What Happened To My Space?

redangel

Ok....im getting unpopular in the com,puter quarter of my household. My computer has just advised me that I am all but out of space on my hard drive. :laugh: It used to be 3/4 full. So with raw ,tiff ,backup files, original files I realise that many pics are duplicate....so whats my next step? I guess an external harddrive. But do I keep all the copies or start culling? Do I need all the copies???Im a self diagnosed photo hoarder...looking for asensible solution..

YOur only spot where all photos are saved are the computer? Move to a hard drive or burn to DVD - never ever only have one copy of photos only stored on the computer for any length of time. I use to back up to CD, DVD and hard disk and then after several months (well 6 or more) computer version got deleted to make more space. Currently I'm way behind on the 'CD' though I think that just might be a second DVD as they no longer fit on one CD per day - when its all sorted the old ones will be deleted to clear space on the main computer

Do I keep the raw & jpeg? raw and tiff?

Just keep the Raw. You can always make a jpeg etc copy again: but you can't replace Raw once you've lost it and that's the one worth keeping. Cull all you can of the copies, but keep the originals. We need to do the same, too much duplication happening again. External drives are great - keep a 'word' document of what is on each of them, to save time looking through archives.