Sydney Tick Season

TYLER23

We live in Sydney's Northern Beaches and are currently using Frontline Plus on our 6 month old pup fortnightly. When is the tick season considered to be over and safe to switch to monthly doses of Frontline Plus?

We also give him Sentinel Spectrum monthly, is the combination of the two ok, or is there a better option?

We have just found a few fleas on our strictly inside only kitten who doesn't get any flea treatments... could he have picked them up from the dog despite the dog being on frontline plus and sentinel spectrum? I haven't seen any fleas on the dog.

Sorry I'm not going to be much help, but I just wanted to say you should check with your vet whether it's ok to use fortnightly frontline plus and sentinel spectrum together. Your vet will probably be able to advise you on the other things too.

Good luck.

Edited by Baby Dragon

Tick season will last until around the end of April so keep on using Frontline every 2 weeks until then.

I can understand that you are using Frontline for ticks & fleas but Sentinel also does for fleas, worms and heartworm. Does your vet know that you are using both products ?

For me I would use Frontline as you are at present time for fleas & ticks and give Heartgard monthly for Heartworm.

During winter you can give both once a month.

JMHO

There's no problem in using Frontline and Sentinel together. Sentinel doesn't kill adult fleas - it just effects development of the larvae etc, making them deformed and unable to hatch.

Most of our clients are on Sentinel and most of them report that they rarely have a flea problem, though over summer they occasionally need to use an additional product which will kill the adults, eg Frontline or Advantage/Advantix.

I wouldn't like to say there is an end to the tick season on the Northern Beaches. I believe on the Central Coast they can see paralysis ticks all year round, so it's just as possible for this to be the case on the Northern Beaches. Your vet should be able to tell you what the situation is like there for ticks though.

I wouldn't be changing what you are doing.

Edited by stormie

Reading through previous threads it seems the general consensus on this site is that Advantage is a better product than Frontline Plus... am i right in making this assumption? Does Andvantage cover ticks as well?

More than happy to switch brands if there is a better option... is it safe to use Advantage in conjunction with Sentinel Spectrum? Should i be using a different brand of wormer?

What combination of wormers and flea/tick treatments do others use in Northern Sydney?

Totally confused now... :(

Edited by TYLER23

Hi Tyler - Advantage doesn't cover ticks but Advantix does.

My too are on Advantix Fortnightly (has to be fortnightly to cover paralysis ticks) plus a monthly all-wormer (Interceptor) to cover worms.

I hardly ever see fleas and when I do they are already half-dead and barely moving.

Touch wood we have never had a tick on our dogs despite living in a bushy Sydney area.

You can't use Advantix if you have cats though - it is poisonous to cats.

Cheers

Edited by macka

If in a tick area always assume there will be ticks. My dog was on frontline plus and still got paralisis ticks and dispite immediate treatment from the vet we still lost her. Checking your dog a couple of times a day for ticks and using Proban are the only sure way of preventing ticks. I was so pleased to move out of a tick area as it is a constant worry, now its just the snakes on the river we live beside. :laugh:

If in a tick area always assume there will be ticks. My dog was on frontline plus and still got paralisis ticks and dispite immediate treatment from the vet we still lost her. Checking your dog a couple of times a day for ticks and using Proban are the only sure way of preventing ticks. I was so pleased to move out of a tick area as it is a constant worry, now its just the snakes on the river we live beside. :thumbsup:

I use advantix fornightly, and like you Kaye live on the river, so we have ticks and snakes, DBL WHAMMIE....I have bought tick collars but never used them, never been game...We do have a cat, and never had any dramas, but i always put it on them in the morning after a bath, and the cat never really mingles with them unless she tries to round up sheep with them, now thats a site

Edited by sandra64