Dog Harnesses

Snout Girl

Bert has just had throat surgery and the surgeon advised us that he should never wear a collar again to prevent any further complications.

we currently have a harness for him which we use for car travel but it is really inappropriate for walking/running around as it has the cumbersome seatbelt loop on it that cant be detached and flaps around the poor boy as he runs around.

i am looking at the EZYdog harnesses and wondered if anyone has used them and if they are a good buy?

ideally we want something not too chunky that he can wear in the car and walking but has a detachable clip for car travel.

we just want him to be comfortable and not be inhibited by the harness.

any thoughts/ideas welcome :champagne:

I use Web Master harnesses from Ruff Wear. I guess you might consider them bulky as there's a fair bit of material in them, but they don't restrict movement at all, are virtually impossible to get out of without someone undoing the clips, and they have this handle on the back that I don't know what I ever did without.

I've always steered clear of the Ezydog harnesses because the chest pad seems really harsh on the edges to me. For both mine before they grew into the Ruff Wear harnesses I had them in walking harnesses that have just one clip that does up near the shoulderblades and had a double D-ring so you don't have to rely on the clip. I had a Rogz one for Erik, but the shoulder straps were quite low and did seem to restrict his movement a little. So I got a Kramar one, I think. It was all right, if I remember correctly.

all our dogs wear harnesses when travelling of course and we seldom take them off for short stops like a run on the beach...even our weeny dog is fine in the harness with the big strap...

i dont think it bothers him at all

i prefer that one...the thinner harness straps are harder to get on i reckon and dont lie as flat

We use a Black dog harness for our poodle. He weighs about 6.5 kilos. The harness has a seatbelt clip that you leave on the seatbelt and it clips onto two rings on the harness on the back of the dog. You clip the lead to the same rings for walking. The harness doesn't restrict our boy at all - he can and has played really fast running games with another dog in the harness. I think I got it from vetnpetdirect from memory.

How big is your dog? I also have a dog now wearing a harness on veterinary advice.

Hi poodlefan

Bert is a pug, he weighs around 10kg but is tallish for a pug (as people always point out :) )

I would recommend the Puppia harnesses then. They are the Y style that doesn't inhibit movement.

I got mine from Two Small Puppies (a DOLers store). My boy wears the very cool camo one like this

Ruffwear Webmaster here too :(

Not the strongest for car travel (not safety tested and has plastic clips, but then again many car harnesses have these too...) but it's a fantastic harness and the most adjustable one I've ever seen so you can get it to fit your dog perfectly.

The handle is great too and you would be able to easily lift a 10kg Pug with it - Well I have lifted a 40kg Ridgie by the handle :rofl:

They are expensive but well worth it IMO :)

I had an EzyDog harness but to be honest I didn't really like it on my dog. He is deep chested and it wasn't a good fit for him plus I found it would slide around a lot. But a Pug is a completely different shape so it may be better on Bert :D

ETA, The Puppia harnesses that PF mentioned are lovely for smaller dogs :rofl: I tend to forget about non Ridgie sized products :rofl:

Edited by SecretKei

I have a Puppia Harness for Rommi.

I got it from Two Small Puppies as well :o

It fits her really well. I was wondering how it would fit due to the Whippet shape being a bit different to the norm, but it fits extremely well. You can also get a clip on attatchment for the car. Not care safety tested but Mine works well.

How big is your dog? I also have a dog now wearing a harness on veterinary advice.

Hi poodlefan

Bert is a pug, he weighs around 10kg but is tallish for a pug (as people always point out :o )

I would recommend the Puppia harnesses then. They are the Y style that doesn't inhibit movement.

I got mine from Two Small Puppies (a DOLers store). My boy wears the very cool camo one like this

Thanks Poodlefan- do you use yours as a car harness as well? If so, how does it work for you?

Hi poodlefan

Bert is a pug, he weighs around 10kg but is tallish for a pug (as people always point out :o )

Thanks Poodlefan- do you use yours as a car harness as well? If so, how does it work for you?

No, I don't. As it has a large spot for clips on at the shoulder point it should work fine.

I am on the Two Puppies website but I cant seem to find the clip on attachment for the car to go with it?

Anyone know where to look as I am probably going blind? :laugh:

I like the look of the harness, looks very comfortable and durable

Car lead here

Top left hand coner of this page. Under leads

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

I am on the Two Puppies website but I cant seem to find the clip on attachment for the car to go with it?

Anyone know where to look as I am probably going blind? :o

I like the look of the harness, looks very comfortable and durable

Car lead here

Top left hand coner of this page. Under leads

thanks mate, you're a champ!

knew it had to be somewhere obvious but I think I am having a blonde day :laugh: