what I meant by 'hiding' - yes, the pain may be gone, but the cause may still be present ...and getting worse without being noticed .

It is a drug.

Aspirin and atropine are both dangerous if used inncorrectly- both originated in plants.

Cyanide has plant origins, too! :smashpc:

Just because something is 'natural' doesn't mean it is safe.

I had a 13 week old puppy years ago that had Parvo, after the virus was killed, he still did not eat and was not well, vet gave me Buscopan to give him for a week, and he got his appetite back and was back to normal once he regained his strength after 12 days of no food when had parvo. Just took the pain away and so got him eating again.

Edited by skyehaven

Buscopan is made from a plant. I know because I live on it :-)

No side effects unless you are lactose intolerant as that is an active ingredient in it.

It smooths out the spasms in the bowel. Its not for the stomach at all.

I dont know if its safe for dogs or puppies but I would imagine that it should only be used if advised by the vet.

Edited by Keesha