Optimum Puppy Formula (dry)

I just bought a bag of this and am slowly transitioning Dora (4mo) to it from her SuperCoat Puppy Formula.

Does anyone have any feedback on it? Cana nyone suggest a dry food their dogs love? I dont mind how much I pay, as long as she eats it... right now she doenst like any brand of kibble :laugh:

PS. Dora hates the Pedigree dry food... any of your dogs hate it too?

Hey there,

I have all my dogs on Advance, I believe Advance and Optimum is owned my the same company, correct me if I am wrong Doler's. :laugh:

3 of my dogs ADORE Advance dry kibble... But they are food piggggggs. The other one gets Advance every morning, and eco pet in the afternoon cause she doesn't do the whole keeping weight on thing. :laugh: ;)

I love the way my dogs (all of them) look on Advance, and act (lots of energy like the breed should have). :laugh:

I once fed Supercoat, to one of my dogs, and she looked terrible, and got itchy skin... :D Back to Advance we went. :rofl:

Basically, whatever your dog looks/act well on is a good food for it... Some dogs do well on Pedigree, some on Advance. Each to their own..

There is some stuff, yeast I think, at pet food shops, you add a cup or so to their food and in a few weeks they will eat anything, apparently. I'm going to give it a try next time my fussy dog doesn't want to eat. :p

Edited by Pointees

Hey there,

I have all my dogs on Advance, I believe Advance and Optimum is owned my the same company, correct me if I am wrong Doler's. :laugh:

3 of my dogs ADORE Advance dry kibble... But they are food piggggggs. The other one gets Advance every morning, and eco pet in the afternoon cause she doesn't do the whole keeping weight on thing. :laugh: ;)

I love the way my dogs (all of them) look on Advance, and act (lots of energy like the breed should have). :laugh:

I once fed Supercoat, to one of my dogs, and she looked terrible, and got itchy skin... :D Back to Advance we went. :rofl:

Basically, whatever your dog looks/act well on is a good food for it... Some dogs do well on Pedigree, some on Advance. Each to their own..

There is some stuff, yeast I think, at pet food shops, you add a cup or so to their food and in a few weeks they will eat anything, apparently. I'm going to give it a try next time my fussy dog doesn't want to eat. :p

Yeast? Could you explain a little further please?

I went to a pet food shop last night, to get more Eco Pet and talk to two of the people that work there and the manager. :laugh: Long story short, I like to make friends. :laugh:

And they explained this yeast thing to me, but I don't remember it all.. :rofl::laugh:

Have you tried mixing different things into your pups food?

Like yoghurt, egg, etc.

My April gets her dry food every morning.. Every second morning she gets egg, oil and milk mixed into it, every other day she gets yoghurt and oil mixed into it... The oil is for weight gain though, so you may not need/want to add it.

She seems to like it, and she gets her plain eco pet at night.

I used to feed eagle pack puppy for a while and then all of a sudden my dogs wouldn't touch it ;)

So now they're on advance dry food and love it. I've never tried pedigree, however have tried a small bag of super coat once and they got the runs :laugh:

I would suggest getting further advice about yeast. Perhaps it was something else? I'm struggling to understand how yeast would assist with encouraging a dog to eat - in excess it would be harmful, not helpful.

To the OP, there are a number of highly palatable, nutritious dry foods that would be worth exploring. Many companies provide samples to taste test - Royal Canin, Artemis, Pro Pac and Nutrience spring to mind.

Might be worth checking out some of the threads in this forum as there is a lot of good information about feeding, not only dry, but raw, supplements etc.

Sags

Edited by Sagittarian

Over the years I have fed many and various premium dry dogfoods and I have determined what brands suit my dogs/puppies best. I have tried them on Eagle Pack, Nutro, Pedigree, Optimum, Supercoat, Hills, Eukanuba, Evo, etc. - yep pretty much all brands. I went back to feeding Advance dry to several recent litters I have come to the conclusion that it is probably the best overall.

