Traffic Cones

APBT

yer need to be careful with car tires, they have metal in them which can damage the teeth, i think my girl is going to need some getting used to the traffic cone, haha its huge.

What about bike tyres, are they safe?

yer need to be careful with car tires, they have metal in them which can damage the teeth, i think my girl is going to need some getting used to the traffic cone, haha its huge.

That is what I was thinking maybe a motor bike tyre? I know they wear out to canvas, not sure if they have steel in them - OH would know but he is at work.

My horse used to play with a traffic cone, but then it got a bit slashed so I removed it so he couldn't bite chunks out.

This cone is about 10 years old now and has been through many dogs as puppies / adults as well as vistors and a number of litters.

Really? I guess they don't make them like they used to... They last about 6 months here. My only complaint is picking up all the little pieces before I mow.

lol, my dogs have had traffic cones all their lives, I used to go for kongs until I saw a friends dog nearly pass away from having a piece of kong stuck in its intestines which turned toxic/septic and they were lucky to still have a dog afterward! poor thing... I believe kongs are not recommended for dogs that rip toys apart (like mine) so I wouldnt ever get one again...

The only note of caution I'd add would be for folk who intend to do agility with their dogs.

Some clubs including mine use cones for marking numbers on courses - they might prove an irresistable attraction to a dog accustomed to playing with them. :laugh:

My older boy just loves traffic cones. The first night my brother took him to work with him he disappeared for about 30 minutes ... and came back dragging the biggest traffic cone I have ever seen. We never knew where he got it from but he wouldn't give it up for anything.

I remember walking him one night past some roadworks ... and having the road crew laughing at us - I turned back to see my boy trying to drag about 3 of them in his mouth. The guys gave him one which he proudly carried home.

We have about 8 of them at home over the last 7 or so years ... and have only had one destroyed ... thanks to the youngest brat.

Aww, that's sweet of the road crew! Totally different reaction from my girl. The first traffic cones we ever passed while out walking were very threatening and got a good talking to before we were able to move on. Thankfully Pepper's a bit more relaxed about them now.

You can purchase the super heavy dity traffic cones from various safety work outlets. Although I didn't get around to checking it out, there is one here in Mornington that sells them for around $70 I believe. They are big and tough. I was thinking of getting them to make walking poles, not for chew toys, didn't think of that.

Jag would break my chins with one of those if he had it as a toy. The way he whips his head around with toys in his mouth is a killer :rofl:

yes bike tires are fine, if you want something a bit stronger wheelbarrow tires are great, and the inner tubes can be used as a type of spring pole for the dogs aswell