Registered Breeder?

alpha bet

On the forum I keep hearing about registered breeders.

Some say registered with council, some with associations and some with business abn.

What is the actual criteria and does it differ State by State.

I've had a breeders prefix registered with the VCA since 1983 - so now I'm wondering if I meet the standard.

There is no official definition of a "registered breeder" - as in, the government isn't going to charge someone with fraud or anything - it depends on the person saying it.

On this forum though, 99.9% of people mean ANKC registered when they say registered breeder.

The word "registered" is correct to use when speaking of council or business registration but IMO it is used by many to pretend they are ANKC registered (which is the registration that matters to most people).

Edited by molasseslass

Alpha Bet, while we pay our dues to our state body, the state bodies are all part of the ANKC. So everyone who is a state member is technically a member of the ANKC.

I don't see why the clarification needs to be made on this forum but there's nothing stopping you doing it. :(

To many a common passer by.. "VCA Registrated" means as much as "Registered" breeder.

There are many out there who are new to the dogs and do not know about this forum, that do not know what "Registered" means.

If you say "registered pedigree" then it lights a small light bulb in some. But then even this is being muddied by some who own pedigree animals and breed from them in BYB situations. The dogs themselves are "Registered Pedigree" but the person is not.

I tihnk the base criteria are largely the same from state to state about being a registered breeder and what you have to do. The internal forms and procedures differ slightly. IE: Qld's able to register pups straight into the new owner's names, whereas other states it is registered to the breeder and then transfered.

But to be a member of your state CC body is membership by affiliation to the ANKC. (You will probably find a portion of your yearly memeberhip is actually affiliation fees to the ANKC)