It is readily available when buying it, its puppy rehydratable & its next stage of puppy growth has been very well accepted by all my babies and the poos are usually well formed and are not terribly smelly.

Having said this, I have always fed Dr. Billinghursts frozen Chicken BARF as well and when the little guys are old enough I also introduce Scottys Naturoll roll and cut down on the dry dogfood. It is the amount of salt in dry food that I am not keen on and how much water the dog has to drink to combat this.

It is worth noting that if you are trying to train your pup/dog not to soil or wee overnight feeding dry dogfood can be a real pain. Because of the amount of water they want/need to drink after eating it, they have a lot of wee to get rid of plus the poos. An all natural food doesn't cause them to want to drink as much and the poos are much more acceptable.

I'm another fan of Advance here - although if I run out for any reason I am quite happy to drop down to the shops and pick up some Optimum :laugh:

Sasha is very fussy about dry food, but enjoys (and tolerates) Advance. She also has an unpredictable tummy, and Advance has pretty much stopped all those problems.

I would suggest getting further advice about yeast. Perhaps it was something else? I'm struggling to understand how yeast would assist with encouraging a dog to eat - in excess it would be harmful, not helpful.

To the OP, there are a number of highly palatable, nutritious dry foods that would be worth exploring. Many companies provide samples to taste test - Royal Canin, Artemis, Pro Pac and Nutrience spring to mind.

Might be worth checking out some of the threads in this forum as there is a lot of good information about feeding, not only dry, but raw, supplements etc.

Sags

I'll be going back to get more information when I can, and buy the yeast if it sounds good...

Argh... 10 hours at work today. :laugh:

Do you mean Brewer's Yeast? I'd still suggest you do a lot of research to see if you really are benefitting your dogs by adding it. Many dry foods already contain enough of it and over supplementing won't necessarily give you positive results.

Sags

I just bought a bag of this and am slowly transitioning Dora (4mo) to it from her SuperCoat Puppy Formula.

Do a half and half mix of both dry food, do that for a couple of days then but add more of the new dry food. Slowly the old dry food will get phased out..

Do you mean Brewer's Yeast? I'd still suggest you do a lot of research to see if you really are benefitting your dogs by adding it. Many dry foods already contain enough of it and over supplementing won't necessarily give you positive results.

Sags

I'll be learning all I can first.

Apparently, its meant to get a dog to eat after a few weeks, and that is what I need... :laugh:

It can be frustrating, can't it at times?

Sometimes a change of food can get the interest back. I've found adding a little omega oil or flaxseed oil makes a big difference. Some people have great success with a little sprinkling of Ziwipeak - and as it is so well made, a little goes a long way.

Sags

I'm going to buck the trend. I feed Optimum to my 9 Stafford puppies and am absolutely THRILLED with their condition. Output is minimal. Two fairly small, nicely shaped stools per day from each puppy of a very good consistency and no real associated odour.

I wouldn't feed Supercoat of ANY kind to any of my dogs under any circumstances any more. I used to be a diehard Supercoat supporter but it really lost quality a few years back and I've not bothered with it since.

I quite like the one my little dog was on Purina One (can be purchased from Safeway)s but because I purchase Advance weight management I don't need to purchase Purina One weight management too. :laugh:

That could be an option for you also?

Does anyone have any feedback on it? Cana nyone suggest a dry food their dogs love? I dont mind how much I pay, as long as she eats it... right now she doenst like any brand of kibble :laugh:

PS. Dora hates the Pedigree dry food... any of your dogs hate it too?

Kyzer loves Pedigree when he gets to eat it at my brother's house, it's like McDonalds for him :laugh: Junk food.

He's quite fussy, never been a big eater. I've fed him heaps of brands of kibble and he had good condition on all of them but never scoffed any, prefers it with some mackerel (available in tins from Woolies for cheap) or yoghurt mixed through. He's never been a fan of Sardines, not sure why.

He did like the Advance Turkey and Rice though. I've got him on Pro Plan selects at the moment but they stopped making it :( Next up is Nutro.

I feed him chicken wings and frames too, he loves those.