Heart Dog?

HugUrPup

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For me it means having an affinity with a dog. I have had a number of dogs in the past, and of course I loved them all. But my current dog, Jindi is such a darling, so soft natured and a snuggler, that I consider her my 'heart dog', even though our other dog, Henschke has been with us 15 months longer than Jindi.

Edited by poochmad

Yep MissMolly.. like when they look into your eyes and you feel as much pride and love for them as you do when looking at your precious skin baby. I never ever thought it possible to love a dog almost as much (or as much) as my children :cry: until recently.

Naww FranCQ that's too sweet.

Edited by puggerup

For me it's a dog that I have an amazing bond with. Something that goes beyond what a pet owner normally has with a dog and feels a bit more like a human relationship. My T bone is mine - he's absolutely nuts but I love that dog to bits and have a bond with him that I don't have with the others. He is so responsive to me and talks and sings like an idiot. I think part of our bond comes from the fact that he was SUCH a challenging puppy and we did a lot of obedience training and I had him on my own for the first 18 months without other dogs.

I love my other dogs so much it hurts but if I had to give up two and keep one there would be no decision to be made. Not only can I not live without him, he can't seem to live without me.

Yep MissMolly.. like when they look into your eyes and you feel as much pride and love for them as you do when looking at your precious skin baby. I never ever thought it possible to love a dog almost as much (or as much) as my children :cry: until recently.

Naww FranCQ that's too sweet.

It was sweet until I had to leave him with my ex a couple of weeks ago, now it's sad. But I am super grateful for a "good" breakup with no hard feelings so I still get to go get my BT fix :mad

"Heart Dog" is the equivalent of "Soul Mate". For one dog to be your "heart dog" doesn't mean you don't love any of your others any less. It just means that there was a very very special potentially one in a million 'connection'.

Kal (my avatar girl - RIP and bless her cotton socks) is and always will be my "heart dog". I love my current boy, Mandela, to bits, but it is because of Kal that I am where I am today and also why I feel I understand Mandela better than I otherwise could have - even though they are two very different temperamented dogs. I would be just as devastated to lose Mandela as I was Kal and when Mandela's 'time' comes (I hope that is a long way away) I will miss him as much as I still miss Kal. But Kal is my soul dog ..... without intending to be melodramatic about it, it is almost as though her 'essence' runs like veins through my heart - even 3.5 years on she is part of me, not just a dog whom I loved dearly.

Edited by Erny

This is what I posted in the show forum this morning about my heart dog.

Early yesterday morning Hooley suffered a stroke. I was able to hold him in my arms all day and tell him how much he means to me and how much of a special dog he has been for all this time. Then yesterday at 5pm he was given his wings.

Hooley was my life, my heart, my soul, my everything. I don't know how I am going to function without him.

Play safe with your sister and mum at the rainbow bridge till we meet again. I love you totally Hooley.

Sandy

Hooley was my heart dog and I always said I didn't think he could live without me and I know I couldn't live without him. I never EVER thought the day would come...but it did....yesterday....and now I don't know how to carry on without him and I can't understand why he went without me.

Hooley, my heart dog.

post-1067-1265595738_thumb.jpg

I don't know how to carry on without him and I can't understand why he went without me.

I'm really sorry, Ceilidh. I understand and know your pain. You will carry on though, even if you don't feel that you can at the moment. And the reason you'll carry on is because of Hooley. Because he wouldn't want otherwise. And because he would want you to. He didn't come into your life so that when his earth life ended you would be unable to carry on. He came into your life to teach you things, as you also taught him. And with the empathy and understanding he has helped to teach you, so that you can apply that learning for good reasons.

My condolences Ceilidh. RIP Hooley :cry:

When I joined DOL and first heard of the phrase "heart dog" Ronin my Golden retriever jumped straight into my mind. I have had lots of dogs and they have each taught me some really great lessons but there was something so special about Ronin.

