What's Happened To All The Bull Terriers In Perth?

Guest Willow

I was pondering this today.....in the past 5 years, through my line of work (vet nurse, dog trainer, daycare attendant) I have only come across 4 pure bred Bull terrier puppies here in Perth.....not many adults around either.

Had a lovely little bully pup in PPS this morning, owner got her from a QLD breeder, and none of the other owners in class knew what breed she was, they are that uncommon!!!

I was most excited to have her there!!!

Is it just me, or has anyone else in this part of the world noticed how few there are around????

At the MPW a few years back, OH & I decided to go "Bully spotting" (they are his heart breed) and it wasn't till right at the end we saw ONE....we both pointed at once and went "BULLY!!!!" and the poor owner jumped a mile & went "what??? WHAT???!!!" so we had to explain our mission!!! :thumbsup: He saw the funny side :champagne:

I think Bullies are a breed that aren't seen out and about too much but there are plenty of them around.

I'm in QLD and I know that when looking for a Bully about 5 years ago, there were none to be found. Over the years I have noticed the numbers have increased esp for byb Bullies. The people here that I know with them tend to keep them away from the public eye.

The people here that I know with them tend to keep them away from the public eye.

That's a shame...the more they are seen out & about the less of a novelty they would be....and the more people see lovely well behaved ones, the better the reputation.

He is also frequently mistaken for an American Pitbull too.

Good grief!!! Because they are SO identical!!! :champagne:

I love how in puppies, the noses are so pointy!!! :thumbsup:

The people here that I know with them tend to keep them away from the public eye.

That's a shame...the more they are seen out & about the less of a novelty they would be....and the more people see lovely well behaved ones, the better the reputation.

I agree with that. Fear of having them stolen is an issue too. I get alot of positive comments when out but do hear regulary

that people find them intimidating looking at them and generally feel more at ease once they have had some interaction with them.

I don't have a problem with people not liking the breed, each to their own I say, but as the owner of one of these dogs I make sure people always walk away with a positive meeting and hopefully a better opinion of the breed than the one the media and bad owners give off.

i agree bully, since having mason i have noticed people either rush over to see him, ones that know what he is, or give him a wide berth or say rude comments :cheer:

couple of kids last week asked me if he was a pit.

"he's a solid boy" i got this morning off someone :champagne:

i am wary of being followed home, some workmen were asking about him the other day, i told them he was a bit deaf, bit blind and scared of other dogs, just in case :thumbsup: ( which is all true).

we have another one round here, dark brindle, but do seem to get them in blacktown pound regularly , which is where mase is from.

post-3531-1266137481_thumb.jpg

Edited by juice

Bull Terriers are such a fascinating, beautiful breed.

I have also noted that numbers seem to be low. When I first started to love Bull Terriers as a young kid in the 80's, when I used to see them around quite a bit (and my uncle had one).

But no definetly there are not a common breed. In contrast to New Zealand were I noticed they seemed to be about the MOST common breed, especially in and around Mt Roskill, Auckland. Not sure if that is an indicator of the rest of the country but they sure were frequent there.

Awww Juice I love the pic of Mase. :)

Bulldust I was drooling over the gorgeous doggies on your website yesterday. :rofl:

Lo Pan I'm from the South Island in NZ and haven't lived there for 12 years but when I did Bullies were everywhere. It seemed that everyone you knew owned either a Bully or an APBT, majority were pure dogs too.

We had a bull terrier living next door to us up until recently. I've known quite a number of bully's in the past and they've all been lovely. The one next door though, killed a Jack Russell and was terrorising the neighbourhood (the neighbour was a little stupid in allowing him to patrol the fenceline and he was undesexed) so he saw the whole corner as his area...unfortunately he started going after people as well as dogs and the final straw came when he chased a lady with a pram. The ranger came, went into the yard, got bitten and the dog was declared dangerous. For a while she was extremely dilligent in watching him, then one day I noticed he was out and went to her to let her know and she told me that she had opened the gate to give him some exercise!! :o Oh my goodness! This dog's aggression was progressively getting worse (I guess because there was no reaction) and he was a bomb waiting to go off.

In the end, the marriage split up and the husband took the dog. Phew.

This example above is extreme but just goes to show what can happen when ignorant people have these dogs. As a teenager I came across a lovely tri bully and he was soooo sweet and cuddly! Just as I imagine them to all be, unless they are in the wrong hands.

Any breed in the wrong hands can be dangerous. Luckily Bullies with the issues that the neighbouring dog had, Poochmad, are not as common as people believe. They aren't a dog for everyone but in capable hands they are a fantastic pet and so much fun to have around.

OH's family had a female Bully when he was born.....they have photos of her dressed in footy jumpers, & wrapped in toilet paper by the kids....she wa sincredibly placid & would happily sit there while they dressed her up. It cemented them as "the perfect dog" in OH's mind.

one of my all time favourite breeds, would love to own one one day :laugh: in my area i have only seen 1 that i think was a purebred (i was driving past as it was being walked, only got a glimpse of it, it was solid red/brown) and one cross breed the head was a clear giveaway that it was part bullterrier :D

still havnt had the pleasure of meeting one up close :o

Edited by addy001

I think Bull terriers find me annoying....I have this thing where I want to run my hand up & down their faces bacuse of the shape of it....they don't like that!! :laugh: ....surrupticiously did it to the baby puppy yesterday in class :o

It cemented them as "the perfect dog" in OH's mind

Thats me.

I dont know why I have never owned one, but I will one day.

Like they say your brain is like a sponge when your a kid, they also say your fundumental personality is set by the age of 4. Well I have been around Bull Terriers since I was very small, and my uncles dog was a hero I loved him, he was my friend, he'd sit next to me, id feed him bbq, we would swim together, play cars together, and the image of his loveable egg head is part of my personality :laugh: