K9 Natural Dog Food

Red Fox

Has anyone tried K9 Natural dog food or know much about it? http://www.k9natural.co.nz/

They have a freeze dried product which is basically re-hydratable BARF. It looks quite good and would be a fantastic food for travelling with dogs or to have on standby, I'm thinking about ordering some. :thumbsup:

They are a NZ based company and apparently we can now get it in Australia as of this month via here: www.gofetchinternational.com

I feed the frozen variety and find it excellent esp for my skin issue boy. It isn’t cheap but if you sign on as a breeder it works out ok, just over $100 for 20kgs. I have included it as part of my feeding for this current litter, makes up about 1/3 of their diet and they have done really well

No my skin boy is 100% K9 Natural, anything else and he has a break out. I have to pay freight on top of that so it works out at around $6kg. Not as cheap as some foods but it is an easy BARF

Also meant to add everyone I know who has tried it likes it. Only bad point is the price

I feed the frozen variety and find it excellent esp for my skin issue boy. It isn’t cheap but if you sign on as a breeder it works out ok, just over $100 for 20kgs. I have included it as part of my feeding for this current litter, makes up about 1/3 of their diet and they have done really well

Wow thats really cheap!! I just looked at the wholesale price and its a fair whack more than that! I've been given a RRP of $182 for 16kgs!

Edited by wagsalot

Thanks for the replies. Re-hydratable BARF! It seemed almost too good to be true!

Wags it would be fantastic if you decide to stock it :mad

I think I will buy a small bag to try it out. A question though for those that use it- For a dog that is already on a full raw diet would it be okay to swap him straight over to the re-hydratable or would you have to do the whole gradual swap??

It is pricey but would be so handy to have for weekends away and much easier than an esky full of raw lol. But that's providing I dont end up with a dog with an upset belly :(

Saw this at the Melbourne Pet Expo, apparently a 500g bag can make up to 2kg. You need to add water to the freeze dried mix to rehydrate it.

The treats can be fed as they are.

Not cheap but it does look good.

Yep, that's what I find so appealing. 500g back in the back of the car and bingo - 2 days of fresh food!

Cowanbree, wow that is reasonable. I might shoot them an e-mail now.

With your skin issue boy did you find any dry food okay? I've ruled out Nutro, Eukanuba, and Proplan. Can't afford Oriijen though.

Is Orijen still available in NZ?

I had great results with it for my last dane who had frequent colitis. What was not so good was the fact the cat food poisoned my cat but thankfully he was one of the lucky ones who survived.

I just started my dog on it and she loves it. So far so good. I bought it online from here. Only the lamb is available but there are other varieties in NZ. I hope the other varieties come here as my dog would love the venison. It does stink though!

I have fed my 2 border collies on this (the frozen variety) for about 4 years. They eat it exclusively, just have bones as well. They love it, and now puppy is on it too. I like the freeze dried stuff for taking away to shows but it is a lot more expensive than the frozen. Mine don't seem to notice the difference between the two. Frozen stuff comes in beef, chicken, lamb, venison and salmon. I've only tried the freeze dried lamb.

Cowanbree, wow that is reasonable. I might shoot them an e-mail now.

With your skin issue boy did you find any dry food okay? I've ruled out Nutro, Eukanuba, and Proplan. Can't afford Oriijen though.

I have a skin issue girl. She is good on Nutrience. It did have her on Nutro for a while without any problems, but not the Large Breed one as that has wheat in it, which is heating to the skin and sets her off.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a bag of this food and have a couple of questions. I can wait and send a question off to K9 Natural tomorrow...but I am an impatient girl.

On the pack, it says that it is freeze dried raw food. But, it smells like roast lamb. Nothing wrong with that - it actually smells like human food - but roast lamb is, well, roasted. Is that just a result of freeze drying the food? Seems odd.

Also, I found that I had to break up the little bullets for it to rehydrate. Otherwise, the bullets just sit in the water. Has anyone else experienced this?

On a positive note, it gets scoffed down in a matter of seconds. Tintin would usually take forever to get through his meals. I thought he just wasn't particularly interested in food. But maybe he wasn't interested in the food I was providing. Now I feel bad for feeding him something he didn't like :laugh:

I hope the K9 Natural is successful here and they bring out the other flavours and even the frozen food. I guess there may be importation problems with that though.

Edited for spelling :thumbsup:

Edited by mrmac

I just bought a bag of this food and have a couple of questions. I can wait and send a question off to K9 Natural tomorrow...but I am an impatient girl.

On the pack, it says that it is freeze dried raw food. But, it smells like roast lamb. Nothing wrong with that - it actually smells like human food - but roast lamb is, well, roasted. Is that just a result of freeze drying the food? Seems odd.

Also, I found that I had to break up the little bullets for it to rehydrate. Otherwise, the bullets just sit in the water. Has anyone else experienced this?

On a positive note, it gets scoffed down in a matter of seconds. Tintin would usually take forever to get through his meals. I thought he just wasn't particularly interested in food. But maybe he wasn't interested in the food I was providing. Now I feel bad for feeding him something he didn't like :happydance:

I hope the K9 Natural is successful here and they bring out the other flavours and even the frozen food. I guess there may be importation problems with that though.

Edited for spelling :dancingelephant:

Hi, I don't know the answer to your questions but I'm interested to know more about this product. How long does it take to rehydrate? Ta.