I can't put into words what he DID to become my heart dog, he just is. I have a big professional black and white photo of him on the wall when you walk into my main living area. He is still the center of our household and I look at that photo at least 10 times a day and my heart swells. I tear up everytime I think of him. He is buried up the back of our property and I go and talk to him when I feel I need to. I would have to say he was my best friend, better than any human friend I could ask for.

I don't know if I will ever have another dog that makes me feel the same way, but I really hope so. :cry:

Ceilidh, I understand how you feel as I was there just a year ago. I lost my heart dog and thought I couldn't ever live without her. Like yours, she had a major stroke and all I could do was lay on the floor with her all night (she was on a well padded bed) with her in my arms. Next morning I had to take her for the final vet trip.

She was no world beater but she taught me the meaning of absolute trust. She was a very timid girl but ended up competing in obedience, agility, gundog working test (at which she was very, very good) and retrieving. Anything I asked her to do she would do without question (the exception being that she wouldn't jump into a river or dam from the bank - she had to wade in and that's why she retired from retrieving very early in her career).

The two GSPs I still have are absolutely loved and adored by me but they will never be as far into my heart as she was.

I'm so sorry to read about Hooley, Ceilidh, my thoughts are with you. I cry even thinking about that day coming with Dakota, and she's only 2. Take care of yourself. *hugs*

When I was a little girl, some people my parents knew gave them a pup from an unwanted litter (as far as I know). I was about 4 or 5 at the time, it was close to my birthday, and they passed it off as a birthday present, to get rid of it I guess :cry:, anyway Cindy was a Kelpie (maybe x?) from a working farm. She was loving, but Mum and Dad did nothing to train her/improve her behaviour, or even contain her properly, and eventually a Border Collie/ Heeler X got to her, and we had pups. Mum chose one puppy to keep, I named her Jelly, and they gave Cindy away :mad

We moved to the suburbs and Jelly came with us, she was always an outside dog due to my Dad's upbringing, sooo sweet, great with us kids, friendly to all, although shy of men (except those she knew) due to an unfortunate experience with a dog-sitter. She grew out of this fear at about 12 years old, and lived until the ripe old age of 16, when it was my decision as a 21 year old to give her her wings, as Dad was too scared to make the decision that would break my heart.

Jelly helped get me through my parent's separation, teenage break-ups, and even when I was in trouble with Mum and Dad, I went to Jelly for comfort. Now, I thought there was no way I could ever love a dog as much as I loved my Jelly, but then my OH and I got our very own puppy when we finally moved in to our own home together, and I was IN LOVE! Dakota is definitely my 'heart' dog, I've never felt so close to an animal before her, and even when my OH (who loves her dearly) has been asked what would happen with Dakota if we ever split, he has said she has to stay with me, he said I NEED her more than he does. I thought that was sweet that he knows that, in a weird way..lol.

It does make me feel guilty, because I'm sure I probably even told Jelly I would never love another dog like I loved her, but I know that's silly. I think for me the big difference was having an inside dog, you are just naturally more close with them (unless of course you're always outside with them, which some people are, but we weren't).

On a side note: Has anyone else found they can have instant connections, so to speak, with other people's dogs, or even strays they have met in the street? I love being around all sorts of dogs, and enjoy it whether they're paying attention to me or not, but sometimes there is something special, that almost makes you sad to say good-bye, and I miss them. Maybe I'm just too sentimental..

Ceilidh - I'm sorry for your lost :cry:

No dog has touched me the way Charlie has. Even from the first time I met him, I knew he was mine and we belong together. There is no doubt in anyone's mine, who Charlie belongs too. He is, no doubt, the love of my life.

Edited by charleswentworth

Crazy Daisy: i'm sorry your heart dog is gone, I just had to say what you said about looking at his picture, your heart swelling, that's how I feel when I look at my girl, perfect description, my heart swells with love, like I couldn't possibly love her more, sometimes I actually tear up. *runs away out of sheer embarassment*