Hmm, Ideas On Breed

Guest Tess32

I'm *vaguely* considering my next dog will *possibly* not be a Collie. Not sure yet, it's hard not to get one :eek:

Part of me is really keen to have another breed, so I'd like some suggestions in case I haven't thought of a good one.

What I like:

Generally long hair

Laid back inside

Able to live happy on 40-60 min walk a day

Low incidence of dog aggression

Soft temperament

Medium sized up to giant, no little dogs

Would be alone (with other dogs) during work hours.

I like Aussie Shepherds, but not sure how much exercise they need.

Also like Newfies but I am not very strong and I'm a bit iffy about handling a physically strong breed.

Any other ideas? It won't be for a while yet, and heck I might just end up with another Collie, but right now am considering.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to say aussie shep, I have only met a few but they were all like what you describe

Generally long hair except one that i saw was shorn like a sheep lol

Laid back inside don't know I have only ever met them in the park or on the beach.

Able to live happy on 40-60 min walk a day the ones Ive met did, maybe a big walk 2hrs at the weekend.

Low incidence of dog aggression none were agro that I met and they played very nicely with my dog

Soft temperament I dont know what that means, but the temperament was outgoing and friendly

Medium sized up to giant, no little dogs

Other than that, a Golden retriever is what I would nominate. Edited by GeckoTree

I never ever reccomend my own breed but I have to say what you have listed sounds like a SAmoyed would be perfect for you.

Beautiful big coat that sheds once or twice a year and it's not nearly as hard to keep clean as people might think.

My dogs are very laid back in the house provided they are walked, although its an active breed they are not hyper and have a knack for training if you can convince them you know best :thumbsup:

The walks you suggest are what my dogs get, as well as free play in the yard

If you have ended up with a Samoyed that is aggressive to other animals or people something is very very wrong!

Samoyeds should be able to get along with everyone. Mine all live together, I have an entire bitch and male and a desexed dog. They are able to happily live with other dogs that I have brought into the house without any aggression.

The love nothing more then being with their families curled up getting cuddles or playing with their doggie friends.

As for size, my boy stands at 22 inches and my girl is 19inches, the hair adds another 2 or 3 inches to them so they look pretty big, weight would be in the 20's.

Mine get by on a 30-40 minute walk a day, none if I can't be bothered, and a frisbee run once a week or so. They are very laid back inside, generally just lie around looking gorgeous and angling for pats and treats.

I think they would be a good match for collies, they seem to have similar temperaments. Maybe contact Kerry Webb (Ngalla kennels in Tas) she breeds both Aussies and Collies. She'd be able to give you a run down on how they get along together.

How many collies do you have now? You had 3, didn't you?

I am also considering a different breed for my next dog, after we sell our house and move, but I keep coming back to Aussies because they are just so easy to live with and so responsive. Other breeds I'm considering......Finnish Lapphund, Collies, Pointers (big departure there but I adore them), Tibetan Terrier.

I'll live through you and say Zoi LOL

Borzois? I've always wanted one but then I thought....what is it with me and that type of head :thumbsup:

My boy is quite happy to live on a 40-60 minute walk every day, some days he isn't walked at all for various reasons, and he copes fine. Can't comment on my girl because she isn't old enough to walk that far yet.

Mine are both happy to be quiet inside, unless one of the cats runs, then its game on.. Generally they are quite happy to laze around on the floor or on one of the lounges.

Neither of mine are aggressive in the slightest either, Ive never met an agressive one

ive had dramas with my boy eatings things he shouldnt, but other than that, love them to bits and dont think i'll ever be without one :thumbsup:

Mine get by on a 30-40 minute walk a day, none if I can't be bothered, and a frisbee run once a week or so. They are very laid back inside, generally just lie around looking gorgeous and angling for pats and treats.

I think they would be a good match for collies, they seem to have similar temperaments. Maybe contact Kerry Webb (Ngalla kennels in Tas) she breeds both Aussies and Collies. She'd be able to give you a run down on how they get along together.

I am also considering a different breed for my next dog, after we sell our house and move, but I keep coming back to Aussies because they are just so easy to live with and so responsive. Other breeds I'm considering......Finnish Lapphund, Collies, Pointers (big departure there but I adore them), Tibetan Terrier.

Yep I had three. I am really missing having more than one dog. I couldn't get one yet but is never too early to start getting into a breed.

I know Collies do suit me and I would ALWAYS have one (or three, heh) but the only other breed I've had is a Shepherd. I love the LOOK of Aussies, but would have to be careful I didn't get a high energy one.

I would do obedience, but not competition obedience.

Samoyeds - I do like them but all the ones I've met have been hyper?

No to Goldies (and labs) - too destructive as young adults for me :thumbsup:

How many do you have now, and what happened to them?

It's relatively easy to tell which pups will be high energy.... they are high energy even as little babies. Neither of mine were bouncy pups and they didn't grow into high energy dogs, they just stayed pretty much the same and got even calmer with maturity.

Edited by GayleK

Yep I had three. I am really missing having more than one dog. I couldn't get one yet but is never too early to start getting into a breed.

I know Collies do suit me and I would ALWAYS have one (or three, heh) but the only other breed I've had is a Shepherd. I love the LOOK of Aussies, but would have to be careful I didn't get a high energy one.

Thats a shame, they really shouldn't be IMO.

It's a herding breed that requires mental stimulation (sadly a lot of people buy them and have no idea how big one will get and how to cope with a breed that is so clever and the dogs go hyper on them. Look at all the border collies stuck in yards never getting out, same thing) and if it's not given, yes the dog will go silly (like all working breeds). Mine are show dogs and we dabble in obediance here and there (many of the dogs in my boys pedigree have obediance titles) and although they have moments of being silly I wouldn't call them hyper.

They can be a little silly when we get home but they settle quickly.

Edited by Wolfsong

What's the Aussie show scene like?

I haven't shown for a while as the Dustmite doesn't like it very much, but it's pretty friendly and there doesn't seem to be a lot of bitching (although maybe it just passes me by). When we first started I got heaps of help from some of the long-time Aussie people which was really appreciated and they seem to love seeing newcomers to the ring.

AWWW, my youngest goldie is very good, he's not very destructive at all, never has been, but then yes, my eldest is and still is if he wants to be, so do understand where you are coming from. I was going to suggest one until you said no.