Copperhead Snake Release

snake catcher

I'm glad that there are videos out there of snakes, often I've seen snakes and have no idea what sort they are. This way we all know what is what.

What I actually saw in the video is, yes a snake that was awfully pissed off and yes displayed that but I think she wasn't getting to where she needed to, hence SC picking her up again, as soon as he released her near the reeds she went straight for them. As he explained he needed to make sure she was 100% healthy to let her go, that's all I saw.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I actually saw in the video is, yes a snake that was awfully pissed off and yes displayed that but I think she wasn't getting to where she needed to, hence SC picking her up again, as soon as he released her near the reeds she went straight for them. As he explained he needed to make sure she was 100% healthy to let her go, that's all I saw.

I do agree with you Halo, thats how i saw it too.

I found the video really good, snake relocation isnt something most people see everyday. The snake was very pretty too, loved her colours :)

Edited by dogz8it

Erny hang around snakes long enough you get to know them ... I can tell when bitchy-britches is going to have a go at my hand no worries about that! If it's tense, start backing away veeeeeeery slowly

I have a few pythons and they are usually good once they are out of their enclosure.

When you feed them in their enclosure they get "cage defensive", in that they will be looking for a feed when the door opens.

I always hook mine out before touching them with my hands and they now know the routine.

Once out they are all sweethearts, water pythons included.

They and olives are the smartest of the Australian pythons.

I think it really depends on the python. I feed mine in her cage and she's not cage defensive...or at least not yet. I probably open the cage up at least once a day or two, to clean, refill water, etc, so she knows that when the door is open, doesn't always mean she's being fed.

that wasnt me Bilbo :love: although I did leave the water python open and somehow she didnt go anywhere at all!

Call me crazy I hand feed my pythons. Got them used to feeding with tongs now I'm just lazy and dangle with my hand. Yup no hooking either, I reach in, gently touch them to make sure they're paying attention then pull them right out. Water python is a great girl too, she just lets you know she's REALLY hungry by hitting the glass with her mouth open wide if you get close :) open the door and she's all 'who ... me ... since you're here where's my noms' ;)

The only python I hook is my teeny weeny one but we think he's a mix of coastal carpet x psychopath :love: after almost 18 months you still cannot handle him and he has not grown at all ...

Same here! Mines pretty docile...even when she is aggro [i have yet to be bitten by her]

Snake catcher, are there any courses you can do to become a snake catcher?

Hi ravyk you said

I think it really depends on the python. I feed mine in her cage and she's not cage defensive...or at least not yet.

This is true, i was generalising a bit, but a good thing to remember is that, like dogs, snakes temperments can and sometimes do change after they hit certain ages.

Snake catcher, are there any courses you can do to become a snake catcher?

Nowadays there are a many places that do courses in snake relocation.

When the licencing came in (early to mid 80s) the dse asked me if i would like to teach people how to do it.

I declined because my methods were not suitable to be taught in my opinion.

Im a bit to hands on and I could never teach someone to do it like i do.

Spewing now, I could be raking in the moolah.

I dont like 'snake tongs' and have never used them.

Most places teach newbs to use them but they require a special touch that comes from experience.

They (tongs) break the fine ribs in the snakes and after release, the snake may live for a couple of weeks before succuming to septecemia caused by the infection.

Lots of people running around with 'tongs and a certificate' to catch has meant the death of many of our beautiful snakes.

Find someone that will teach you to relocate with out the use of these horrible back breakers.

The cost of the courses is usually about $300 to $500.

Cheers